Avon Ring. A novices guide? Maybe?! Say hello!

MumHunOnTheCanal

Featured Posts

If it floods on the Avon (gauge in red), stop and moor - on a flood safe mooring (high riding posts) if at all possible, and sit it out.

On the Severn, they probably won't let you on the river if there is a significant risk of floods.

It is wise to have an alternative plan, but weather has been settled recently and I reckon you'll be fine.

Avon locks are not like Thames locks, you have to do the work yourself.  Just so you know.

66' is a big boat, there'll be many times when you'll need to keep a sharp lookout and be quick on the tiller on the Avon. Evesham lock (as mentioned by others), exiting Pilgrim and entering Nafford spring to mind. Conversely,  I've found the longer the boat, the easier it is to deal with the diamond lock at Wyre.   Lots of locks on the Avon ring, be sure to take turns at the tiller and lock-wheeling.

6 minutes ago, fatmanblue said:

If it floods on the Avon (gauge in red), stop and moor - on a flood safe mooring (high riding posts) if at all possible, and sit it out.

On the Severn, they probably won't let you on the river if there is a significant risk of floods.

It is wise to have an alternative plan, but weather has been settled recently and I reckon you'll be fine.

Avon locks are not like Thames locks, you have to do the work yourself.  Just so you know.

66' is a big boat, there'll be many times when you'll need to keep a sharp lookout and be quick on the tiller on the Avon. Evesham lock (as mentioned by others), exiting Pilgrim and entering Nafford spring to mind. Conversely,  I've found the longer the boat, the easier it is to deal with the diamond lock at Wyre.   Lots of locks on the Avon ring, be sure to take turns at the tiller and lock-wheeling.

Thank you :)  and although it is unlikely to happen, I feel better knowing what we should be doing now! 

When we did the Thames we had the benefit of light evenings and did most of our boating after the lock keepers had signed off. On the ones where the keepers asked us to stay on our boat I found it a little awkward - like we should have been doing the work? If that makes sense? I'm all for doing the locks - I actually quite like it. 

I;m not toooo bad on the tiller - I managed a "parallel" park last time without so much as bump, which gave me the world of confidence, but still a little nervous of corners and entering narrower waters - as I guess we should be! x

8 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Having spent many years at Alvechurch I would suggest stopping at Hopwood on the first night unless you get away early enough to make at least the Drawbridge.

Thank you Rob! We will do this! Brilliant advice thank you :) X

It’s one of the best rings to do. We did it clockwise too. The Avon locks are probably easier that way.
I’m not sure why people advise against mooring at Kings Norton, Hopwood is lovely but it depends when you get off from Alvechurch. It’s not far to Hopwood and you may like to get on a bit so you can explore Stratford or other places for longer.  
We moored just by Kings Norton junction and didn’t see a soul in August 2020. I’m not sure I would leave a boat there unattended for days but that’s not what you are doing. At this time of the year less folk congregate outside of an evening anyway. 

Bideford is another place  to moor on the Avon. 

The Avon is a fairly short river and you would be unlucky to find it flooding if you haven’t experienced much rain. If it’s raining heavily for a few days it’s  possible it will flood but follow advise from previous posters then. 
Some of the Avon lock gates can be quite hard and hefty but that’s all part of the fun. 

The Avon winds around a lot in some areas, part of it’s charm. 

Try to keep away from inside of bends on rivers which is usually shallower. If you ever do get grounded it’s usually easier to reverse off sometimes you would need to reverse for further than you may think necessary. Poling from the front or back generally fails as the boats swings like a see saw but you can get the rear further out by poling there and reversing. Most hire boats aren’t too deep in the water which makes getting grounded a little less of an issue anyway.

At 66 foot concentrate hard  on keeping clear of the cill when descending locks! 

Have a lovely time. 

1 hour ago, Stroudwater1 said:

It’s one of the best rings to do. We did it clockwise too. The Avon locks are probably easier that way.
I’m not sure why people advise against mooring at Kings Norton, Hopwood is lovely but it depends when you get off from Alvechurch. It’s not far to Hopwood and you may like to get on a bit so you can explore Stratford or other places for longer.  
We moored just by Kings Norton junction and didn’t see a soul in August 2020. I’m not sure I would leave a boat there unattended for days but that’s not what you are doing. At this time of the year less folk congregate outside of an evening anyway. 

Bideford is another place  to moor on the Avon. 

