freezer options

dreadnought

Featured Posts

hi,we are thinking of getting a counter top freezer for the nb this summer,i was wondering if any one on the forum uses a stand alone freezer and how do you power it,ie,12v or do you have an inverter running 24/7,we bought a dometic camping  compressor fridge freezer  its ok as a fridge but terrible as a freezer,any options welcome please,many thanks

We have an Argos small (table top) freezer on both boats.

They both sit happily running on 230v from the inverter(s)

The one on the cruiser is actually 'built in' under a seat in the dinette, with loads of ventilation otherwise it never stoppped running.

From memory, the cost of each was ~£80

I put a 92L 12v shoreline chest freezer on board last summer.

They do a smaller 35L which I think you can have on runners for it to go under counter.

Runs well.

Very pleased with it.

I’m yet to be persuaded to get an inverter.

The 12v freezer is obviously a more expensive item to buy.

I think it cost me £550, but I had spare cash.

draws an average 3Ah, don’t know how that compares with other freezers 🤷‍♀️ but I’m frequently opening and shutting mine all through the day.

Edited by Goliath

29 minutes ago, cuthound said:

I've run a small table top freezer on my victron 3000VA inverter for the last few years without any issues.

However it is a leisure boat, so the freezer is run off the shoreline when at its mooring.

The trouble here is unless the OP already has such an inverter, it will be cheaper (LOADS cheaper!) for them to spend £500 on a 12v freezer.

3 hours ago, dreadnought said:

we bought a dometic camping  compressor fridge freezer  its ok as a fridge but terrible as a freezer,

Thats interesting. Why did it not perform as a freezer? they usually say they can go down to -15'C.

I've got a 15 litre Dellonda cool box which was £200. It says it will do -15 but I only use it for cold beer in summer time. 

I'm intrigued as to why it would be no good as a freezer. Is it because it is not self draining?

Edited by magnetman

4 hours ago, MtB said:

Finding the 'right inverter' and setting it up correctly can however, be the problem! 

No its not.

Victron Multiplus Compact 1600/70 set up in search mode uses 2/3w when fridge/freezer is not cooling.

Just have to make sure the fridge/freezer is not an all singing all dancing electronic model.

Its been working for me with an LEC fridge for best part of 10 years.

5 minutes ago, Loddon said:

No its not.

Victron Multiplus Compact 1600/70 set up in search mode uses 2/3w when fridge/freezer is not cooling.

Just have to make sure the fridge/freezer is not an all singing all dancing electronic model.

Bear in mind that a modern "all singing all dancing" electronic fridge can be (but is not *guaranteed* to be!) considerably more efficient (but also more expensive...) than a 10 year old LEC, such that a modern inverter not in search mode powering one uses less energy than your setup... 😉

Edited by IanD

14 minutes ago, Loddon said:

No its not.

How much will one of them set the OP back then?

Edit to add:

Cheapest one on Amazon is £800. 

Edited by MtB

14 minutes ago, IanD said:

Bear in mind that a modern "all singing all dancing" electronic fridge can be (but is not *guaranteed* to be!) considerably more efficient (but also more expensive...) than a 10 year old LEC, such that a modern inverter not in search mode powering one uses less energy than your setup... 😉

LEC is only 2 years old it replaced a previous one that stopped cooling and ran 24/7.

8 watts as opposed to 2 watts if you take the inverter  out of search mode.

17 minutes ago, MtB said:

How much will one of them set the OP back then?

He may already have one ;)

14 minutes ago, Loddon said:

LEC is only 2 years old it replaced a previous one that stopped cooling and ran 24/7.

8 watts as opposed to 2 watts if you take the inverter  out of search mode.

He may already have one ;)

Same still applies though -- LEC are not known as the most energy-efficient fridges. But they are relatively cheap... 😉

Not saying your solution is a bad one, just that your anti-modern-fridge viewpoint might not be justified as far as power consumption is concerned. Also inverter search mode screws up anything else on the boat that expects to have AC power all the time, like appliance clocks and timers -- if you have any, which of course you may not have... 🙂

Just now, IanD said:

Same still applies though -- LEC are not known as the most energy-efficient fridges. But they are relatively cheap... 😉

Not saying your solution is a bad one, just that your anti-modern-fridge viewpoint might not be justified as far as power consumption is concerned. Also inverter search mode screws up anything else on the boat that expects to have AC power all the time, like appliance clocks and timers -- if you have any, which of course you may not have... 🙂

The only thing affected by search is the V/A meter on the inverter output, keeps flashing so it now has an on off switch so its only on when I want to read it.

I'm not anti modern fridges but they are like a lot of electronic controlled devices that tend not to work on an inverter  even when not in search mode, I can live without them.

I just got rid of my tabletop freezer. Once the price of shore power had quadrupled last November I installed solar panels and now I'm 95% off-grid (and that was over winter).

I have a mains fridge running from my inverter but to me it seems electrically wasteful to also use my batteries to keep a permanent stock of food frozen solid. There are plenty of retail outlets around with large amounts of chilled and frozen food.

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 4

1 hour ago, Loddon said:

The only thing affected by search is the V/A meter on the inverter output, keeps flashing so it now has an on off switch so its only on when I want to read it.

I'm not anti modern fridges but they are like a lot of electronic controlled devices that tend not to work on an inverter  even when not in search mode, I can live without them.

You may not be anti modern fridges but I reckon I’m anti inverters. 😃

Does me head in when I read the pros and cons of them. very confusing. 

I think unless I want power tools or kettles why have one?

Just something to go wrong, install wrong, play up, blow up and take up space. 

(Might be worth it for the luxury of a proper toaster mind.)

15 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Might be worth it for the luxury of a proper toaster mind

Not to mention sandwich maker or a slow cooker ;)

Inverters are simple things that's how I understand them   

29 minutes ago, Goliath said:

You may not be anti modern fridges but I reckon I’m anti inverters. 😃

Does me head in when I read the pros and cons of them. very confusing. 

I think unless I want power tools or kettles why have one?

Just something to go wrong, install wrong, play up, blow up and take up space. 

(Might be worth it for the luxury of a proper toaster mind.)

Microwave

1 minute ago, Goliath said:

Nope!

Never had one in house. 

Horrible things. 

A cooker wants to be capable of heating up a piece of metal otherwise it is too dodgy. 

My bacon is cooking on an induction hob powered by a Prosine 1800 inverter and lithium battery charged by solar. 

In an aluminium pan. 

What?