Portable Power Station

Nightwatch

Featured Posts

4 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Its all in the name, Powerstation, its not a power station its a battery storing energy that you have put in it, Its like calling a bucket a water make

This is true Brian.

34 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

Actually, most (all?) power stations do not make energy, they simply convert it from one form to another.

This is also true, I cart the required sources on my boat all the time, diesel to feed my engine and convert it to electricity I require on board.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Mike Todd said:

Actually, most (all?) power stations do not make energy, they simply convert it from one form to another.

Agreed, but the ones under discussion here use electricity to make more expensive electricity, rather than a cheaper energy to make a more expensive one.

1 minute ago, Tony Brooks said:

Agreed, but the ones under discussion here use electricity to make more expensive electricity, rather than a cheaper energy to make a more expensive one.

That would depend on how the power station is topped up with energy. If it can be sustained with solar, then eventually, you will be quids in. 

1 hour ago, Higgs said:

That would depend on how the power station is topped up with energy. If it can be sustained with solar, then eventually, you will be quids in. 

1 hour ago, Higgs said:

you conflate physics and economics

2 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

you conflate physics and economics

The economics of spending a fortune to be 'power independent' do not necessarily amount to an economic sensibility. But that doesn't detract from the intention to be as green or power independent as possible; in addition to an amount of convenience in supplying power on the move, or to aid off grid living. 

1 minute ago, Stroudwater1 said:

Surely if you are needing to take it for a picnic then you have become completely power dependant? 

Maybe I am missing the point?

Every one has different power needs. The odd picnic, from a walking start to end needs nothing much. I don't think many go out without a phone and some food. 

2 hours ago, Higgs said:

The economics of spending a fortune to be 'power independent' do not necessarily amount to an economic sensibility. But that doesn't detract from the intention to be as green or power independent as possible; in addition to an amount of convenience in supplying power on the move, or to aid off grid living. 

You miss the point and continue the conflation:

even using solar is still only a conversion (regardless of whether it is cheap(er) or not, green(er) or not) - it takes in energy from the sun and converts it to electricity, and a little bit of heat.

You might care to study thermodynamics and understand entropy . . .

21 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

You miss the point and continue the conflation:

even using solar is still only a conversion (regardless of whether it is cheap(er) or not, green(er) or not) - it takes in energy from the sun and converts it to electricity, and a little bit of heat.

You might care to study thermodynamics and understand entropy . . .

I understand the principle of conversion. I own charge controllers, inverters, solar panels, and storage devices. By the use of solar, I can charge storage devices. These in turn can power or charge other devices. Believe it or not, and I must admit to forgetting a lot, I even have City and Guilds 2240 in electronic servicing. 

As long as I ask of a device only what a device can give, there is no problem. 

Edited by Higgs

41 minutes ago, Higgs said:

As long as I ask of a device only what a device can give, there is no problem. 

I think that is the bit that is bothering me. You, I and a number of others here do understand what a device is likely to "give" but I fear the marketing makes any limitations far from clear, especially if they have been giving out to a number of social media "influencers"  for free. I very much doubt an "influencer" is likely to point out any shortcomings or limitations because to do so may put their next freeby in jeopardy. It is a bit like the newbys who come on here asking about solar and electric boats & solar, who then go off in a huff when it is pointed out that what they hope for is not realistic.

• Greenie 1

Often see these devices in van life vlogs, particularly build-out ones. Typically, the manufacturer gives them to the vlogger for free.

Looking at it, it's cheaper per Wh, than our lithium setup (i.e., the Victron lithium + BMS etc.), which to be fair isn't the cheapest. Is the chemistry the same, or is it something else?

8 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I think that is the bit that is bothering me. You, I and a number of others here do understand what a device is likely to "give" but I fear the marketing makes any limitations far from clear, especially if they have been giving out to a number of social media "influencers"  for free. I very much doubt an "influencer" is likely to point out any shortcomings or limitations because to do so may put their next freeby in jeopardy. It is a bit like the newbys who come on here asking about solar and electric boats & solar, who then go off in a huff when it is pointed out that what they hope for is not realistic.

Yes, it's necessary to try and understand what is being bought, to power what devices. Off grid and green will more than likely need solar. Different for camping, caravanning and boating. 

1 hour ago, Thomas C King said:

Often see these devices in van life vlogs, particularly build-out ones. Typically, the manufacturer gives them to the vlogger for free.

Looking at it, it's cheaper per Wh, than our lithium setup (i.e., the Victron lithium + BMS etc.), which to be fair isn't the cheapest. Is the chemistry the same, or is it something else?

Jackerys use lithium ion batteries rather than the more expensive LiFePO4 chemistry in your Victron lithium. Your Victron battery will last much longer (4 or 5 times more cycles than lithium ion). When you factor the much longer lifespan of the LiFePO4 I suspect they would work out cheaper per Wh than the Jackery.

Edited by booke23

On 08/05/2022 at 11:17, MtB said:

One needs 230Vac and USB chargers for a picnic in the woods nowadays?

Really??!

And if so surely it would be better built into the hamper. One less thing to carry... 😅