Crazy boaters

dor

Featured Posts

People tried to stop them but some fools cannot be helped. In the harbour it would have been OK but as soon as they went out, they must have been horrified at the sea state.

They must have known of the see state before they left their mooring ?

Last night the enviroment agency were giving out flood warnings for the Yorkshire coast !

I wonder what was so important that they dared risk it/was it even their boat ?

Whatever the cause its still a sad loss of life .

Always nice to see my home town mentioned in the news. Such shame about the circumstances and my sympathies are with the families.

I'm surprised they even managed to actually get out of the harbour mouth as the swell there, between the pier heads, has to be seen to be believed when the wind is high. I've even seen the lifeboat have to "have a run" at it before getting out.

I shudder when I read stories like this, and try to not agree with the people who use the incident to immediately scream for more control over all sorts of boating - boathandling licence requirements, for instance.

The difficulty is that boating is essentially one of the few activities where you can jump aboard your X tonnes of steel, plastic, wooden boat, fire it up and go without any form of qualification. Sensible people, particularly people without some experience or prior knowhow, might take one of the countless opportunities to do (and pay for) some sort of training - this skipper obviously hadn't done that - or at least didn't have any trained or native appreciation of sea state, related to his small craft.

But despite it all, it is still a rare form of freedom which we have . . . and the brave people who man lifeboats, and other rescue services, paid or volunteer, are also free to do or not do what they do.

The most annoying part is other people then having to risk their lives to try and save these fools

I say let em go and we'll pick em up off the beach in a few days. Not worth risking a life boat and crew over or a helichopter and crew for that matter

My thoughts exactly - serves them right for being so bl**dy idiotic.

Chris

Some of the replies on here are really 'repulsive' I just couldn't find a word to describe some of you assholes that would be bad enough!!!

For Gods sake 3 people died here, do you people have no morals. Whatever the circumstsnces have some respect.

Or do you have your heads so far up your backsides you don't care!!!!!!

Stuart M

Some of the replies on here are really 'repulsive' I just couldn't find a word to describe some of you assholes that would be bad enough!!!

For Gods sake 3 people died here, do you people have no morals. Whatever the circumstsnces have some respect.

Or do you have your heads so far up your backsides you don't care!!!!!!

Stuart M

Three people died because they were very, very stupid. Whilst I may have some sympathy for their friends and relatives, and a lot of respect for the volunteers who rescued/recovered them, I have neither for anyone idiotic enough to leave a safe harbour during a force 8 gale (complete with 30 foot waves) in an ill-equipped vessel. I'll admit they've done the human race a small service in removing themselves from the gene pool, but that's as far as I'm prepared to go.

Edited to add

For some reason, this seemed very appropriate:

mistakes.jpg

Edited by Teadaemon

Maybe bad judgement is part of natural selection.

Perhaps.

Bad judgement usually precedes 'errors' (Good Judgement does not get the same level of publicity.)

For most events, such 'errors' form a valuable part of the 'learning experience' contributing beneficially to natural 'survival' rather than selection.

Tragic judgements like this one, may result in natural selection, but it also makes us more aware of our 'vulnerabilities' and therefore contribute somewhat to our 'survivability'

I am sympathetic to those that lost their lives, and their families.

However, labeling them as "idiots" or other names as done earlier in this thread does little harm and helps to "hammer home" a message to those that will not listen!

Some of the replies on here are really 'repulsive' I just couldn't find a word to describe some of you assholes that would be bad enough!!!For Gods sake 3 people died here, do you people have no morals. Whatever the circumstsnces have some respect.Or do you have your heads so far up your backsides you don't care!!!!!!Stuart M
Welcome to the forum and thanks for your thoughts While the familes certainly have my sympathy those who perished certainly do not. They set out with total disreguard for the conditions outside and the limitations of their vessel and with no respect whatsoever for those other souls who were duty bound to follow and attempt to rescue them. My morals have nothing whatsoever to do with people wishing to kill themselves but they do extend to them wishing to risk other peoples lives. If they had all been saved i wouldve wished them to have been prosecuted for at least endangering a lifeboat. As it happens the country has been saved an expensive trial. How would you feel if the lifeboat crew had also been lost while trying to rescue them? For the last 22 years ive been putting my life on the line for other people and had a few die on me. Thankfully ive only got a few physical scars and maybe one or two mental It aint funny, it aint sad.......its bloody bloody annoying Am now putting head firmly back up bottom
Yes it is very sad that 3 lives were lost but only one person was an idiot........ The other 2 probably trusted him or her and died because of that trust.
Who is the greater fool? The fool himself or those who follow him?

