Plenty of water in the Ouse, ( York) today

davidb

Featured Posts

We are taking the desicion that if the water isn't below the banks by next Friday then we will cancel our planned long weekend at the Rowntree Park site a few minutes down river from there. We will go elsewhere instead.

It's been over the wall for a couple of weeks now. So not holding out much hope!

2 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Where is it oozing out from?

The Yorkshire Dales....

2 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

We are taking the desicion that if the water isn't below the banks by next Friday then we will cancel our planned long weekend at the Rowntree Park site a few minutes down river from there. We will go elsewhere instead.

It's been over the wall for a couple of weeks now. So not holding out much hope!

Is it currently shut? I cant remember how high it has to be to flood the site.

3 hours ago, pete.i said:

When we lived just down the road from York last year (Selby) I saw the level over the top of that no entry sign on a number of occasions over the years (30) we were there. we monitored it using this webcam.......https://www.farsondigitalwatercams.com/locations/york

It has never gone above the top of the  No Entry sign since I have been monitoring it in the last 10 years. It's been level with the top of the white bar twice, 2012 and 2015 when it was 5.2m above normal Summer levels.

The only higher level in recent history was 2000 which was 5.4m

Anorak post.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, M_JG said:

The Yorkshire Dales....

Is it currently shut? I cant remember how high it has to be to flood the site.

Yes. It's shut at the moment. Recorded message on the answer phone.

12 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Not just York. This photo from the Guardian shows Tewksbury today.

3000.jpg?width=465&quality=45&dpr=2&s=no

Hoping that dries out before Easter. We are supposed to be at the Tewksbury Abbey site for 3 nights then. Its underwater in that picture 🙈

5 hours ago, matty40s said:

It has never gone above the top of the  No Entry sign since I have been monitoring it in the last 10 years. It's been level with the top of the white bar twice, 2012 and 2015 when it was 5.2m above normal Summer levels.

The only higher level in recent history was 2000 which was 5.4m

Anorak post.

It has at least twice in the 30 years we lived there so you are wrong again but I'm not arguing with you. Anyone who lowers themselves to insults, and there are a few on this forum.Just isn't worth my time.

• Greenie 1

29 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

Scenes at Dundas this morning - all three arches in use, plus the viaduct which is normally dry save for the centre arch. No rugby at Monkton School either...

20230114_101509.jpg

20230114_101505.jpg

20230114_115031.jpg

20230114_115408.jpg

20230114_115343.jpg

There is wheelchair rugby - perhaps they should invent canoe rugby?

4 hours ago, pete.i said:

It has at least twice in the 30 years we lived there so you are wrong again but I'm not arguing with you. Anyone who lowers themselves to insults, and there are a few on this forum.Just isn't worth my time.

I havnt insulted you, and have only records from my 10 years of watching the Farsons cams, I can find the previous 2 pictures of the maximums if you wish. More than 10 years ago, the sign may have been on a slightly shorter pole or in a slightly different place.

As I stated, 2000 was the record high, 2015 the 2nd.

Unless your 30 years covers 1625

Edited by matty40s

4 hours ago, pete.i said:

Suggesting your recollection may be mistaken is not exactly an insult now is it?

Perhaps one of the problems on this forum is members suggesting they have been insulted, when actually they haven't been?

10 hours ago, matty40s said:

I havnt insulted you, and have only records from my 10 years of watching the Farsons cams, I can find the previous 2 pictures of the maximums if you wish. More than 10 years ago, the sign may have been on a slightly shorter pole or in a slightly different place.

As I stated, 2000 was the record high, 2015 the 2nd.

Unless your 30 years covers 1625

The current river level is 4.14m. 

The maximum recorded level of the nearest level gauge is 5.4m.

Which does seem to suggest that the sign does get covered.  Although I  can't remember having seen that either.

I'd suggest (topic title) that not enough of that water is actually IN the Ouse!!

Visited last weekend aiming to park/visit the park itself. Advanced warning that the carpark was actually locked off. Problem is not just the parks but the sole acces road which is maybe a bit more vulnerable.

3 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Will they wash it all back into the river to make it even worse next flood?

Yes. York City Council come along with a truck with a pump on the back and they use river water to sluice it all down. The silt will get carried along by the current and end up in the Humber and the North Sea. I did once read a statistic about how many tons of silt are carried along in the Humber but I've no idea now of the figure.

14 minutes ago, Alway Swilby said:

Yes. York City Council come along with a truck with a pump on the back and they use river water to sluice it all down. The silt will get carried along by the current and end up in the Humber and the North Sea. I did once read a statistic about how many tons of silt are carried along in the Humber but I've no idea now of the figure.

There was a fire appliance parked up on the quayside earlier this morning. I assumed that was pumping water and rinsing the footpaths and roads off.

1 minute ago, Naughty Cal said:

There was a fire appliance parked up on the quayside earlier this morning. I assumed that was pumping water and rinsing the footpaths and roads off.

Maybe the Fire & Rescue people get involved too if they've nothing better to do.