oil level

Featured Posts

hi guys, i change the oil on my 1800 bmc at the start of every season, the book(workshop manual) says it holds about 4.5 litres but from the full marker on the dipstick to empty sump its only 2litres, is this normal on this engine?many thanks...

Just now, dreadnought said:

hi guys, i change the oil on my 1800 bmc at the start of every season, the book(workshop manual) says it holds about 4.5 litres but from the full marker on the dipstick to empty sump its only 2litres, is this normal on this engine?many thanks...

I would say not, The only engine I know that has that low an oil capacity in my lawn mower. One of two things, wrong dip stick or the sump wasnt emptied.

8 minutes ago, dreadnought said:

I reckon I usually take close to 4L out of mine, maybe just 3 1/2 at the least. 
That’s pumping it out, not draining from the plug. 

2L litres don’t sound enough.

Are you removing with a pump?

Edited by Goliath

That doesn't sound anything like enough.

Are you draining via sump plug, rather than pumping oil out?

Part of the overall figure in the workshop manual will be in the oil filter housing, of course.  The operators manual say 0.71 litres in the filter, and 4.66 litres foe engine INCLUDING filter.  I make that 3.95 litres as the most you are likely to drain via the sump plug, (which would indicate you are only about half draining it.

It is not unknown for these engines to have the wrong length dip stick - it might be worth checking against somebody else's 1800 engine.

27 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Next time you drain it via the sump plug and change the filter,  add 4.66 litres, start it, stop it and mark the dipstick after 10 minutes where the full mark is. The low mark is 10mm lower.

The difference on mine is marked at perhaps 20mm?

and I think it’s a litre difference. 

Sometime I’ll check 

10 minutes ago, Goliath said:

The difference on mine is marked at perhaps 20mm?

and I think it’s a litre difference. 

Sometime I’ll check 

It really doesn't matter if its a pint or a litre. As long as there is oil on the end of the stick, the pump will pick it up and the engine will be fine providing the pressure builds up promptly on start up.

• Greenie 1

5 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

It really doesn't matter if its a pint or a litre. As long as there is oil on the end of the stick, the pump will pick it up and the engine will be fine providing the pressure builds up promptly on start up.

There is a slight problem developing here, related to cars. 

Back in the day when we had proper engines in our cars such as BMC A Series and B series, and Lotus twin cams, the oil warning light on the dash was really important. If the oil light came on it meant oil pressure had gone and we needed to stop the engine NOW or suffer serious damage.  This still applies to most narrowboat engines. 

Fast forward to today and the oil light on car dashboards is no longer a pressure sensor but a level sensor. So if your oil warning symbol appears on the dash (or like my van a written message saying "Add 1 litre of oil"), one can safely ignore it for ages. If people transfer this practise of ignoring the oil level warning to their boats with oil pressure warning lights, they are probably in for an unexpected engine rebuild.

• Greenie 1

My Ford Kuga doesnt actually have a mark on the dipstick showing where the level should be.

It was never pointed out to me untill my local mechanic did its first independent service.

He just filled it with the specified amount of oil and showed me on the dipstick where I should fill it to.

1 hour ago, M_JG said:

My Ford Kuga doesnt actually have a mark on the dipstick showing where the level should be.

It was never pointed out to me untill my local mechanic did its first independent service.

He just filled it with the specified amount of oil and showed me on the dipstick where I should fill it to.

If the dipstick doesn't have a line on it, what's the point of having a dipstick?

9 hours ago, David Mack said:

If the dipstick doesn't have a line on it, what's the point of having a dipstick?

I honestly cannot answer that.

It does have a 'oil low level' warning but as to the point of the dipstick no idea. I actually think it is an error.

At first I thought the marks were just so faint I simply couldn't see them but they are definitely not there.

15 minutes ago, M_JG said:

It does have a 'oil low level' warning but as to the point of the dipstick no idea.

So if the 'oil low level' warning lights up, how do you know how much oil to add? Or are you supposed the drain the engine completely and refill with the specified amount of new oil?

