Wifi outdoor aerial for 3 huawei router .

Greg & Jax

Featured Posts

Hi all .

We have recently moved marina,s and now our  3 signal is a bit slow . 

Looking into weather we need a outdoor aerial and if so what other people are using .

My understanding of WiFi is not the best 🤣 .

Any pointers would be great .

Edited by Greg & Jax

I did a little search on here and that name came up a xpol but went and looked and I read that 3 and Vodafone don't work so well on them .

Thats when I decided to see if anyone actually uses a outdoor aerial on 3 . 

Thanks matty. ⁹

I on 3, have a Huawei 525, and use a Poynting aeriel, cant remember which model(and I'm not going outside to find out as its filthy again out there).

We have had faultless service for 3 years now, in lots of locations, it streams Netflix and Amazon with no buffering. It even worked up the Welford arm, which surprised me.

• Greenie 2

We have a similar system to matty40s and it has worked really well when out and about, never not had at a minimum 5-6 Mbps download and often higher than 50 Mbps but in the marina that can drop to 1-2 Mbps and occasionally down to dial up speeds - that's because of the number of people here all trying to be online at the same time. Right now it is showing as 6.68 download and  15.89 upload. In a 'normal' situation I would expect at least twice as much download as upload, so is an indication of how busy it is here at the moment.

Just to show how contrary the internet can be, we were moored opposite the cake factory to the north of Banbury centre and could not get a signal at all. Don't know what made me try it, but I disconnected the aerial and moved the router next to the front doors and was getting 30 Mbps!

Be careful the 3  5g routers as they only have sockets for 5g aerials not 4g. So you will either have to add them or struggle when there is no 5g signal*. Also with new 3 contracts you don't own the router its only on loan from 3 and has to be sent back after use.

Personally if I was on the boat full time would buy a 4g router and get one of the rural sims mentioned earlier. If not still buy a router and go Smarty.

*5g is dependent on having a 4g signal

Edited by Loddon

17 minutes ago, Midnight said:

I'm considering getting a three 5g router any idea which external antenna is the best choice. 

https://www.three.co.uk/broadband/home-broadband

Someone once suggested this one. But sit down before you look at the cost. 

https://www.co-star.co.uk/16752/4-x-4-mimo-dual-shark-fin-5g-wi-fi-and-gps-antenna/

• Horror 1

59 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Someone once suggested this one. But sit down before you look at the cost. 

https://www.co-star.co.uk/16752/4-x-4-mimo-dual-shark-fin-5g-wi-fi-and-gps-antenna/

As Matty mentioned I'm a Yorkshireman so will have to go to A&E after clicking those links. 😆

1 hour ago, Loddon said:

Be careful the 3  5g routers as they only have sockets for 5g aerials not 4g. So you will either have to add them or struggle when there is no 5g signal*. Also with new 3 contracts you don't own the router its only on loan from 3 and has to be sent back after use.

Personally if I was on the boat full time would buy a 4g router and get one of the rural sims mentioned earlier. If not still buy a router and go Smarty.

Now you got me thinking. I want it for our forthcoming cruise around the country maybe 5g not for me then. Any suggestions for a router and aerial?

Edited by Midnight

2 hours ago, Loddon said:

The Three 5G routers have 4 external antenna connectors -- which cover both 4G and 5G -- and they all need connecting. The routers can be bought secondhand off Ebay for £170, they're unlocked so you can use any SIM including Smarty and Scancom.

1 minute ago, IanD said:

Mine came from CoStar and cost less then half that, no idea why the price on their website is so high...

Availability, stuff is going up off the radar at present due to China supply problems and also rising demand issues.

1 minute ago, matty40s said:

Availability, stuff is going up off the radar at present due to China supply problems and also rising demand issues.

Maybe, maybe not. You could get in touch with CoStar and ask for a quote like I did, for the cheaper version with just 4x4 MIMO for 4G/5G and no Wi-Fi or GPS... 😉

32 minutes ago, IanD said:

Maybe, maybe not. You could get in touch with CoStar and ask for a quote like I did, for the cheaper version with just 4x4 MIMO for 4G/5G and no Wi-Fi or GPS... 😉

Some people have the luxury of too much time on their hands.😁

7 hours ago, IanD said:

The Three 5G routers have 4 external antenna connectors -- which cover both 4G and 5G -- and they all need connecting. The routers can be bought secondhand off Ebay for £170, they're unlocked so you can use any SIM including Smarty and Scancom.

Interesting, my ex three 5g router only has two sockets and destructions say they are 5g. Hence my comment.

I guess they have changed the model they supply. 

Edited by Loddon

7 hours ago, matty40s said:

Some people have the luxury of too much time on their hands.😁

Some people prefer to rely on facts instead of speculating... 😉

29 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Interesting, my ex three 5g router only has two sockets and destructions say they are 5g. Hence my comment.

I guess they have changed the model they supply. 

Yes they have, new one is a Zyxel NR5103E 🙂

10 hours ago, matty40s said:

Yep, that's what I've got, glad it was you having a look out there in this wind!!

Yes that price is for me - little snag ... fastest delivery April 22 - May 5. Details ...
Leaving for the Wash, Nene & London next Tuesday back in October

3 hours ago, Midnight said:

Yes that price is for me - little snag ... fastest delivery April 22 - May 5. Details ...
Leaving for the Wash, Nene & London next Tuesday back in October

Find a handy Amazon locker on your route and have it delivered there, we've done that a few times now when out cruising and needing something delivered.