Another body found in canal - Police appealing for help to identify.

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

Pictures of Watch and Keys Released as Officers Try to Identify Man's Body Found in Canal, Leeds | West Yorkshire Police

Monday, 16 January, 2023

A photograph of a set of three keys with a red square keyring with the word 'Terrano' in white font and 'American Blend', 'Filter' and some Spanish text in yellow. The keys are a silver Yale key, a small worn gold key with the number 92249 on it and another gold key

Detectives in Leeds have released images of a watch and keys found on a man whose body was recovered from the canal near to Bramley Fall Wood Park in Leeds yesterday (Sunday, 15 January).

Officers are continuing to try and identify the man who is described as an elderly white male with a bald head with white hair on both sides and stubble on the face. 

A photograph of an Eterna Matic 1000 watch. It has a black leather-style strap with a silver-coloured watch face and gold-coloured surround and gold-coloured hands and rectangles where the hours would be

He was found wearing a beige zipped up waist length jacket, beige

scarf, a blue jumper with a red and green diamond type design on, a brown belt, beige trousers, brown leather gloves, green socks and a green and brown checked shirt with a gold metal wristwatch. 

In his possession he had a single key and a 30-year-old A-Z map book.

Just now, booke23 said:

I keep the BW key separately on a float keyring so when I forget it at an Elsan/toilet block/electric swing bridge, I don't loose all my other keys!

Always wore mine on a string round my neck inside my shirt on a daily basis. Always had it with me and handy on occasion whilst not boating to gain access to toilets if near the cut. Still have one but of little/no use these days.

• Greenie 2

18 minutes ago, Goliath said:

I thought similar 

But no BW key. 

I would of thought if a boater they would be on some form of floating aid. 
  I also wouldn’t be wearing a dress watch, but something more rugged, so it can withstand knocks as I often do whilst on the boat or locks.

Edited by PD1964

Just reading the police appeal (and Alan's post properly!), and the guy was wearing Beige coat, Beige scarf and Beige trousers. I'm not sure that is a boater.....we all know those colours are a nightmare to keep clean when boating. 

Edited by booke23

34 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Always wore mine on a string round my neck inside my shirt on a daily basis. Always had it with me and handy on occasion whilst not boating to gain access to toilets if near the cut. Still have one but of little/no use these days.

I still have one you gave me at Thrupp after they electrified the bridge

• Happy 1

4 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I still have one you gave me at Thrupp after they electrified the bridge

That poxy bridge caused me much grief on its inception :( A perfectly good system that had worked for 200 years and they " Improve " it by adding electrification, a bloody weak point!! Its been done loads of places. My missus could do the bridge and others single handed. Of course, nail varnish must have been chipped off too many fingers so electrification ensued. It failed in the open position several times, once for an hour and a half when our caff was busy and no one could get in or out :banghead:

1 minute ago, Puffling said:

A boater would be unlikely to have a "30-year-old A-Z map book". An old Nicholson's guide, maybe.

Nicholsons are only good for up to a limited distance from waterways. Wandering further away, an A to Z would be required.

But either way very sad.

3 minutes ago, M_JG said:

Nicholsons are only good for up to a limited distance from waterways. Wandering further away, an A to Z would be required.

But either way very sad.

Perhaps owing to the deceased's age, he felt more comfortable with an A-Z. Everyone I know uses Google maps or Open Canal map for finding their way around towns and cities.

1 minute ago, Puffling said:

Perhaps owing to the deceased's age, he felt more comfortable with an A-Z. Everyone I know uses Google maps or Open Canal map for finding their way around towns and cities.

Yes, that is my thinking.

A lot of people have their phone in their hand. There may have been a phone with the person when they entered the water but it could have been detached from them during the immersion.  

One of the slightly dodgy things about modern smartphones is they take quite a lot of cognitive processing power so in some situations can raise the level of danger. Multitasking is a useful part of the skillset but not always present as a dominant feature. 

31 minutes ago, M_JG said:

Yes, that is my thinking.

Same with the watch, its just a standard type for an older generation. I would always use Nicholsons or a map over an electronic type device. Instantly available, no big deal if you drop it, water is no big deal and they never " Go flat " or lose signal.

• Greenie 1

25 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I would always use Nicholsons or a map over an electronic type device. Instantly available, no big deal if you drop it, water is no big deal and they never " Go flat " or lose signal.

Although, for balance, an electronic device is far less likely to recommend "a useful village shop" which actually closed down years ago.

31 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Although, for balance, an electronic device is far less likely to recommend "a useful village shop" which actually closed down years ago.

Although for balance, a paper map is unlikely to recommend a 2 mile long, single track lane, with a padlocked railway crossing half way down as a 'main route' for HGVs

Despite the sign at the top of the lane saying "suitable for bicycles only - dead end" it is commonly used.

We are at the 'bottom end' of the lane and the number of huge artic lorries that come down, sit half an hour waiting for the gates to open, there is nowhere for them to turn so they have to reverse a mile back up a road which in places is narrower than their 'track'.

• Horror 1

I know it is a bit distasteful but I always think it would be worth it if the police announced whether the trouser fly was opened or closed. 

I would not seek to judge anybody who uses alcohol as self medication (!) but it seems it might speed up the process of identification in this sort of case. 

What I mean is that people who get hammered enough to have stability issues while doing it are probably known to others. Not always the case but I don't think non alcoholics would very often fall in the water while having a pee.