• Unimpressed 1

6 minutes ago, David Mack said:

So if the 'oil low level' warning lights up, how do you know how much oil to add? Or are you supposed the drain the engine completely and refill with the specified amount of new oil?

As I posted earlier (I think) when it went in for a service at a none Ford dealership it was re-filled with the specified amount of oil as dictated by Ford. The (Independent) mechanic who spotted the issue noted on the dipstick where the level came to and showed me when I collected the car. 

I just keep it to that, (though It rarely needs topping up between services).

Edited by M_JG

1 minute ago, cuthound said:

I suppose it could be used to confirm why the engine has siezed... 😂

I'm guessing but can't say for certain that the ECU would store the low oil warning messages so even if someone refilled it after seizing Ford could tell???

Not 100% sure on that though.

11 hours ago, David Mack said:

It's a digital dipstick.

1>> oil on dipstick means you have oil, and probably enough.

0 >> no oil on dipstick means you haven't.

14 minutes ago, M_JG said:

I'm guessing but can't say for certain that the ECU would store the low oil warning messages so even if someone refilled it after seizing Ford could tell???

Not 100% sure on that though.

The ECU doesn't need a working engine to record events!

On 12/04/2023 at 15:31, Goliath said:

I reckon I usually take close to 4L out of mine, maybe just 3 1/2 at the least. 
That’s pumping it out, not draining from the plug. 

2L litres don’t sound enough.

Are you removing with a pump?

i always warm the engine up first,i`ve tried emptying both ways from down the dipstick hole with a pump,and also the pump thats on the side of the engine,still only about two litres, 

On 12/04/2023 at 23:38, M_JG said:

The interesting thing is Ford think the dipstick does have min and max marks and quote not only the total oil quantities but the volumes between min and max, which vary according to the engine size.

Depending on how much this worries you (or not), it might be worth sticking your nose round the door of a Ford Dealership and asking them to show you how to check your oil.  If nothing else you might get a new dipstick out of them 🙂.

1 hour ago, Ken X said:

The interesting thing is Ford think the dipstick does have min and max marks and quote not only the total oil quantities but the volumes between min and max, which vary according to the engine size.

Depending on how much this worries you (or not), it might be worth sticking your nose round the door of a Ford Dealership and asking them to show you how to check your oil.  If nothing else you might get a new dipstick out of them 🙂.

Tbh it doesnt concern me. I know where to keep it to after being shown where when it was filled with the correct amount after a service.

I dont actually rate Ford's customer service either to be frank.

The dealer actually gave me the wrong service intervals when I bought the car and I went over on its mileage for its first service. They even wrote it in the service schedule. When I asked what would happen warranty wise if the engine failed and the service hadnt been carried out correctly Ford wouldnt confirm it wouldnt be an issue.

The correct response would have been to reassure me that as it wasnt my error but the dealer's there would definitely not be a problem.

I like the car though.

On 12/04/2023 at 23:32, MtB said:

Fast forward to today and the oil light on car dashboards is no longer a pressure sensor but a level sensor. So if your oil warning symbol appears on the dash (or like my van a written message saying "Add 1 litre of oil"), one can safely ignore it for ages. If people transfer this practise of ignoring the oil level warning to their boats with oil pressure warning lights, they are probably in for an unexpected engine rebuild.

Not on my D5 it isn't - its a pressure warning light - Mind you it also has an oil filter that you change by unscrewing the top and then swapping the element before screwing the top back on.

Edited by StephenA

1 hour ago, M_JG said:

Tbh it doesnt concern me. I know where to keep it to after being shown where when it was filled with the correct amount after a service.

I dont actually rate Ford's customer service either to be frank.

I like the car though.

I have to agree with you there.  The company hacks were Fords so main dealer it was.  My local dealer was abysmal, totally incompetent every time.  Ended up driving 30 miles to another dealer who was the complete opposite. Helpful, efficient, serviced the car whilst I waited if it was a short service and couldn't do enough.  Boss muttered about wasted time but agreed that the quality of service made it worth the drive.