The Avon is a fairly short river and you would be unlucky to find it flooding if you haven’t experienced much rain. If it’s raining heavily for a few days it’s  possible it will flood but follow advise from previous posters then. 
Some of the Avon lock gates can be quite hard and hefty but that’s all part of the fun. 

The Avon winds around a lot in some areas, part of it’s charm. 

Try to keep away from inside of bends on rivers which is usually shallower. If you ever do get grounded it’s usually easier to reverse off sometimes you would need to reverse for further than you may think necessary. Poling from the front or back generally fails as the boats swings like a see saw but you can get the rear further out by poling there and reversing. Most hire boats aren’t too deep in the water which makes getting grounded a little less of an issue anyway.

At 66 foot concentrate hard  on keeping clear of the cill when descending locks! 

Have a lovely time. 

I would personally not choose to moor around Kings Norton, but then I am mr cautious, I have seen Alvechurch hire boats moor at all points around there, and I bet in the main they would have had not issues.  If you still have the daylight I would push on as far as you can on the first day.  On the North Stratford if you don’t get far down you can moor opposite the long term moorings at Lyons Boatyard, after they I would aim for Shirley Drawbridge, and then you can moor anywhere you want.

For the second night say Lowsonford  on the South Stratford, which lets you make it to Stratford for the 3rd night.  If there is no space in Bancroft Basin, go through the lock onto the river, and moor on the Recreation Ground on the opposite side to the theatre (further down past the chain ferry in quieter).  You will need to get a 1 week licence for the Avon which is plenty of time so it does not matter using a days licence, or even 2, while still in Stratford.

There’s no absolute reason not to stop at King’s Norton but despite passing that way many times I have never stopped overnight between Hopwood and Shirley.

There are a couple of boats with permanent towpath moorings at the cottages by the water point and hire boats routinely overnight between there and the junction and it’s also OK between the junction and the guillotine ‘lock’. Both sites have rings.

The place i would advise not to stop is immediately north of Wast Hill Tunnel but I have seen boats do that.

Don’t worry about Tardebigge locks. They are as quick and easy as any locks on the system, it’s just there are lots of them but it’s half a day’s work not a full day.

The Avon locks need care and do restrain the boat as requested. The southern Stratford locks can be hard due to the single leaf bottom gates, too many inoperable top paddles, and if Preston Bagot lock 37 top gate sticks half way put some weight on the end of the beam and persevere.

As for pubs you have foodie joints such as The Boot Inn at Lapworth and Queens Head at the bottom of Tardebigge. Good food but expensive by pub standards. The Fleur-de-Lys at Lowsonford is similar but feels a bit more like a proper pub. The Navigation at Lapworth covers both bases (technically it’s on the GU but it’s easily walkable from the moorings below lock 14 on the Stratford.

The Boat & Railway at Stoke Works, Eagle & Sun at Hanbury Junction and Bridge at Tibberton are all more basic.

You’ll easily find places in town at Stratford, Evesham and Worcester.

ETA - I’ve never fancied visiting the Drawbridge pub at Shirley. It’s looks gruesome and there’s one of those Flaming Grill places near home that I have been too which influences my decision.

And of course the Weighbridge at Alvechurch is great, particularly for a really good pint and a cob at lunchtime.

Edited by Captain Pegg

21 hours ago, MumHunOnTheCanal said:

Heya! 

We are a crew of 3 - me (32), partner (39) and the baby (4) 

We took the plunge and did a 7 night holiday earlier in the summer and loved it so much that we have just booked a last minute trip for 11 nights starting Monday! 

I am after some general advice and tips! After scrolling through several forums and facebook groups I see that us "holiday" boaters get a very bad rap, which makes me nervous about posting to be honest, but hey! Here I am, We don't claim to know it all, but it would be great to learn! I must admit that it was quite sobering how little "training" you are given before being handed a very big boat!! My partner has been boating before as a child, so felt a little more confident than I did - but still!!! We took too it quite quickly and were soon enjoying ourselves along the canal! 

I must say that one of the things that really struck me is how friendly other boaters were along the way - which is why I was so shocked to be reading such negative things online. It's a real shame, but also can understand that there probably are some imbeciles out there and it probably does get very frustrating. I must admit that I was shouted at quite aggressively along the K&A by a group of men for going too fast, a polite "oh hey hun, slow down a bit" would have been better! Knocked my confidence a little as was a genuine mistake - I just didn't think, but like I say - I dont claim to know it all and actually that was a learning experience, despite the aggression! 

Anyway, I digress. 

We are doing the Avon Ring clockwise out of Alvechurch. We live on the Isle of Wight so the area in itself is also totally unknown to us. It would be really great to get some tips for places to stop / places of interest and overnight mooring spots! 

