Info on my local narrowboat builder

philip levy

Featured Posts

5 minutes ago, Goliath said:

I guess I don’t then

and from what you say navigation lights make even less sense for a canal boat. 
Seems only the tunnel/head lamp is needed. 

On the following rivers full Colregs navigation lights are required :

(5) On the Trent Navigation, the Weaver Navigation, the Aire and Calder Navigation, the New Junction Canal and the Sheffield and South Yorkshire Navigation (below Doncaster) a power-driven vessel shall in addition to the lights prescribed in paragraphs (1), (2), (3) and (4) as the case may be of this Bye-law display:-

(a) On the starboard side a visible green light so constructed as to show an unbroken light over an arc of the horizon of ten points of the compass (112½°) so fixed as to show the light from right ahead to two points (22½°) abaft the beam on the starboard side.

(b) On the port side a visible red light so constructed as to show an unbroken light over an arc of the horizon of ten points of the compass (112½°) so fixed as to show the light from right ahead to two points (22½°) abaft the beam on the port side.

On the canals only boats over 7' 6" beam are required to have Colreg compliant nav lights.

There are a list of lights that are required by boats, on the canals, under 7'6" beam

Red and green light shining forwards =  people can see boat coming towards them. Handy in the dark. 

Tunnel light shining forwards = a bright light but it could be a vehicle or bike on towpath. 

You can't rely on people not to have "night sun" type tunnel lights. 

Temporary blindness is not useful when navigating past another boat in a narrow channel in the dark. 

Edited by magnetman
  • Greenie 2

38 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Temporary blindness is not useful when navigating past another boat in a narrow channel in the dark. 

Before I had the boat painted it was not unknown for me to utter the words "sorry I hit you but I couldn't see you as some bastard was shining a bright light in my face"

• Haha 1

On 28/12/2022 at 10:09, philip levy said:

OK so its taken some time but we are now exploring the idea of a new narrowboat to enjoy our retirement. I live in Burton on Trent so looking for local if possible. We really dont want an old one so looking for new only. There is a local company, Russell Narrowboats, and they have a professional looking website and some superb looking new build narrowboats for sale but other than their website we cant find much info about this compay.

As we will be investing a lot of our retirement savings I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this company?

Thanks in Advance, Philip & Sarah

RUSSELL NARROWBOATS LTD filing history - Find and update company information - GOV.UK (company-information.service.gov.uk)

On 28/12/2022 at 10:46, philip levy said:

Thanks for your reply an interesting. I think they have been around longer than that as I used to work in Wetmore Road for the brewery and saw the there several years ago. ...

Note that although "Russell Narrowboats Limited" was only incorporated in April 2022, there was a similarly named company "Russell Narrowboats Ltd" that was dissolved in December 2021 but itself had only been incorporated in July 2020. Director of the same name and similar / same date of birth.

Could be an entirely innocent explanation. But could be that they find it difficult to make money and the new company may not last that long either. I would be wary about handing over significant amounts of money.

(Edit: As David Mack pointed out earlier. Should have read the whole thread first. Oops.)

Edited by Cheese
  • Greenie 1

22 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Buy a very very long barge pole before you hand over any money I think.

I wouldn't touch them with 'yours' (if you had one) let alone mine !

25 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Could be an entirely innocent explanation

It was a 'forced' closure demanded by Companies House  (normally because they have not complied with company law) so a bit more serious than a 'voluntary closure'.

Phoenix companies are regulars on the waterways.

49 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I wouldn't touch them with 'yours' (if you had one) let alone mine !

It was a 'forced' closure demanded by Companies House  (normally because they have not complied with company law) so a bit more serious than a 'voluntary closure'.

Phoenix companies are regulars on the waterways.

I wouldn't mind betting the removal from the register was for failing to file the mandatory financial statements on time, or at all. 

Builders of the house type are notorious for not being 'paperwork men', preferring getting on with the building work top keep the money coming in to sitting at a desk filing information on forms to comply with guvvermint deadlines. 

So both closures "could" be entirely innocent (as in no nefarious goings-on) but equally they could indicate some substantial dishonesty, or anything in between. But even if entirely innocent, I wouldn't want my boat built by a builder with this attitude to company law as the same attitude to probably overflows into building the boat. 

8 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Are you suggesting they would have no intention of meeting RCR compliance !!

That seems to be a bit harsh to me. It indicates a deliberate decision. Far more likely would be they do not have the knowledge or resources to properly comply with the RCR.

13 minutes ago, David Mack said:

I wonder which three points of the RCD/R they comply with:

1469587757_Screenshot_20230101-161511_SamsungInternet.jpg.b614488198220a9f02a1bc3b559819ce.jpg

Curious really when you read that again. 

1) The Recreational Craft Directive became obsolete in 2017, replaced by the Recreational Craft Regulations.

2) There are, or where more than three points requiring checking under the RCD when it was in force

3) A Boat Safety Certificate is not required on a new boat. Only once it reaches four years old

4) Given the above the last thing it appears 'you can be sure of' is 'the very highest of standards' from this builder

Edited by MtB
Missing word!

17 minutes ago, David Mack said:

1469587757_Screenshot_20230101-161511_SamsungInternet.jpg.b614488198220a9f02a1bc3b559819ce.jpg

Which I referred to earlier **- are there really only three points that are inspected in the *RCD (RCR) ?

What does 'inspected 'with the RCD' mean - do the RCD people come and inspect the boat ?, or do they mean 'inspected to the RCD'. 

The RCD is not an end of production inspection (a bit late then when you realise that the wiring is the wrong size !) but is an ongoing 'build to standards'.

Edit : **Previously posted top of page 3.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

2 hours ago, David Mack said:

It could be three visits from their “authorised representative” which might be a reasonable basis.