Holly the Cafe Boat gives up on the Huddersfield Narrow canal

Pie Eater

Featured Posts

The HNC is certainly getting some attention!  Is there any other canal on the system so controversial?   My dozen transits, from the early days when boats were pulled through in trains of four, to a latterday attempt on a personal best Standedge time (1 hour 15 mins) were all different, all more or less challenging, but all contributed to my boating technique, sometimes in very unorthodox ways.

8 hours ago, Unicorn Stampede said:

When we went through stand edge, admittedly before COVID, the CRT volunteer had to stand at the front of the boat because 1) we have a trad rear and 2) he was on crutches

Once we encountered that, I did wonder what was the point of having a CRT person on board. We had to stop every quarter for him to clamber out on his crutches to ring through, then clamber back in again. No idea what would have happened if he had to climb.

I'd certainly not let some CRT flunky drive the boat through the tunnel for us - not sure why they would enforce that with COVID, especially when our experience showed they didn't need to be anywhere near the back.

Tha man on the crutches is Alister who damaged our boat. Never again would I allow CRT to take charge of our boat. 

• Greenie 1

Lock maintenance crew at 39 E in Marsden yesterday.  They didn't stop long so I can only assume the lock is in vgc (wink).  Many boats through here over the last week.

Lastly I wonder how the local businesses here would welcome another cafe boat (and I dont want the disposable cups tossed over my fence) .

Edited by jake_crew

2 hours ago, jake_crew said:

Lock maintenance crew at 39 E in Marsden yesterday.  They didn't stop long so I can only assume the lock is in vgc (wink).  Many boats through here over the last week.

Lastly I wonder how the local businesses here would welcome another cafe boat (and I dont want the disposable cups tossed over my fence) .

I see they’re in Marple this weekend. But it’s an interesting point how local cafes view these roving cafe boats as with all business times have been difficult over the last couple of years.
  Yes they’ll be paying business license and normal license for their boats and have the right to trade, but would casual canal users be more inclined to use a floating Narrowboat cafe for the novelty factor if one was moored near to a permanent canal side cafe?
93C1D754-576F-44A7-976D-6559B74CA24C.jpeg.0d14b8d68f2c6704ee165dcaa9d579c7.jpeg

Edited by BoatinglifeupNorth

2 hours ago, Pie Eater said:

I don't think that it would be wise to try to compete with canal side cafes.

They used to be around the Erewash,Trent area, now they seam to be moving around. Must be difficult to make a good living if not in a popular high footfall canal/towpath area and a lot of these areas have an established Cafe/Coffee shop be it permanent or a paid mobile pitch. 

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

Didn't that cause bit of a rumpus near the Shropie Fly a few years ago?

55 minutes ago, Goliath said:

It’s a bit naughty trading directly on the competitions doorstep. 

If that’s what was happening. 

Surely they must of done a bit of research before embarking on this business venture, especially with two boats and young family to support. As I said most popular places are likely to be catered for and I suspect there is a lot less trade in the winter months to make a good living. Unless they have other jobs to live off?

Looking at their Vlogs I image this must be the case as they have put on a few Vlogs of them travelling around Europe, unless a Canal Cafe boat is they way to go😂 They look a decent polite young family, good luck to them👍

35 minutes ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

Surely they must of done a bit of research before embarking on this business venture, especially with two boats and young family to support. As I said most popular places are likely to be catered for and I suspect there is a lot less trade in the winter months to make a good living. Unless they have other jobs to live off?

Looking at their Vlogs I image this must be the case as they have put on a few Vlogs of them travelling around Europe, unless a Canal Cafe boat is they way to go😂 They look a decent polite young family, good luck to them👍

image.thumb.png.fcd8b3b166c486cf2f4e685d940d238d.png

6 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

image.thumb.png.fcd8b3b166c486cf2f4e685d940d238d.png

Thanks for that, it say’s they’re now making £25K a year, not a great amount once you take out the business and normal license for their two boats also insurance and running costs, obviously must have some savings. As I said they look a nice young family, far more decent than a lot of I’ve seen come onto the system, so hope it all works out for them👍

My wife always says if you're going to open a shoe shop open it in a street with other shoe shops. 

Holly will have a trading license which allows her to trade on the canal. They will also have a food license to enable them to trade.

In any village, town, street how often do you see more than one cafe? I believe Holly The Cafe Boat will brings in their own customers by people who are following them on line. These people are potentially new customers for local cafes once they move on. 

Grandpa already has a local competitors, plus the local garden centre. Plus Uppermill which is a village of cafes. 