Also grateful for any general boating advice. Anything you wish you had known when you first started? Or feel that us novices should know?

I think that this will be the start of a long boating life for our little family and would like to start as we mean to go on in a positive way! 

Lots of Love

MH x

Holiday boaters only get bad rap.from those with amnesia. That is those who have forgotten they were once newbies.

Oh, and the K&A is becoming more a linear housing estate than a canal to cruise.

Welcome to the forum and enjoy your boating.

Just be aware it can be a slippery slope. In 1973 I went on a canal holiday, which led to several years of hiring, twenty one years of shared ownership and nine years (to date) of sole ownership.

My name is Alan and I'm a canalcoholic... 🤣

Edited by cuthound
Clarification
  • Greenie 2

I'd just add you can sign up to ANT alerts (not the legged variety!).  If you pop your details in here they will email you on any closures and also give notice of interesting things occurring you might be able to see:

Notices - Avon Navigation Trust

they also text me so thats possible, but can't see it on that page.....

have a great trip - its stunning in the Autumn on the Avon........

DSC_0541_20151003_NIKON D3200_17.0-50.0 mm f-2.8.jpg

Edited by robtheplod

5 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

There’s no absolute reason not to stop at King’s Norton but despite passing that way many times I have never stopped overnight between Hopwood and Shirley.

There are a couple of boats with permanent towpath moorings at the cottages by the water point and hire boats routinely overnight between there and the junction and it’s also OK between the junction and the guillotine ‘lock’. Both sites have rings.

The place i would advise not to stop is immediately north of Wast Hill Tunnel but I have seen boats do that.

Don’t worry about Tardebigge locks. They are as quick and easy as any locks on the system, it’s just there are lots of them but it’s half a day’s work not a full day.

The Avon locks need care and do restrain the boat as requested. The southern Stratford locks can be hard due to the single leaf bottom gates, too many inoperable top paddles, and if Preston Bagot lock 37 top gate sticks half way put some weight on the end of the beam and persevere.

As for pubs you have foodie joints such as The Boot Inn at Lapworth and Queens Head at the bottom of Tardebigge. Good food but expensive by pub standards. The Fleur-de-Lys at Lowsonford is similar but feels a bit more like a proper pub. The Navigation at Lapworth covers both bases (technically it’s on the GU but it’s easily walkable from the moorings below lock 14 on the Stratford.

The Boat & Railway at Stoke Works, Eagle & Sun at Hanbury Junction and Bridge at Tibberton are all more basic.

You’ll easily find places in town at Stratford, Evesham and Worcester.

ETA - I’ve never fancied visiting the Drawbridge pub at Shirley. It’s looks gruesome and there’s one of those Flaming Grill places near home that I have been too which influences my decision.

And of course the Weighbridge at Alvechurch is great, particularly for a really good pint and a cob at lunchtime.

Scratch those comments about the Navigation at Lapworth, it’s closed.

I’d seen that the previous incumbent(s) were moving on and it was up for grabs but I hadn’t realised it had become vacant until I was stood outside yesterday lunchtime (thankfully not intending to visit).

I liked the Navigation because it fulfilled the role of being a local and a decent place for visitors to eat and drink. The Boot is ok though as the food and drink is good albeit it’s more restaurant than pub but with the saving grace that the women are less orange and the the men less squat than at The Queen’s Head (same chain).

Edited by Captain Pegg

Day One 

morning :) 

I thought you all might like a little update from us. 

unfortunately we were delayed on the way which meant we spent the night on the boat yard! So we’ve got a few hours to make up over the next few days! 

just having my morning caffeine before we have the official handover and paperwork signing this morning. Then we’re going nip into town for some supplies (my other half says the water doesn’t taste right in a cup of tea so we’re going to buy some bottled) and then we’ll be on the way! 

it’s a bit breezy out there today but at least it’s dry - which I know it won’t be tomorrow! 

Have a good day everyone! 

love MH x 

That gives you better options for your first night’s stop. You can moor pretty much anywhere from Shirley onwards and if you want can easily make Lapworth top lock and moor there. Or stop a little short at Hockley Heath where there’s a chippy, Co-op and a pub very close by. Oh, and a McLaren dealership if you fancy some new wheels.

It’s also possible to stop in the long pound that’s four locks down the Lapworth flight or after the 14th lock by The Boot pub but that may be a bit much for your first day.

ETA - also Wedges bakery by bridge 20 (IIRC) a mile or two short of Hockley Heath is a good place to call in to. Although you can’t see it from the canal it is very close.

