Hoo Mill Lock, Trent & Mersey

Cheshire cat

Featured Posts

Just me being nosey.

I couldn't help noticing this week that many of the residents that previously occupied the linear moorings above and below the lock have upped stcks and moved away. The place almost looks abandoned. Is something afoot? I know HS2 will be passing pretty close but as it will be part of phase 2 it's years off yet.

3 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

There is lots of work for HS2 going on in that area.  Boats started disappearing from there the back end of last year.

Saw that. In fact some of those moorings looked abandoned. Bloody HS2.

• Greenie 1

It's probably similar the the Wood End moorings further down the T&M near Fradley. They were thrown off their moorings because the construction of HS2 meant they no longer had access to them from the road. Apparently those moorings will be reinstated once the construction work is finished, and they'll have a few years of peace and quiet again before the trains start running.

55 minutes ago, Grassman said:

It's probably similar the the Wood End moorings further down the T&M near Fradley. They were thrown off their moorings because the construction of HS2 meant they no longer had access to them from the road. Apparently those moorings will be reinstated once the construction work is finished, and they'll have a few years of peace and quiet again before the trains start running.

You may well be right. I was looking at the maps for HS2 last night. The railway crosses the canal just to the north of Great Haywood marina. I believe there is a band either side that is considered to be land required for the duration of construction. 

Down at Wood End work is ongoing where the track will be tangential to the canal before joining West Coast Mainline at Armitage. There's also an embankment being built to the south of the canal just before Fradley Top Lock for the spur that will feed phase 2 but nothing as yet on the north side other than ground clearance being complete. 

1 hour ago, Cheshire cat said:

You may well be right. I was looking at the maps for HS2 last night. The railway crosses the canal just to the north of Great Haywood marina. I believe there is a band either side that is considered to be land required for the duration of construction. 

Down at Wood End work is ongoing where the track will be tangential to the canal before joining West Coast Mainline at Armitage. There's also an embankment being built to the south of the canal just before Fradley Top Lock for the spur that will feed phase 2 but nothing as yet on the north side other than ground clearance being complete. 

the IWA have written a mass of reports on this,

I’ll see if I can find them again, I stumbled on them by accident,

a really interested read regards the impact it’ll have, whether for habitation, noise pollution or visual impact and so on,

they go in to a lot of detail,

39 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Work had started around there last time I went passed and that was probably early last year

It was March, this from my blog

image.png.4d818435ac68bfe5eb0f55ea9355be11.png

I understand there’s gonna be quite a high viaduct built?

4 hours ago, Cheshire cat said:

These are the HS2 working areas around Hoo Mill Lock and Great Haywood Marina. The light pink is "Extent of land potentially required during construction for mitigation planting" and the slightly darker pink is "Land potentially required during construction".

Untitled.png.c3fb7b139d8521445d5ed9eeeffcede8.png

Source: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/628316/E19_VOL2_CA02_WATERMARKED.pdf linked from https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/hs2-phase-2a-environmental-statement-volume-2-community-area-reports-and-map-books

• Greenie 1

Thanks for that David. It's obvious from the drawings that everything below Hoo Mill is going to be impacted badly. Above the lock, perhaps not so much. 

One byproduct of all the activity is the dust cloud. We moor at Huddlesford and are suffering from similar earth movements where the line is being constructed so as to dive under the WCML and the A38. It was planned to put HS2 on an embankment at Huddlesford originally until the locals pointed out how high it would need to be to clear the existing electricity cables for the WCML which itself is raised above normal ground level at that point.

2 hours ago, Cheshire cat said:

Thanks for that David. It's obvious from the drawings that everything below Hoo Mill is going to be impacted badly. Above the lock, perhaps not so much. 

Close to the viaduct crossing the impact is inevitable, but closer to Hoo Mill the activity between the canal and the river is only 'mitigation planting' which is described elsewhere as 'creation of wetland habitat' and on the offside everything is the far side of the railway. So I'm not sure that is sufficient impact to justify clearing the moorings.