Living Aboard - Mooring and a Land Hobby?

Halkyon

Featured Posts

Hi,

Apologies for making my first post such a typically big and broad question, but here I am, still typing. 🙄

After renting for a while, saving up, viewing houses, contemplating life and such - I find myself totally uninterested in taking on a mortgage for bricks & mortar and have been looking into living aboard a boat, perhaps a relatively luxurious widebeam. I imagine I have come across the usual YouTube videos and have ordered Tony Jones' book 'The Liveaboard Guide' and so far I think the lifestyle could suit us (my fiancé would come aboard), and work-wise I just need an internet connection + laptop.

One aspect that appears to be a sticking point or difficulty is the availability of long-term mooring, which is something we might find necessary with aging family in the south-west of England (Kennet & Avon would be convenient). I also have a land-based hobby - a classic car or two - that I would like to keep in touch with to some degree. I could likely store one with family or friends in the same area but I'd shuffling one with the boat. Do any marinas and/or mooring spots offer parking, covered parking, or even garages?

Working on old cars has led me to develop skills that might be useful aboard - confidence in rebuilding and repairing engines both old and new, electronics, MIG welding, rust treatment, and so on. But would it be at all reasonable to try to keep running fun old cars at the same time as a boat? They're nothing too fancy and could be left outdoors all seasons, I'd just need a bit of space to jack them up and fix things occasionally!

Thanks!

Edited by Halkyon

I would be looking for a garage with living accomodation attached.

I steered clear of "classic" cars until I got a house with a  garage.

Half the garage is parking the other half is one of my two workshops, I did have to move from the  SE to Devon to get what I needed ;)

Edited by Loddon
my spelling and gramer are rubbish
  • Greenie 2

4 minutes ago, Loddon said:

I would be looking for a garage with living accomodation attached.

I steered clear of "classic" cars until I got a house with a  garage.

Half the garage is parking the other one if my two workshops I did have to move out of the SE to get what I needed ;)

Indeed! I've looked around for something like a mews house, but that would seem to necessitate moving quite far north and driving for hours to see anyone I know now. 🤔

Edited by Halkyon

2 minutes ago, Halkyon said:

Indeed! I've looked around for something like a mews house, but that would seem to necessitate moving quite far north and driving for hours to see anyone I know now. 🤔

We moved to Devon from the SE, people now come to visit us ;)

4-5hrs to areas where we used to live.

• Greenie 2

The Gloucester & Sharpness canal / Saul Marina may be worth considering. Suitable for widebeams and the M5 is only 5 minutes away, making it easily accessible to those coming to/from the South West. 

Many marinas provide parking and some will also allow more than one car though good luck finding one with a garage. Another option may be to rent a garage/unit nearby or I guess you could keep it in a marina but keep it covered if you wish to protect it from the elements. 

If aiming for a wide beam, I'd also recommend considering a 60-70ft narrowboat to see it would meet your needs though may require some compromise. They do offer much more flexibility in terms of where they can go and it will cost significantly less to run, maintain & moor. - Not not to mention that they typically cost less to buy too.

• Greenie 1

Certainly marinas have parking, but I've never heard of a marina with a garage. Some have sheds you can rent for storage but that's it. There are a few marinas on the K&A that turn a blind eye to living aboard as long as you behave! 

You mention shuffling a classic car along with the boat.....I wouldn't be comfortable doing this with a classic car. You will be parking in quiet country lanes etc, and boaty facebook groups are full of posts of boaters cars getting broken into in certain areas. 

Could perhaps put the classic car on the boat like this one found on the internet:

spacer.png

No experience of this personally, don't know how practical it is. Guessing not very given it would compromise a lot of space and probably awkward to load/unload etc.

3 minutes ago, RichM said:

Could perhaps put the classic car on the boat like this one found on the internet:

spacer.png

No experience of this personally, don't know how practical it is. Guessing not very given it would compromise a lot of space and probably awkward to load/unload etc.

I hope the owner of that car approves of it being posted on this forum

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Halkyon said:

Do any marinas and/or mooring spots offer parking, covered parking, or even garages?