Edited by Captain Pegg

2 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

Wedges bakery by bridge 20 (IIRC) a mile or two short of Hockley Heath is a good place to call in to. Although you can’t see it from the canal it is very close

They have a small bakery sign if I remember correctly on the bridge.

Yes there is a sign for Wedges on the bridge, there is piling past the bridge so easy to stop.

Also if you do make it to the top of Lapworth locks this evening, you can choose to just go down the first two, there is good piling to moor to just after the (ex) wood yard, or you can go down the top 4 and moor there.  After that you need to do the main group of locks down to just past the Boot pub.

8 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

That gives you better options for your first night’s stop. You can moor pretty much anywhere from Shirley onwards and if you want can easily make Lapworth top lock and moor there. Or stop a little short at Hockley Heath where there’s a chippy, Co-op and a pub very close by. Oh, and a McLaren dealership if you fancy some new wheels.

It’s also possible to stop in the long pound that’s four locks down the Lapworth flight or after the 14th lock by The Boot pub but that may be a bit much for your first day.

ETA - also Wedges bakery by bridge 20 (IIRC) a mile or two short of Hockley Heath is a good place to call in to. Although you can’t see it from the canal it is very close.

Thanks captain! saw the sign for the bakery but didn’t stop as we wanted to make tracks and get as far as possible tonight! 

We’re heading for hockley Heath as per your suggestion though! Early start tomorrow and tackle the lapworth flight in the blooming rain! 

thank you x 

2 hours ago, MumHunOnTheCanal said:

Thanks captain! saw the sign for the bakery but didn’t stop as we wanted to make tracks and get as far as possible tonight! 

We’re heading for hockley Heath as per your suggestion though! Early start tomorrow and tackle the lapworth flight in the blooming rain! 

thank you x 

Do try it next time - last time we came this way I dropped OH off whilst I proceeded to tie up. She was back almost as soon as I had completed that operation! If I had realised I would have just hovered . . .

37 minutes ago, MumHunOnTheCanal said:

Day Two 

We didn’t get off as early as we would have liked, but we didn’t stop all day  - taking it in turns on the tiller, hopping off to walk the dog and feeding the small child…. 

As we left Alvechurch they were busy lifting boats in and out of the boat yard which we found quite mesmerising. For something so big, they seem to do it quite elegantly and with ease. Although the crane was itself quite aggressive! 

So we started at Alvechurch and we’ve stopped near Hockney Heath. Meaning we’ve covered approx 15 miles. 

Wast Hill Tunnel. Wow. Our first tunnel! We hung back and let someone else go ahead of us as although the relevant literature said the tunnel is wide enough to pass oncoming boats, of which there was one, my other half wasn’t convinced. The crew on the boat which passed ahead of us were really reassuring and when we saw that they had passed the oncoming boat we headed in. It was quite something. I’m not sure what I was expecting, maybe the opportunity to do the washing up and make a brew, but instead I found myself studying the tunnel walls / roof with their glittering stalactites! It was actually quite beautiful in places, something I never thought I would say about a tunnel! The second tunnel was really underwhelming in comparison! 

My small human was fascinated by the guillotine lock! Totally cool. I was pretty taken aback by the abundance of quite neat and almost “good” graffiti. Although I was pleased to see the old paper mill and the lock itself remain untouched. It didn’t quite match up to that of Bristol but some quite neat pieces. We also saw some local youths loitering on an underpass next to a suspiciously clean and perhaps newly placed submerged trolley art installation. 

Shirley Drawbridge was entertaining. An over excitable lad in his car decided he would stop at the control signal then must’ve thought “ahh I’m going for it” only to have the barrier come crashing down on his bonnet. Although I know I wasn’t at fault, I still feel really guilty. I was half expecting him to get out and start shouting abuse at me, but I think he was embarrassed and realised his mistake. 

We had planned to stop at the draw bridge inn at Shirley, but the small child didn’t like the vibe, he said it looked scary and dark so we carried on.

The canal was quite narrow and twisty in places, not helped by the overhanging greenery,  and there were long swathes of parked boats at both Lyon’s and Warings Green which inevitably slowed us down, although we still got verbal from someone at Lyon’s… despite the fact we were only on tick over. 

We had also planned to stop at the bakery at bridge 20 - but as we passed it was just gone four and my guide book suggested it closed at half past, we decided between us that from past bakery experiences (we love baked goods) it would be unlikely to have much produce left at this time of the day . 