Thinking a business shouldn't trade on a canal because it effects local businesses. It  would stop every canal festival which is made up of trading boats. 

Let's hope the canal breaths life back into it. 

Enjoy 

17 hours ago, Steve Manc said:

Holly will have a trading license which allows her to trade on the canal. They will also have a food license to enable them to trade.

In any village, town, street how often do you see more than one cafe? I believe Holly The Cafe Boat will brings in their own customers by people who are following them on line. These people are potentially new customers for local cafes once they move on. 

Grandpa already has a local competitors, plus the local garden centre. Plus Uppermill which is a village of cafes. 

Thinking a business shouldn't trade on a canal because it effects local businesses. It  would stop every canal festival which is made up of trading boats. 

Let's hope the canal breaths life back into it. 

Enjoy 

Yes I know that, they will have all the trade/food/hygiene license and certification requirements. They don’t look the kind of couple that blag and chance it.

I doubt they will get hundreds of their subscribers following them everywhere they stop, a lot of Narrowboat Vlog subscribers what I’ve seen have never been near a canal or boat or even live in this country. 
 The impression I get is they have a bit money set aside for this and it’s more of a relaxed escape and slow down period. It may change once their son starts schooling as they look a well sensed couple who’ll realise they will need to be more stable. As I say they are a decent well mannered pair so wish them all the best and hopefully her Cook book may sell.

20 hours ago, Pie Eater said:

I don't think that it would be wise to try to compete with canal side cafes.

They turned up and moored next to us last year. They told me they do try to avoid trading close to similar existing canalside businesses.

Their cakes are delicious and the coffees are nice too. So nice in fact that we stayed moored there a day longer than we'd intended 🙂.

• Greenie 1

34 minutes ago, Grassman said:

They turned up and moored next to us last year. They told me they do try to avoid trading close to similar existing canalside businesses.

Their cakes are delicious and the coffees are nice too. So nice in fact that we stayed moored there a day longer than we'd intended 🙂.

Nice to hear from people who have actually met them on the canal be it fellow boaters or customer’s. They come across as a nice couple on their YouTube.

1 hour ago, Pie Eater said:

The cakes do look delicious and I wonder where they are going after Marple.

Sorry to say, I doubt I’ll be buying her cook book, just don’t think it’s worth it for a 150 page book, when there’s so many available on Amazon. I’ll try a cake though if I’m near, 

38267718-E40C-4456-8612-DB0FD0FEB680.jpeg.4e9f57ffd08d27fed81343886e5fd9c7.jpeg

3 hours ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

Nice to hear from people who have actually met them on the canal be it fellow boaters or customer’s. They come across as a nice couple on their YouTube.

I've met them on the towpath a couple of times and found them both charming and modest. Their son is lucky indeed to have such parents, and such a stimulating environment to grow up in.

• Greenie 1

Just now, Unicorn Stampede said:

Realistically, it's going to be some what expensive because of low volume printing costs. Printing isn't cheap. I can't imagine they're gonna be making an awful lot of money off them.

I also understood from the vlog that it's printed on hard-wearing paper which will stand up to use in damp kitchens or galleys.

2 hours ago, Unicorn Stampede said:

Realistically, it's going to be some what expensive because of low volume printing costs. Printing isn't cheap. I can't imagine they're gonna be making an awful lot of money off them.

Also It’s always going to be hard to compete with the likes of Amazon and EBay and after all it’s just a cake bake book and Mary Berry probably has the market in those.

Maybe if she could combine Canal travel, Boating anecdotes, regional recipes and maybe bring the mother/child baking into it and make it a bit more then just a cake baking book?
 It’s always going to be difficult for people to get the price/market balance right, especially with small print to order runs as you say.

5 hours ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

Sorry to say, I doubt I’ll be buying her cook book, just don’t think it’s worth it for a 150 page book, when there’s so many available on Amazon. I’ll try a cake though if I’m near, 

38267718-E40C-4456-8612-DB0FD0FEB680.jpeg.4e9f57ffd08d27fed81343886e5fd9c7.jpeg

To be fair, have you ever bought one of those cookbooks from Amazon? Unless it’s a legit author it’s usually a paperback with utter rubbish collated from the internet in it.

30 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

To be fair, have you ever bought one of those cookbooks from Amazon? Unless it’s a legit author it’s usually a paperback with utter rubbish collated from the internet in it.

This one is OK A Foodie Afloat: Amazon.co.uk: Di Murrell: 9781838593513: Books