Calor discontinuing some of their range

Philip

Featured Posts

Talking to my local Farm Supplies 'shop' who are agents for Energas, he tells me that he has been having huge problems getting supplies of the small Butane & Propane, I asked him if he thought this was because of Calors' announcement, but he thought not.

He has head rumours that Energas may going down the same route as Calor.

Energas operates mainly across the central belt of England.

They are part of Air Liquide group which is actually far bigger than Calor as they operate in 75 countries with 66,400 employees

Screenshot (1920).png

Edited by Alan de Enfield

The obvious solution is simply for the small bottles to be sold to Flogas for scrap value. They can then repaint them, test and refill them. It's just a steel cannister at the end of the day. Flogas will obviously be taking up the market so it would seem a bit churlish to not do a deal given that the bottles are worth virtually nothing as scrap. 

I know it is business so probably won't happen but slightly silly. 

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Talking to my local Farm Supplies 'shop' who are agents for Energas, he tells me that he has been having huge problems getting suplies of the small Butane & Propane, I asked him if he thought this was becasue of Calors announcement but he thought not.

He has head rumours that Energas are going down the same route as Calor.

Energas operates mainly across the central belt of England.

They are part of Air Liquide group which is actually far bigger than Calor as they operate in 75 countries with 66,400 employees

Is that the rumour that Calor, like many other companies, are still using covid as an excuse to cover up the shortcomings in their businesses? 

Still, I suppose Calor could do the decent thing and offer their bottles to another supplier. 

23 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Yeah, Calor have a point. Boat builders that were stupid enough to churn out thousands of boats with gas locker sizes based around standard sizes are clearly to blame. 

It is a nuisance that the Flogas bottles have a larger diameter ring on the base. Makes all the difference. 

I can use little bottles or the 6kg type as they are same diameter. Other boat uses 13. It probably is worth keeping a few of these little bottles in case refilling them oneself becomes an attractive solution. 

If they get returned it seems to me these rather nice little items are going to be crushed and made into bean tins. 

4 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Is that the rumour that Calor, like many other companies, are still using covid as an excuse to cover up the shortcomings in their businesses? 

Still, I suppose Calor could do the decent thing and offer their bottles to another supplier. 

Calor is part of SHV group so probably not a very important business. 

Owned by a Dutch patrician dynasty apparently. Whatever that is

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fentener_van_Vlissingen

"SHV Holdings is a privately owned Dutch trading company, regarded as one of the world's largest private trading groups"

I somehow doubt they will be all that concerned about a few Moody yacht owners. 

Edited by magnetman

7 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Calor is part of SHV group so probably not a very important business. 

Owned by a Dutch patrician dynasty apparently. Whatever that is

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fentener_van_Vlissingen

"SHV Holdings is a privately owned Dutch trading company, regarded as one of the world's largest private trading groups"

I somehow doubt they will be all that concerned about a few Moody yacht owners. 

Looks like Calor have a new excuse 

https://www.calor.co.uk/cylinder-range-faq

Screenshot_20230214-084427.png

Edited by rusty69

7 minutes ago, George and Dragon said:

Totally unexpected: cold snaps in winter. Whatever next?

I know eh. Who knew. 

16 minutes ago, magnetman said:

somehow doubt they will be all that concerned about a few Moody yacht owners

Hey, I am not a moody yacht owner. How dare you. 

Edited by rusty69

Maybe calor have made a big investment in unusually large holesaws which they can then sell to everyone with a gas locker specifically designed for a Calor 4.5kg butane bottle. 

Ransom job I reckon. People will pay a lot of money for that sort of tool. 

Even better would be hire by the minute. Or second. 

Edited by magnetman
Typo
  • Haha 1

Just now, Peanut said:

They would rent you the hole saw, then charge you to change the blade with their proprietary fitting.

That may be a valid comment if Calor did actually have a 'proprietary fitting', but they don't.

The gas cylinder fittings are universal across the industry.

The POL fitting is the standard fitting in many countries (including the UK)

On 14/02/2023 at 08:48, rusty69 said:

I know eh. Who knew. 

Hey, I am not a moody yacht owner. How dare you. 

I am, what's wrong with Moody yachts 😲  Anyway we are all going electric cooking so canal boat owners can have some gas.  Don't you have a smoky coal fired stove on a canal boat to cook on 😉

Babblecombe Beach.jpg

Edited by Pete7
  • Happy 1

3 minutes ago, Pete7 said:

I am, what's wrong with Moody yachts 😲  Anyway we are all going electric cooking so canal boat owners can have some gas.  Don't you have a smoky coal fired stove on a canal boat to cook on 😉

Babblecombe Beach.jpg

Nothing. The old centre cockpit ones are great. 

• Happy 1

14 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Nothing. The old centre cockpit ones are great. 

Thanks.  Now back to the serious subject, these were cooked with sunshine 🤪   We have ditched the Calor bottles and switched to Camping Gaz though we will probably only use a kg or two each year.  

Pete

Duck.JPG

Lemon Drizzle.jpg

Edited by Pete7