Featured Posts

1 hour ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

I weren’t far off then 😃?

that’s obviously Gosty/Gorsty tunnel

Or Ghosty if its haunted!

3 minutes ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

George was the tunnel tug,

with a propeller at either end,

introduced in 1913 and used til the 1930’s. 
it was kept in that there shed on the left. 

is that George pulling the boats through ?

I can remember when the tunnel tug boathouse walls and roof beams were still there (although without the roof covering). When was it demolished?

That basin is/was between Smith’s Bridge Cradley and Wrights Bridge where, if I remember properly is where there’s been long term road works.

Have they finally sorted them?

I think the road dips below canal level there abouts and thought they had problems with flooding 🤷‍♀️

Edited by beerbeerbeerbeerbeer

On 20/12/2023 at 15:48, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

That basin is/was between Smith’s Bridge Cradley and Wrights Bridge where, if I remember properly is where there’s been long term road works.

Have they finally sorted them?

I think the road dips below canal level there abouts and thought they had problems with flooding 🤷‍♀️

It’s either work to the services in the road or the need to remove the bridge that spans the disused arm/wharf entrance by the look of things.

It was still closed at the end of November and didn’t look like reopening was imminent.

On 21/06/2022 at 14:55, Heartland said:

In response to GOLIATH

Any ideas as to this view. The clue being near single locks that replaced a James Brindley Triple Riser

Boat 1.jpg

As to the painted water cans, it is interesting to see no boat name on them and also ponder on how often a mop handle was painted

The source of the image is RCHS Collection

Is that a floating barber's shop?

7 minutes ago, Heartland said:

Another image this time from 1948 with two Fellows Morton & Clayton Boats, one in FMC livery (STAFFORD) and one in the new Livery (SHAD)

Also in the view is a railway viaduct and a road bridge.

783601.jpg

That's Runcorn.

I've seen that image published a few times over the years. Which photo collection does it come from?

12 minutes ago, Heartland said:

Another image this time from 1948 with two Fellows Morton & Clayton Boats, one in FMC livery (STAFFORD) and one in the new Livery (SHAD)

Also in the view is a railway viaduct and a road bridge.

783601.jpg

That right hand lock looks peculiar. The chamber wall seems to slope upward to a higher top gate which suggests it’s a staircase. However the left hand lock appears to be a conventional lock.

As they are broad locks I was thinking London, maybe the Regents canal.

Above Stanley dock, Liverpool is a possibility but not sure about FMC trade to Liverpool in the BW era.

Can I have three guesses? Runcorn?

I bet all three are wrong.

ETA - I took too long to write that and JB beat me to it!

Edited by Captain Pegg
  • Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Heartland said:

John Brightly gets a mince pie 

Collection Francis Frith

I'll hold you to that when I next see you Ray !. I think Jonathan deserves one as well though. Hope you both have a good Xmas. 

This must be one of the last uses of Runcorn locks. I am a bit curious as to why the boats are going that way - does anyone know? (My guess is that the Anderton Lift was closed)

54 minutes ago, Richard T said:

I know that one very well but @matty40s won't let on at this stage. And Happy Christmas to you and Kathy

I thought you might pop up, 🙂

Have a splendid Christmas whether you are out boating  or other...I think the Soar will rise again by tommorow.

Having seen the bridge and view today, yes, it has changed massively.!! 

11 hours ago, matty40s said:

I thought you might pop up, 🙂

Have a splendid Christmas whether you are out boating  or other...I think the Soar will rise again by tommorow.

Having seen the bridge and view today, yes, it has changed massively.!! 

Matty do you mind if I share the photo to a local FB page and to our local library who are currently putting together an exhibition based on the canal in the town? Do you have ant more photos ataken at the same time? I will of course credit you for the photo.

No we are not boating - we don't trust the Soar at the moment, any rain and it floods.

21 hours ago, Richard T said:

Matty do you mind if I share the photo to a local FB page and to our local library who are currently putting together an exhibition based on the canal in the town? Do you have ant more photos ataken at the same time? I will of course credit you for the photo.

No we are not boating - we don't trust the Soar at the moment, any rain and it floods.

You are welcome to Richard, I will see if I can scan a better copy. As a clue for others, the bridge overhead has been lowered since the photo and plans are in place to use it again in anger.

There are these 2 of another location in the same box, which I cant identify, and may only be river, not navigable canal.

20231223_170345.jpg

20231225_074452.jpg

2 hours ago, matty40s said:

You are welcome to Richard, I will see if I can scan a better copy. As a clue for others, the bridge overhead has been lowered since the photo and plans are in place to use it again in anger.

It is the GCR bridge at Loogabarooga then. The factory must have changed between the 1929(?) Aerofilms photo I found and the date of your photo.