Longer Boats Up Norf

dmr

Featured Posts

5 minutes ago, IanD said:

That's not what I meant, I meant line loops on the gunwale like the ones I've got. I'll see if I can find some pictures...

Aha, got one -- same kind of loop in the same place as on mine. Maybe that's where Tim got the idea from... 😉

traditional-narrowboat-england-uk-EY2C8X.jpg

Are you referring to the point below the writing ‘ship and boat’?

If so, ain’t that where a shackle would be to catch the butty?

3 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Only loops on the gunwale I've seen are towards the stern and used for breasting up with the butty, you can see the shackle in this picture of Scorpio.

Scorpio at Kidderminster

Right that makes sense,

So that ‘hook’ instead of a second dolly, would that be how you catch or snatch the butty?

31 minutes ago, IanD said:

That's not what I meant, I meant line loops on the gunwale like the ones I've got. I'll see if I can find some pictures...

Aha, got one -- same kind of loop in the same place as on mine. Maybe that's where Tim got the idea from... 😉

traditional-narrowboat-england-uk-EY2C8X.jpg

47 minutes ago, IanD said:

I did notice that quite a few trad boats (real ones, not replicas) have similar points for spring lines, often on the gunwale, so it can't be such a bad idea... 😉

Looks like the replica’s have got them too, as that’s a RW Davies Northwich replica you’ve posted. Not an original working boat but a fairly new one about 2012ish.
PS. They’re not real rivets also😄

Edited by PD1964

6 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Only loops on the gunwale I've seen are towards the stern and used for breasting up with the butty, you can see the shackle in this picture of Scorpio.

Scorpio at Kidderminster

They're the ones I meant. I've also seen them used to tie spring lines onto (at bows as well), can't find the photo though...

I really don't understand why there seems to be so much objection to a pretty simple idea. If you don't like it, don't have them on your boat 😉

1 minute ago, IanD said:

They're the ones I meant. I've also seen them used to tie spring lines onto (at bows as well), can't find the photo though...

I really don't understand why there seems to be so much objection to a pretty simple idea. If you don't like it, don't have them on your boat 😉

I think people like to prod you because you get so defensive in response.

14 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

But, on a narrowboat the argument is that you can run a spring-linr backwards from the T-Stud, or fowrads from the Dolly without it chafing on the cabin sides, the cry is always "you don't understand the shape of a NB doesn't allow for the use of springs". 

It does if the attachment points are set on the 'side' of the boat such as Haggis and others have done.

Simple Spring Lines.jpg

Yacht_Mooring_Lines.jpg

Arr well in that case, I just suffer a bit of chafing and run a long line forwards from the stern dolly.

If I weren’t lazy I would put a bit of cloth or something to stop the chaffing for I don’t think Vaseline would help with that sort of chaffing.

5 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

I think people like to prod you because you get so defensive in response.

I hadn’t noticed

😉

4 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Arr well in that case, I just suffer a bit of chafing and run a long line forwards from the stern dolly.

If I weren’t lazy I would put a bit of cloth or something to stop the chaffing for I don’t think Vaseline would help with that sort of chaffing.

I hadn’t noticed

😉

Funny, I keep on saying that different people want different things, but some people seem to think I'm insisting that my solution is the only one and they *must* adopt it -- when I've said exactly the opposite, many times... 😉

Maybe that's what I get annoyed about... 😞

20 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Are you referring to the point below the writing ‘ship and boat’?

If so, ain’t that where a shackle would be to catch the butty?

Right that makes sense,

So that ‘hook’ instead of a second dolly, would that be how you catch or snatch the butty?

When we breast up the butty we use two straps at the stern as per this photo

Leo breasted up

16 minutes ago, IanD said:

When just out on the motor I have used the shackle for a spring line.

3 minutes ago, IanD said:

Funny, I keep on saying that different people want different things, but some people seem to think I'm insisting that my solution is the only one and they *must* adopt it -- when I've said exactly the opposite, many times... 😉

That is only your interpretation.

People are only pointing out where they think you may have gone wrong with your decisions. Which is a perfectly normal discussion in a 'discussion' forum.

6 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

When we breast up the butty we use two straps at the stern as per this photo

Leo breasted up

When just out on the motor I have used the shackle for a spring line.

🙂

11 minutes ago, IanD said:

I was simply interested to find why/how people do  things differently. Haggis explained clearly how it’s either too difficult or unsafe to reach the T stud, and they prefer to have additional easy to get to studs and cleats. Simple but I’d not thought about it from that angle before.

And others find chafing unbearable. 

But I’m still a little confused with your requirement for extra fastenings.

