Does it make sense to pull the boat out for a day to check two pack epoxy ?

Featured Posts

Our boat is about 7 years since the previous owner had the Hull 2 pack epoxy applied. ( He never skimped, so I believe it was done to a good standard ).

But I've hit the odd thing underwater, the rocks on the side of the Oxford canal weren't so great heading down to the Thames. So I'm thinking time to take a look.

Does this make sense ? Its just out of the water for 1 day ( need to book up much further in advance for the week long spots ).

If you use a power washer will it harm the coating ? ( Ok its my risk, but interested in opinions ).

What I'm looking to see is can I go on with a few years or some patching with 2 pack over any issues, or do I need to line up a more serious job ?

Interested to hear what your opinions are !

Tim ( Suikerbossie )

Has the boat not been out the water at all in this time? Docking is not just about the standard of the paint, it is to check the prop, shaft, rudder and bearings, anodes etc........ I'd have it out and check it all over. Even with epoxy I'd still look at docking every 3 years. May as well check the 2 pack whilst it's out!!

Kind regards

Dan

I took my epoxied boat out of the water after 7 years last summer. I'd painted it with 4 costs of Jotamastic 87 in 2015 and never looked at it since.

It was all good and I estimate I could have left it for another 3 years. However, the paint around the anodes had bubbled. The steel beneath was all fine because it's in close proximity to the anodes. 

I decided to take all the epoxy off and repaint it (which in retrospect was a mistake because the hydroblating and gritblasting equipment in the yard wasn't up to the job). I should have just left it for another few years.

Anyway, the blokes working in the yard told me they'd never seen a 17 year old hull in such good condition. It still looks brand new. 

So I'd take your boat out, pressure wash it and have a look. But if all that you see is a bit of paint coming off around the anodes and the rest of the epoxy is good, resist the temptation to take it all off. 

Edited by blackrose

7 hours ago, Tim Read said:

Our boat is about 7 years since the previous owner had the Hull 2 pack epoxy applied. ( He never skimped, so I believe it was done to a good standard ).

But I've hit the odd thing underwater, the rocks on the side of the Oxford canal weren't so great heading down to the Thames. So I'm thinking time to take a look.

Does this make sense ? Its just out of the water for 1 day ( need to book up much further in advance for the week long spots ).

If you use a power washer will it harm the coating ? ( Ok its my risk, but interested in opinions ).

What I'm looking to see is can I go on with a few years or some patching with 2 pack over any issues, or do I need to line up a more serious job ?

Interested to hear what your opinions are !

Tim ( Suikerbossie )

If you're anxious about it, the anxiety probably won't go away until you've satisfied yourself. Taking it out of the water would help you to know, one way or the other. It might be easier for you to find a day slot available to do an initial inspection. Depending on how that goes, you may wish to book a longer time in dock. I've recently booked a place to do the blacking on mine, it's next July. That was the earliest, at the yard I chose. You may find a more convenient timetable somewhere. 

Edited by Higgs

What's the point in taking it out for just a day? You have already acknowledged that the 2-pack will need some touching up, so you will need a week out of the water, whether it is for touching up or a complete repaint.

1 hour ago, blackrose said:

I decided to take all the epoxy off and repaint it

Why? Surely all you needed to do was abrade the existing epoxy to get a key, and give it another coat or two. Damaged areas would still have needed to full treatment.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, blackrose said:

I took my epoxied boat out of the water after 7 years last summer. I'd painted it with 4 costs of Jotamastic 87 in 2015 and never looked at it since.

It was all good and I estimate I could have left it for another 3 years. However, the paint around the anodes had bubbled. The steel beneath was all fine because it's in close proximity to the anodes. 

I decided to take all the epoxy off and repaint it (which in retrospect was a mistake because the hydroblating and gritblasting equipment in the yard wasn't up to the job). I should have just left it for another few years.

Anyway, the blokes working in the yard told me they'd never seen a 17 year old hull in such good condition. It still looks brand new. 

So I'd take your boat out, pressure wash it and have a look. But if all that you see is a bit of paint coming off around the anodes and the rest of the epoxy is good, resist the temptation to take it all off. 

Mine was probably twenty years from epoxied at new, I could see no epoxy, but also no corrosion.

I had it brushed with brass cup brush on a powerdrill and put on three coats jotamastic 90 plus four large anodes.

It had a new propshaft three years ago.

No signs of anything other than chalking.

If take it out I would want it out in summer for eight days as one day is no good if something is wrong.

I would probably coat with Hardtop 

SML paints will advise 

Edited by LadyG

9 hours ago, Tim Read said:

If a power washer can 'damage' two-pack then it needs to come off and be re-done as it not properly 'stuck'.

I have used a two-pack on my deck and I have trouble even getting a drill to bite - it just keeps 'skidding'. Two-pack is hard stuff whn applied properly.

• Greenie 1

I've used two pack from new on the hull sides and for the past 10 years on the baseplate, but I dry dock every two or three (maximum) years. More often than not  work is needed especially since the two pack formula changed to a safer but IMO less durable product.

I would take it out, we did ours 4 years ago and the stuff on the sides that is visible looks excellent but the bottom might not be so good as it was covered in mussels and no matter how much I scraped away at them it was a bit of an iffy surface, one of the anodes on the hollow rudder has vanished so I reckon there will be more issues as well and anyway we try to budget for every 3 - 4 years so next year it will come out. Epoxy is good but it can't do everything.