Calor discontinuing some of their range

Philip

Featured Posts

14 minutes ago, Loddon said:

We had  8kWh today.  Last Monday was double that ;)

3 minutes ago, George and Dragon said:

Most we've seen is 17kWh. System was only installed 3 weeks ago.

Are these on narrowboats or widebeams?

And have either of you two checked the forum title recently?!

• Horror 1

12 minutes ago, George and Dragon said:

Most we've seen is 17kWh. System was only installed 3 weeks ago.

Hopefully you will see over 5MWh by this time next year. ;)

Wait until the summer, long days high sun more power than you can use.

Octopus have the best export tarriff if you are on one of their import tarriffs

Edited by Loddon

• 1 month later...

Well, it looks as if Calor are having a partial rethink about discontinuing 3.9kg propane and 4.5kg butane cylinders:

https://www.boatsafetyscheme.org/media/299380/nr23-001-calors-new-position-on-small-cylinder-filling-6apr23-wip.pdf 

What is clear is that these sizes will become increasingly difficult to obtain as the float of serviceable cylinders reduces, not that they are particularly easy to get hold off now. I don't regret getting my gas locker modified to take 6kg propane cylinders though.

The most interesting bit in that is this-

In January we announced plans to streamline our small cylinder range to help put us in a better position to service our wider cylinder customers who rely on us to provide their home heating and hot water.

Implying that even the larger cylinders that boaters, caravanners and motorhomers use are not a priority either.

Just now, Loddon said:

Flogas do a very nice 3.9kg propane cylinder ;)

The problem is that no other company has the distribution network that Calor have.

How many canal side sellers sell anything other than Calor ?, and, if you go to change your 'Flogas' cylinder at another company outlet, you cannot.

Reads to me that as the cylinders  become unserviceable they wont be replaced  so an ever dwindling stock.

Natural wastage springs to mind.

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The problem is that no other company has the distribution network that Calor have.

Have you looked at Flogas?

Lots stocked in diy sheds down here,  I have the same amount of choice  be it Flogas or Calor.

Edited by Loddon

4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

How many canal side sellers sell anything other than Calor ?, and, if you go to change your 'Flogas' cylinder at another company outlet, you cannot.

Does that suggest you can change your calor cylinder at another company, I thought calor were only accepted by calor dealers.

8 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Flogas do a very nice 3.9kg propane cylinder ;)

Do you happen to know if it is higher than the Calor ones and if so by how much?

14 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Reads to me that as the cylinders  become unserviceable they wont be replaced  so an ever dwindling stock.

Natural wastage springs to mind.

Have you looked at Flogas?

Lots stocked in diy sheds down here,  I have the same amount of choice  be it Flogas or Calor.

11 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Does that suggest you can change your calor cylinder at another company, I thought calor were only accepted by calor dealers.

No - only Calor sellers - but it is never a problem because 'every' canal side seller, petrol station, garden centre, etc seems to be a Calor outlet

Edited by Alan de Enfield

It is remarkable how many gas bottles Flogas will take. The only exception seems to be Calor. 

I don't know if Calor do the same thing with defunct brands. Maybe they do. 

https://www.flogas.co.uk/gas-bottles/brands

The implication is that they own all these brands but I don't think it is likely. They don't pay for them but "accept them". 

No - only Calor sellers - but it is never a problem because 'every' canal side seller, petrol station, garden centre, etc seems to be a Calor outlet

Thank you.   Incidentally, I notice the Flogas claim on their website:

We have depots across the UK
more than any other LPG supplier

Which I find hard to believe.

12 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Do you happen to know if it is higher than the Calor ones and if so by how much?

3.9kg Propane FloGas

Specification

• Capacity: 3.9kg
  • Tare Weight: 6.2kg
  • Height: 340mm - 370mm approx*
  • Diameter: 240mm approx
  • Recommended Offtake: 25,000 BTU / hr

Please note: cylinder sizes may vary in both height and width. If you require a specific size we recommend collecting from your local Flogas stockist. 

1 minute ago, Jerra said:

Thank you.   Incidentally, I notice the Flogas claim on their website:

We have depots across the UK
more than any other LPG supplier

Which I find hard to believe.

Maybe they mean direct sale depots rarher then resellers. 

Could be true but most people on boats would never be interacting with them. 

If the CRT had based their licensing costs on size of gas bottle and hit people with the 3.9/4.5 so hard it made it completely unaffordable to own these boats then this problem would never have cropped up on canals.

3.9kg Propane FloGas

Specification

• Capacity: 3.9kg
  • Tare Weight: 6.2kg
  • Height: 340mm - 370mm approx*
  • Diameter: 240mm approx
  • Recommended Offtake: 25,000 BTU / hr

Please note: cylinder sizes may vary in both height and width. If you require a specific size we recommend collecting from your local Flogas stockist. 

Many thanks.

Locally in Cumbria, it seems the major stockists, apart from Flogas depot Carlisle, are B&M stores and Homebase.

Just now, Jerra said:

Locally in Cumbria, it seems the major stockists, apart from Flogas depot Carlisle, are B&M stores and Homebase.

Beaten by a short head.

Calor Gas's huge u turn is interesting.  Wonder if its because their suppliers have ditched them in place of firms like Flo Gas?  Certainly a number of coastal marina's have made the switch.

Whilst it may not be a long term solution, perhaps relieve the demand this summer until other firms can step up.  

Would I trust Calor again? nah and we have already made the switch the electric cooking with gas only as a back up.

Camping Gaz.jpg

Flo Gas also do a couple of 'lite' cylinders. If that is important.

Calor gave their version up a while ago.

Edited by M_JG

27 minutes ago, Pete7 said:

......................switch the electric cooking with gas only as a back up.

If all you can get is Gaz, I understand why it is emergency use only

£41 for 4.8kg "Gaz" when 4.5Kg from "Calor" is £18.95

Edited by Alan de Enfield

The proximity of the top of my gas locker to the water line limits my options and I’m absolutely not going to build a locker above deck height as that would spoil the looks of the boat.

So it looks like FloGas sooner or later. It’ll need some planning unless some canalside businesses switch over from Calor to FloGas. But the 3.9kg cylinders are small and light enough that it isn’t imperative that the dealer is on the bankside.

I’m sure I’ll manage and as a back up I think I know someone that can refill Calor bottles.

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

If all you can get is Gaz, I understand why it is emergency use only

£41 for 4.8kg "Gaz" when 4.5Kg from "Calor" is £18.95

Camping Gaz has always been a rip off. It was £32 a bottle for the 2.7kg bottles when we sold the boat.

Guess they are more now, but they were all that would fit in the gas locker on the boat we had.