Broadly speaking, 'mooring spots' never come with parking. Marina moorings always come with a communal car park. Most marina car parks have what car dealers call a 'landmark', i.e. heap of a vehicle never used but taking up precious space all the same. You won't be thanked for parking a landmark in any marina you might take a mooring in, as there are never as many parking spaces as there are boats. 

What I suggest you really need is a large detached house with its own detached large double garage. Then you can reserve the garage for your hobby (essential to prevent the classic deteriorating as they do out in the open), and rent out the house itself (but not the garage) to pay for it all. 

Edited by MtB

I had a 1970 VW camper that I had owned for over 20 years. When we moved onto the boat I decided that it had to go as I would no longer have the time and facilities to look after it. I still regret this but it was absolutely the right decision, looking after a boat made from proper thick steel is much more satisfying.

Getting rid of the VW was much harder than getting rid of house, job and children.  😀

I'm in this situation, 2 classics, a few classic mopeds and an improbable number of bicycles. I currently rent a lock up and the rest lives on the boat, with family or us used. The dream is to buy a bit of land to moor on and build a big shed* but for now it's all a tad chaotic. No regrets and all doable though, just less conventional than "house with garage"

*i'm aware of the numerous challenges with this...

On 16/11/2022 at 19:41, MtB said:

What I suggest you really need is a large detached house with its own detached large double garage. Then you can reserve the garage for your hobby (essential to prevent the classic deteriorating as they do out in the open), and rent out the house itself (but not the garage) to pay for it all. 

I just need to win the lottery or emigrate then!

22 hours ago, harrybsmith said:

I'm in this situation, 2 classics, a few classic mopeds and an improbable number of bicycles. I currently rent a lock up and the rest lives on the boat, with family or us used. The dream is to buy a bit of land to moor on and build a big shed* but for now it's all a tad chaotic. No regrets and all doable though, just less conventional than "house with garage"

*i'm aware of the numerous challenges with this...

The best thing would perhaps be for a few people to gang together to get something like this - there are a few communal/community workshops around already. We'd just also repair bilge pumps too!

Edited by Halkyon

13 hours ago, Halkyon said:

I just need to win the lottery or emigrate then!

The best thing would perhaps be for a few people to gang together to get something like this - there are a few communal/community workshops around already. We'd just also repair bilge pumps too!

Have seen this when buying a classic motorbike.

A group of vintage bike enthusiasts rented a unit in a disused mill and it was huge.They equipped it with stands and special tools.Had toilet, kitchen and even bunks for members of the group from some distance away to sleep over when doing something major.

I have two British classics but I am planning on selling them to part finance a boat in a few years from now. Like you I have learned a good deal about engines, mechanics, paint, rust, tig/mig welding, salvaging stuff and buying parts that are hard to get...going to car shows..meeting amazing people. Wouldn't have missed it for the world. All of that I'm sure gives me a good grounding when considering boats but It also leads me to believe I won't have time for cars and boats. In any case my cars are with me in Sweden. (TBH I would so much rather be driving my cars around in England. Sweden is great if you like pine forest, lots of it, hour after endless hour of it. To be fair beautiful big lakes break it up a bit. And then you get out your car and would love to natter to people but they prefer not to talk to strangers frankly). Here in Sweden you have to shut everything away for 6 months of the year on account of the climate. I will be happy enough to sell my cars and close that chapter of my life. Its the stuff and experience I've had that I prize most. I crave England. I'm happy anywhere in England. It's all home to me. I love my cars because they are a piece of England. A boat will suit me very well on a canal in England. Like you I can make a bit of income from home... I should be doing that now instead of typing this message. Nice to know there are classic car people in the boat world too. Maybe everyone will disagree but I feel it has to be one or the other. Interesting topic of discussion though....

Actually LIVING on a boat and having a hobby like vintage cars/bikes I think are not easily compatable.Joining a group with suitable premises is doable with difficulty.

It is fine if you have a house,then you can enjoy boating and your other hobbies.

• Greenie 1