picture of framing, not sure why i can't find the link from the 'sinking boat' thread

Wittenham

Featured Posts

6 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I will leave it to those who know more about such things to give advice, but compared with my Colecraft hull that framing looks very light to me and there seems to be no horizontal stringers on the hull side. 

No drainage holes in base cross bearers by the looks of it. 

4 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

It  looks that way but look a the left of bottom frame in the lower photo. It looks to me as if there is light showing through a gap between frame and "chine" plate.

Na the welder missed that bit. 😁

if I had to guess... there are drainage holes.  That is because when I bought it, it had a lot of water in it and was floating on an angle.  I pumped all the water out of it through a single access hole cut in the floor and it all came out [as far as i can tell, no water showed up in other parts of the boat during other works].

9 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

I will leave it to those who know more about such things to give advice, but compared with my Colecraft hull that framing looks very light to me and there seems to be no horizontal stringers on the hull side. 

I agree. So the rubbing strakes are sort of acting as horizontal frames…

Although if you removed them it’s probably only going to mean the shell flexes a bit more especially if say it was lifted.  You might find that it moves the fit out a bit as well when they are cut off if there is any built up stress in the plating. 

15 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

and there seems to be no horizontal stringers on the hull side. 

The framing layout is the same as the knees fitted to working boats - they didn't have horizontal stringers. The side plating is stiffened by the bends at top and bottom guard level.

7 hours ago, frangar said:

I agree. So the rubbing strakes are sort of acting as horizontal frames…

Although if you removed them it’s probably only going to mean the shell flexes a bit more especially if say it was lifted.  You might find that it moves the fit out a bit as well when they are cut off if there is any built up stress in the plating. 

Lots of new boats dont have any apart from a bit at the bows

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Won't those 'diaganals' be a trip hazard, or will they be in the cellar and the floor at Gunwale height ?

I assume that's a joke, since they're obviously only there temporarily to keep everything square during the hull build... 😉

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Won't those 'diaganals' be a trip hazard, or will they be in the cellar and the floor at Gunwale height ?

They will be below the floor when its installed at gunwale height to get to the butty next door. (sorry wrong thread)

• Greenie 1

I used horizontal stringers for greater stability.  Also I made sure the sides were 90 degrees to the floor.  It may have meant losing a bit of space, but it made the fitting of furniture flush to the walls, e.g. kitchen cabinets, much simpler. 

IMG_8313.jpg

50 minutes ago, koukouvagia said:

I used horizontal stringers for greater stability.  Also I made sure the sides were 90 degrees to the floor.  It may have meant losing a bit of space, but it made the fitting of furniture flush to the walls, e.g. kitchen cabinets, much simpler. 

IMG_8313.jpg

Nice job.👍