We have stopped off in Hockley Heath for the night, which seems like a lovely place. We had dinner in The Wharf Tavern which was actually really good - our local greeneking has left us disappointed more than once! We took a stroll over the road and peered in through the window at macalren and rolls Royce. My small human setting his heights on the latter. “I’m going to have one of those when I’m bigger”…. We also noted the little bakery there opens at 7am tomorrow, so I’m hoping to pop back up for some fresh pastries to accompany my morning caffeine instalment. 

Tomorrow we’re hoping to get down lapworth and then as far as clavedon bottom lock, which will take us to where we “should be” for our timings - although I’m not sure how realistic this will be, especially as the weather is looking awful! 

We will keep you posted!

Love MH x

So refreshing to hear someone so enthusiastic about their canal journey. Goid also to hear about a small human being indoctrinated so early on in life. Let's hope that day two is just as great. 

11 hours ago, MumHunOnTheCanal said:

We had dinner in The Wharf Tavern which was actually really good - our local greeneking has left us disappointed more than once!

I was going to post yesterday how I'd recommend stopping at Hockley Heath rather than Lapworth Top Lock.

We stopped there both to and from Birmingham in the summer and were pleasantly surprised.  The food was good, staff were friendly and we felt quite relaxed there.  Like you, our local Greene King pubs are not the best. 

3 hours ago, MumHunOnTheCanal said:

Sunday Morning Update! I’ll try to be brief 🤣

Good Morning! Well we’ve had a pretty full on few days and I am starting to feel it. But also feeling awesome and still loving every second! We’ve made it on to the Avon and along to Evesham which seems pretty lovely, although like all little towns, the Saturday night teenagers were a little loud and screechy last night! 

After we left hockley heath - which by the way taught me a valuable lesson…. Don’t stop under acorn laden oak trees in autumn!!!! I did not get a lot of sleep that night!… we headed for our first flight at lapworth in all that rain. It was awesome, even in torrential rain. I got to the point where I was so wet I didn’t care if I was standing in a puddle anymore. I switched through all my shoes and ended the day on the locks in my slippers! But it was soooo fun!!!!! 

We passed under the M40 bridge which was a weird contrast of lovely countryside and loud road, and stopped between two narrows further along, it was a very quiet night… with not TV or phone reception, but I didn’t mind that either.

The Edstone aqueduct is an engineering marvel isn’t it! It was a tad windy up there so we were pushed all the way to one side, but it was amazing all the same!! 

We arrived in the Basin at Stratford upon Avon on Friday morning, and stopped for lunch and supplies, with the intention of heading off just after lunch and getting stopped again before the rain, but we loved it there so much we didn’t leave and stayed overnight, putting us a little behind again but we’ll make it up I’m sure. Saturday morning the CRT lady came knocking and advised us that someone had left a gate open on the way down over night so nobody was going back up the canal for a while as the level had dropped. There was much suspicion on the basin and an air of a who dunnit mystery. I started to feel guilty and worried, had I maybe left a gate open? I didn’t think I did. But I was still feeling it. I was suspicious of myself. I then remembered we passed a boat going up / leaving as we entered the basin and actually, we had arrived in the basin before lunchtime and others had arrived after us. 

Yesterday we joined the Avon, wow. It’s stunning. The water is crystal clear and there are so many fish! I’ve read that there are otters, so I’m hopeful of spying some out! I spent a lot of the day on the tiller yesterday, which I find really quite therapeutic. I drank coffee, ate chocolate and enjoyed the scenery. Perfect. 

We’re hoping to make up some lost time today, but not stop too late either. The small human fancies a Sunday pub roast. So we’ll see how we go! 

Quick question. Is wild mooring a thing on the Avon? 

Have a lovely Sunday everyone MH x 

There is no mystery to empty pounds at Stratford, it's a regular occurrence and the CRT folks should know better than to blame boaters.

The pounds between the last few locks are short and shallow and don't hold a lot of water. The single leaf gates float open readily, particularly the bottom gates when there is a flow through the by-washes. If the top gate has any appreciable leakage the pounds are prone to draining overnight. I had to wait for 30 minutes for water to be run down from the pound above the Premier Inn lock when I visited 10 days ago and on my previous visit I ended up stranded in mid-channel trying to exit Stratford early in the morning. That time I was delayed for two hours.

There are numerous gates that don't like to stay shut on the southern Stratford even after they have been closed and re-closed and left apparently correctly closed, particularly on the bottom three at WIlmcote.

It's a very pleasant canal to visit but it isn't the best for boating.