Calor discontinuing some of their range

Philip

Featured Posts

They probably have moles and Boat Safety inspectors giving them this sort of information. 

;) You are being watched. 

They probably have moles and Boat Safety inspectors giving them this sort of information. 

Also with computers you get Algo Rhythms. Very clever little rhythms these ones. They pick up all sorts of nuances. 

5 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Also with computers you get Algo Rhythms. Very clever little rhythms these ones. They pick up all sorts of nuances. 

The next boat safety update will likely require that cylinder numbers be logged, like the fire extinguishers, and that any exchange of cylinder is notified to the BSS office. 

2 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Well, if I worked for Calor, it is possible I would know more about how they operate with regard to their cylinder refill agreement, and how, if at all, they enforce it.

You wouldn't say even if you did work for Calor. You could be making some beer money here. How much do they (in theory) pay per recovered bottle and what is the average fine for people taken to the cleaners? 

This could be lucrative. 

2 minutes ago, magnetman said:

You wouldn't say even if you did work for Calor. You could be making some beer money here. How much do they (in theory) pay per recovered bottle and what is the average fine for people taken to the cleaners? 

This could be lucrative. 

Damn. Busted (as opposed to dambusters)

10 minutes ago, magnetman said:

This could be lucrative. 

Surely you rememebr the (several) amnestys that Calor have actioned over the last few years - I lose track of time, but think th last one was a couple of years ago (maybe just pre-covid) where they paid (no questions asked) £7 for each cylinder returned.

I 'sold' a lot to them but still have 20 or 30 lying around the site, from the small 3.9kg right up to the 47kgs, and have both Butane and Propane - roll on the next amnesty.

This was the one in 2016

7 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Surely you rememebr the (several) amnestys that Calor have actioned over the last few years - I lose track of time, but think th last one was a couple of years ago (maybe just pre-covid) where they paid (no questions asked) £7 for each cylinder returned.

I 'sold' a lot to them but still have 20 or 30 lying around the site, from the small 3.9kg right up to the 47kgs, and have both Butane and Propane - roll on the next amnesty.

This was the one in 2016

That does raise rather an important question. Are there any boat subjects on this forum that have not been discussed before. Is it just the players that have changed, or maybe just forgotten what they have said in the past.

Hi to my future self reading this thread in 2028. Boy, you thought energy prices were high then. You wait until now.

Edited by rusty69
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

This was the one in 2016

Well, having read that thread, there appeared to be a shortage of 3.9 bottles in 2016, and a shortage of delivery drivers too, based on one persons experience.

That didn't surprise me too much. What did surprise me though was that Athy had managed to persuade so may people to fit his gas bottles for him.

I wonder if I have been missing a trick here, and could persuade people to empty my toilet for me for free if they got to keep the contents.

• Horror 1

One of the coal boats was paying £15 for empty Calor bottles recently. 

I had a theory as to why but it may be wrong. 

23 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

That does raise rather an important question. Are there any boat subjects on this forum that have not been discussed before. Is it just the players that have changed, or maybe just forgotten what they have said in the past.

Hi to my future self reading this thread in 2028. Boy, you thought energy prices were high then. You wait until now.

Self-reading threads. Is that like a self driving car? Could be handy. 

24 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

That does raise rather an important question. Are there any boat subjects on this forum that have not been discussed before. 

This question has been asked before ;)

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, magnetman said:

4. Use of Cylinders

Cylinders may be used only as a container for Gas and not be sold, exchanged (other than for the Purpose of the Agreement), hired, assigned, transferred, mortgaged, lent, abandoned, nor damaged, decanted, filled or tampered with.

--------

When you sell the boat it is transferred. This is not allowed to happen with the gas bottles apparently. 

ETA I should add I thought rusty just said remove the bottles. I don't think he will have to return them to Calor but they will need to be removed per the agreement. 

The purpose of the agreement is for Calor to sell gas. Whether it's to the person who paid the deposit or his/her successor would seem irrelevant.

(At least two devils' advocates on this forum!  :cheers:. )

1 hour ago, rusty69 said:

A self a driving car would be handy for someone with a driving ban. Do you need a driving license for a self driving car? 

You do actually know the answer to that is 'yes' dont you?

3 hours ago, rusty69 said:

Well, if I worked for Calor, it is possible I would know more about how they operate with regard to their cylinder refill agreement, and how, if at all, they enforce it.

Don't be ridiculous .

If you started filling their cylinders and  selling them you would attract their interest 

Otherwise no problem.

On 27/01/2023 at 13:29, rusty69 said:

The next boat safety update will likely require that cylinder numbers be logged, like the fire extinguishers, and that any exchange of cylinder is notified to the BSS office. 

Sounds an excellent idea to me! 

Also, the proposal that you'll have to employ a Gas Safe Registered technician to cook your lunch on a gas cooker.

• Haha 1

On 21/01/2023 at 21:04, Alan de Enfield said:

It is quite simple and works out far, far, far, cheaper than buying a 3.9kg refil ever did - however - from memory, in the past you have severely castigated me for explaining how it could be done.

Refilling gas cartridges / cylinders is done frequently by campers and walkers.

For the Propane fills you'll need one of these POL to POL connector and hose. (about £5)

A8.jpg

image.png.4eefd9eae70ffa3722a9e05d2ac4d6b5.png

• Greenie 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry if this has been posted before - I've not read the whole thread - but here is a response from a Calor to a GOBA member ..

Dear Mr XXX

Thank you for taking the time to contact me and highlight your concerns over the recent announcement about our small cylinder range. This decision is not one we have taken lightly but it is essential to enable us improve the reliability and availability of our overall cylinder supply operations.

As outlined in our original announcement, we do understand that it will impact some users of these products, who will need to make modifications or source alternative products in order to continue using certain facilities. We have offered suggestions for different products in our range and also some alternative products, but we also know that the market is a competitive one and other suppliers provide similar sized products to those we are withdrawing.

Spaces and lockers that have been purpose built for a specific cylinder size (e.g. as you mention in relation to the Boat Safety Scheme) were not part of a Calor initiative and we cannot be held responsible for continual supply of the products on this basis. I know this is not the decision you would like us to make, but it is vital for us to rationalise the range and make service improvements.

Yours sincerely
Rogerio Lopes
Rogerio Lopes
Executive PA
Tachbrook Park
Athena House, Athena Drive, Tachbrook Park, Warwick, Warwickshire, CV34 6RL