Removing instant gas water heater

frahkn

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, MtB said:

Yes, weird. Back in the day when I first started living and working on boats, the Paloma was the only water heater and we ALWAYS fitted them with the specific "flue-mushroom" I mentioned. Nowadays no-one seems to know what I'm going on about! I suspect they were cast by Lawrence Hogg's firm at Highline, or possibly by Davy brassware but I can't remember

I still have one above my hob. Bought and fitted it ready for the Paloma I never actually fitted cos I changed my mind and fitted a calorifier instead.

Jolly useful too as I then fitted a computer fan in it and it works brill as an extractor..

• 7 months later...

The heater is now out and I want to get rid of it.

It is probably 20 years old (it was on the boat when I bought it 10 years ago) but it worked perfectly when I had my BSS in April.

Thought I had unloaded it on Paloma Bob but this fell through as he is unable to collect and I won't ship.

If anyone wants it just let me know.

The boat is currently on the Shroppy heading for Nantwich. 

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

Well its only a 7 hour drive

Yes, I completely understand, no criticism was intended by my remark. If Bob is not interested that is entirely up to him.

I'm just looking for someone else to take it off my hands.

I'll need to stop for diesel in a week or so; maybe someone at the marina will want it - the bloke who took it out wanted it but I said "no" not realising the up-coming problem with Bob.

On 09/11/2022 at 18:15, Paloma Bob said:

By any chance would you be selling the Rinnai water heater ?

Hey Paloma Bob. I know you have a trade going with these older open flue units. Ive got an 80s narrowboat that might well have been fitted with one, or a Morco or Paloma, but wasn’t. I could buy one, from you probably!  But do you know of anyone who can retro fit one?  
Thanks if you can help. Jak.  

12 minutes ago, Stroudwater1 said:

Why not ship it? It’s very simple, get some used cardboard from a shop, some tape, google the cheapest courier and off it goes. It’s really not difficult, nor expensive 

Strikes me as loaded with difficulties for a CCer. Especially with (probably) no car.

I wouldn't have been prepared to post something like a water heater either, when I was CCing.

I will get in my car and collect it from you if only I could find someone prepared to fit it. I know, you have seen my previous posts and are probably bored, but not given up just yet. Lol. 

48 minutes ago, MtB said:

Strikes me as loaded with difficulties for a CCer. Especially with (probably) no car.

I wouldn't have been prepared to post something like a water heater either, when I was CCing.

I wouldn’t post it using Royal Mail at a post office. There’s many small shops / fuel stations near canals that receive goods for shipping these days. I believe some CCers  have online businesses that rely on this method for “postage” 

I sent a heater like this using a courier only a few months ago, dropped it off at a local Co op. They are not very heavy, just bulky. 

It’s fixed and working fine now.  

Getting cardboard is simple too. Most shops are only too pleased to give you cardboard from old packaging. 
 Bit sad that it’s not going to someone who knows what he is doing with them IMHO 

I don't think I understood why the OP removed what sounded like a perfectly good water heater? It always pays to have as many different water heating systems on a boat as possible. I have engine, webasto & mains immersion to calorifier, plus instant gas water heater. On a boat you need flexibility and they all come in useful at different times & situations. Likewise cabin heating and electrical systems.

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 1

10 hours ago, blackrose said:

I don't think I understood why the OP removed what sounded like a perfectly good water heater? It always pays to have as many different water heating systems on a boat as possible. I have engine, webasto & mains immersion to calorifier, plus instant gas water heater. On a boat you need flexibility and they all come in useful at different times & situations. Likewise cabin heating and electrical systems.

We have never used the water heater in the 10 years that we have owned the boat so, for us, this is not correct.

Also the space would be useful (it was in a cupboard).

Jak,

It is free so there is only so much to loose, it could be that the guy who took it out for me would install it for you.

12 hours ago, Stroudwater1 said:

Why not ship it? It’s very simple, get some used cardboard from a shop, some tape, google the cheapest courier and off it goes. It’s really not difficult, nor expensive 

I'm not willing to put up with the hassle (for the record, Bob would have arranged and paid for the courier).

19 minutes ago, frahkn said:

I'm not willing to put up with the hassle (for the record, Bob would have arranged and paid for the courier).

Maybe Stroudwater1 might like to come and get it and post it as he says it's really not difficult, or expensive. :) 

2 hours ago, MtB said:

Maybe Stroudwater1 might like to come and get it and post it as he says it's really not difficult, or expensive. :) 

It cost me £13 by UPS at the start of the year to send to Paloma Bob. Took me 15 minutes to package it with Cardboard.

You can see Bob is offering a replacement Rinnai  heater for £15 carriage on ebay.

Bob has offered to cover the cost of carriage in any case so I’m not sure what you are getting at? 

If I lived closer I would take the trouble. I hope you would too. Will need to wait till around 2026 I guess to pick it up from the canal near me.

Carriage using couriers is not that costly if you look around.  

48 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Heres /Evri is under £6 for 3 day delivery (to the door) on a parcel up to 10kg

The question is, who's door? In my experience, its usually anyone but the rightful recipient.

Edited by rusty69

10 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

The question is, who's door? In my experience, its usually anyone but the rightful recipient.

Living miles from the nearest neighbour and out in the wilds we used to have a terrible time with couriers until about 3 years ago a new guy took over the local Hermes 'round' and ever since we have had not a single problem and we generally use Evri about 10 times per week for receipt and collection. I have never had a parcel lost, incorrectly delivered, or, delivered late by Hermes / Evri.

I fully endorse this company and have not been paid to do so.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Living miles from the nearest neighbour and out in the wilds we used to have a terrible time with couriers until about 3 years ago a new guy took over the local Hermes 'round' and ever since we have had not a single problem and we generally use Evri about 10 times per week for receipt and collection. I have never had a parcel lost, incorrectly delivered, or, delivered late by Hermes / Evri.

I fully endorse this company and have not been paid to do so.

Well, my experience of them, along with countless other people online who have left reviews is that they are a shower of shit.

I fully avoid this company whenever possible, and go out of my way to find a decent courier, regardless of whether it costs me a few quid more. I have not been paid to say this.

Just now, rusty69 said:

Well, my experience of them, along with countless other people online who have left reviews is that they are a shower of shit.

I fully avoid this company whenever possible, and go out of my way to find a decent courier, regardless of whether it costs me a few quid more. I have not been paid to say this.

I would have agreed with you 4 years ago - being as they are only paid 50p per parcel to deliver them they would save them up until they had enough to cover the cost of coming all the way out to us.

As I say - the new guy is great and even asks if we have any 'to go' to save us doing 6 miles to the drop off point. He will drop them into the shop on his way back.

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I would have agreed with you 4 years ago - being as they are only paid 50p per parcel to deliver them they would save them up until they had enough to cover the cost of coming all the way out to us.

As I say - the new guy is great and even asks if we have any 'to go' to save us doing 6 miles to the drop off point. He will drop them into the shop on his way back.

Courier your guy over to us would you please. Use any courier you like.

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

But you say you'd not receive him !

Evri box you take
And Evri drop you fake
Evri parcel you break
Evri step you take
I'll be watching you
Evri single day
And Evri word you say
Evri game you play
I'll be watching you

Oh, can't you see