Welcome to the forum and thanks for your thoughts While the familes certainly have my sympathy those who perished certainly do not. They set out with total disreguard for the conditions outside and the limitations of their vessel and with no respect whatsoever for those other souls who were duty bound to follow and attempt to rescue them. My morals have nothing whatsoever to do with people wishing to kill themselves but they do extend to them wishing to risk other peoples lives. If they had all been saved i wouldve wished them to have been prosecuted for at least endangering a lifeboat. As it happens the country has been saved an expensive trial. How would you feel if the lifeboat crew had also been lost while trying to rescue them? For the last 22 years ive been putting my life on the line for other people and had a few die on me. Thankfully ive only got a few physical scars and maybe one or two mental It aint funny, it aint sad.......its bloody bloody annoying Am now putting head firmly back up bottom Who is the greater fool? The fool himself or those who follow him?

We are very quick to be judge and jury, the dead cannot reply to your comments, just hold back until we know the why’s and how’s of this tragic loss of life. Meanwhile I am sure all the above contributors will be sitting back feeling really smug with themselves as usual with their self righteous beliefs.

Signed an ex member of the Miss Marple fan club

We are very quick to be judge and jury, the dead cannot reply to your comments, just hold back until we know the why's and how's of this tragic loss of life. Meanwhile I am sure all the above contributors will be sitting back feeling really smug with themselves as usual with their self righteous beliefs.

Signed an ex member of the Miss Marple fan club

Such sensitivity for one who advocates shooting East Europeans.

Welcome to the forum and thanks for your thoughts While the familes certainly have my sympathy those who perished certainly do not. They set out with total disreguard for the conditions outside and the limitations of their vessel and with no respect whatsoever for those other souls who were duty bound to follow and attempt to rescue them. My morals have nothing whatsoever to do with people wishing to kill themselves but they do extend to them wishing to risk other peoples lives. If they had all been saved i wouldve wished them to have been prosecuted for at least endangering a lifeboat. As it happens the country has been saved an expensive trial. How would you feel if the lifeboat crew had also been lost while trying to rescue them? For the last 22 years ive been putting my life on the line for other people and had a few die on me. Thankfully ive only got a few physical scars and maybe one or two mental It aint funny, it aint sad.......its bloody bloody annoying Am now putting head firmly back up bottom Who is the greater fool? The fool himself or those who follow him?

oh give it a rest poirot

your medal is in the post

oh give it a rest poirotyour medal is in the post
LOL :rolleyes: never been called that before....much My medal aint in the post......the buggers have forgot........did get one for Her Majesty's 50th though.....not worth half as much as the friends ive made over those years which is far more valuable B)
We are very quick to be judge and jury, the dead cannot reply to your comments, just hold back until we know the why’s and how’s of this tragic loss of life. Meanwhile I am sure all the above contributors will be sitting back feeling really smug with themselves as usual with their self righteous beliefs.Signed an ex member of the Miss Marple fan club
True, we dont know the full facts, only the fact of 20-30 ft waves. gale storm force 8. and a small cruiser with 3 souls aboard.....I know its easy to comment after the fact but surely even persons of limited intelligence would know and see the dangers

Yes it is very sad that 3 lives were lost but only one person was an idiot........ The other 2 probably trusted him or her and died because of that trust.

This is what struck me too. When this sort of thing happens I have visions of some pillock saying "It's all riiight, whats the matter wiv you." whilst enjoying frightening people. I don't KNOW if that was the case or not of course, but then none of the other posters KNOW, we are all just making assumptions.

• 5 months later...