But no matter. 

Extra fastenings can be useful when it is difficult to tie up using the front or back ropes due to how the bank edge is.  For example, when there are bollards and a hard bank.  We have one loop welded to the edge of the gunwale on each side of the boat, about 2/3 of the way to the back end, and find them useful while only being a very minor trip hazard. 

• Happy 1

5 minutes ago, IanD said:

And is a major trip hazard if you run along the gunwale... 😉

As we only use them for tying up and only between us and the bank what on earth would I or anybody else be running along the gunwale for?

EDIT to add I never run along gunwales it is far too risky.

Edited by Jerra

2 minutes ago, Jerra said:

As we only use them for tying up and only between us and the bank what on earth would I or anybody else be running along the gunwale for?

Ian is the font of all knowledge.

The unwritten rule is you must never question or query everything there is he knows about boating.

If you do he will beat you down into a virtual pulp untill the point comes that he cannot disagree, but when he does he wont acknowledge this but put you on ignore.

14 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Joke alert...;-)

7 hours ago, IanD said:

Aren't they called Anser pins? 

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, IanD said:

And is a major trip hazard if you run along the gunwale... 😉

But...one only has fenders down when moored, so no need to run the gunnel but run down the bank .. but be careful not to trip on your 4 lines or 8 lines and how many pins ? 16? 

😉

Edited by Goliath
Whoops sorry, didn’t see joke alert. Add my joke alert too

24 minutes ago, Stroudwater1 said:

Aren't they called Anser pins? 

You may be waiting for a while for a reply🤔 but that's what I would call them, normally at the stern. But also seen them near the well deck. Not on a traditional boat I may add. But they work fine for putting spring lines on. 

• Greenie 2

8 hours ago, PD1964 said:

@IanD I take it your Potters cabin roof has some sort of handrail on it’s roof, maybe finger grip type on the inside, like TT/JW’s cabin roof handrails?

It has a normal handrail like on the rest of the cabin, a protrusion a couple of inches high and wide.

10 hours ago, Goliath said:

that is a great description 

it always exhausts me

and I wish instead I’d just ran for an hour in a heat wave,

it would be so much easier

I'm not the one making multiple posts saying why spring line points on the gunwale are a terrible idea and a trip hazard, in spite of the fact that I pointed out this minus point in the very first post I mentioned them in... 😞

Some people -- THN included, which is why I ignore him -- just seem to take anything I (or some others) post as a red rag to a bull, often without even reading it, including my repeated "everything is a compromise, this won't suit everybody" statements -- and it's very often the same people I've annoyed in the past by using facts to counter their opinions. And then when it happens again they play the "why does he keep going on?" card so familiar to Brexiteers. The simple answer -- because they don't  understand complicated ones -- is that I refuse to give in to bullying... 🙂

It gets tedious, and is exactly why I didn't start a build blog in spite of several requests from people who were actually interested in my boat, rather than comparing it to Whitefield.

And no doubt they'll reply to this post with "Ooh, look who's being sensitive!" comments. I'm not, I can take criticism where it's justified and have even been known to change my mind when the facts change or new information comes to light -- but these kind of posts simply stop people from posting things that might be interesting or useful because they're fed up with the responses... 😞

Now waiting for incoming fire from the usual suspects... 😉

Edited by IanD
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, IanD said:

I'm not the one making multiple posts saying why spring line points on the gunwale are a terrible idea and a trip hazard, in spite of the fact that I pointed out this minus point in the very first post I mentioned them in... 😞

Some people -- THN included, which is why I ignore him -- just seem to take anything I (or some others) post as a red rag to a bull, often without even reading it, including my repeated "everything is a compromise, this won't suit everybody" statements -- and it's very often the same people I've annoyed in the past by using facts to counter their opinions. And then when it happens again they play the "why does he keep going on?" card so familiar to Brexiteers. The simple answer -- because they don't  understand complicated ones -- is that I refuse to give in to bullying... 🙂

It gets tedious, and is exactly why I didn't start a build blog instead of several requests from people who were actually interested in my boat, rather than comparing it to Whitefield.

And no doubt they'll reply to this post with "Ooh, look who's being sensitive!" comments. I'm not, I can take criticism where it's justified and have even been known to change my mind when the facts change or new information comes to light -- but these kind of posts simply stop people from posting things that might be interesting or useful because they're fed up with the responses... 😞

Now waiting for incoming fire from the usual suspects... 😉

Clearly you don't, otherwise you wouldn't have mentioned me.

As I have said previously it's probably a good idea not doing a blog given how averse you are to people offering an alternative way of doing things.