Old working boat-folks pubs

tonyreptiles

Featured Posts

19 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

I knew Grange Road was once Grange Lane and that Blackhorse Road wasn't always called that. Logically at some point it was Hawkesbury Lane as that's what the L&NWR called their station. It does seem possible that a pub gave the name to the road but as your research shows there were two pubs in close proximity with the same name. The Neal family home where my mum and gran were born was between the two. The Black Horse was a bit further away.

ETA - The Boat on Grange Road would have been inside the Coventry city boundary from 1912 onwards whereas the Boat Inn on Blackhorse Road never was. They would always have been in different parishes. 

Does this help?

1994067899_Screenshot2022-04-20105122.jpg.380d5aefeb0d0ef5ac1895376e911112.jpg

3 minutes ago, IanM said:

Does this help?

1994067899_Screenshot2022-04-20105122.jpg.380d5aefeb0d0ef5ac1895376e911112.jpg

Yes in that it confirms what I said earlier, which is that the Black Horse and the Boat were two different pubs. It  also shows that Black Horse Lane did exist historically as a road name for part of what is now Blackhorse Road.

On 16/04/2022 at 08:57, johnthebridge said:

Anyone remember the name of the Davenport's pub that used to be at the top of Atherstone? Very basic but characterful, like the hat factory next door. I've forgotten it now, but seem to think "Witch" had something to do with the name. Maybe not.

When you went past on a fine day and the factory windows were open, you'd always get a cheery wave or a ribald remark from the women working there. On one occasion, a mate and I were taking a Woolwich up to Walsall and stopped for a glass of Davvy's. We then decided to blag our way in for a look at the wonderfully old-fashioned and Victorian factory and, to our surprise, they supplied us with a ready guide who happily showed us the whole place. Inevitably, we just HAD to try on some of their products, accompanied by much hilarity from the girls working there.

A surprise and a little deceit was our guide showing us some really authentic cowboy Stetsons, the real 10 gallon variety. She pointed out the labels sewn into the hatbands which read something like "Made in the US of A". She told us that "real" Wild Westerners would never have bought them had they had "Made in Atherstone, England" in them.

(Always the way, but as soon as I went off site, I remembered the pub's name. The "Maid of the Mill"--very appropriate, given its venerable neighbour)

I remember that pub fondly -- one of our first canal holidays in the early 80s, turned up early to the boatyard (Valley Cruisers?) and had to go for a beer while they got the boat ready. Got wedged in to the Maid of the Mill, lovely friendly pub, very nice Davenports (remember "Beer at Home"?) and cobs for lunch, weaved our way back down the hill after several pints and set off. IIRC that was the boat with a fiberglass top on a steel hull which leaked every time it rained -- which it did, seeing this was the Midlands in September... 😞

Edited by IanD

1 hour ago, IanD said:

one of our first canal holidays in the early 80s, turned up early to the boatyard (Gregory's Canal Cruisers?)

Eleven of us from the university Canal Society hired a 12 berth boat from Gregory's Canal Cruisers just before Easter 1980. It was the first week of the university holidays and before the schools broke up, so very cheap hire. We headed north along the Staffs & Worcs from Autherley in a sleety blizzard, and before long we were all cold and wet. The single small catalytic heater in the boat was completely useless when faced with a single wet glove, let alone eleven sodden anoraks and frozen students. Still there was always the pub! 

The winter stoppages were supposed to have been completed the week before, but most had overrun, so there weren't many places to go. But we did think we could get round the Black Country Ring. Got to Armitage Tunnel to find it blocked by scaffolding, so ended up reversing back to the aqueduct over the Trent to wind - that took hours! So ended up going back to Autherley, up the 'hampton 21 and pootling round the BCN for the rest of the week.

1 hour ago, IanD said:

. IIRC that was the boat with a fiberglass top on a steel hull which leaked every time it rained -- which it did, seeing this was the Midlands in September... 😞

At least ours was all steel and didn't leak!

Edited by David Mack

1 hour ago, IanD said:

I remember that pub fondly -- one of our first canal holidays in the early 80s, turned up early to the boatyard (Valley Cruisers?) and had to go for a beer while they got the boat ready. Got wedged in to the Maid of the Mill, lovely friendly pub, very nice Davenports (remember "Beer at Home"?) and cobs for lunch, weaved our way back down the hill after several pints and set off. IIRC that was the boat with a fiberglass top on a steel hull which leaked every time it rained -- which it did, seeing this was the Midlands in September... 😞

I like the "had to go for a beer..." ! Forced, of course.

Davvys and a cob. What better lunch?

You've reminded me that in the early '70s I sold a Lotus to the proprietor of Valley Cruisers.

43 minutes ago, johnthebridge said:

I like the "had to go for a beer..." ! Forced, of course.

Davvys and a cob. What better lunch?

You've reminded me that in the early '70s I sold a Lotus to the proprietor of Valley Cruisers.

IIRC the boat was called "Meon", and definitely Valley Cruisers -- Gregory's Canal Cruisers was another holiday, worst boat we ever hired, broke down the first afternoon and twice more during the week... 😞

Edited by IanD

43 minutes ago, IanD said:

IIRC the boat was called "Meon", and definitely Valley Cruisers -- Gregory's Canal Cruisers was another holiday, worst boat we ever hired, broke down the first afternoon and twice more during the week... 😞

Never had to deal with them but whenever I went past them, I couldn't but help notice just how run down and poor their boats looked.

Back to pubs and, although not a pub as  such, I remember one or two good nights at the Wolverhampton Boat Club. Charlie Foster (from whom I bought the Vulcan in the '70s) and his son Horace were regulars (H actually lived in a caravan on site) and the Banks's was always on top form there. 

The pub at the top of Wolverhampton (Forgotten its name) long since demolished .

Had a lock in with Chocolate Charlie , when some of the the Anderton fleet was tied  there. It had a lovely bay window with a view of the top lock.

• Greenie 1

28 minutes ago, johnthebridge said:

Never had to deal with them but whenever I went past them, I couldn't but help notice just how run down and poor their boats looked.

Back to pubs and, although not a pub as  such, I remember one or two good nights at the Wolverhampton Boat Club. Charlie Foster (from whom I bought the Vulcan in the '70s) and his son Horace were regulars (H actually lived in a caravan on site) and the Banks's was always on top form there. 

Valley or Gregory's? Neither was the best boat we ever hired (maybe because both were "reasonably priced"), but Gregory's was definitely the worst... 😞

Edited by IanD

44 minutes ago, IanD said:

Valley or Gregory's? Neither was the best boat we ever hired (maybe because both were "reasonably priced"), but Gregory's was definitely the worst... 😞

I agree, neither were prime examples, but Gregory's took the prize. Do you remember Simolda, at Nantwich? They had some some pretty weird ideas on steelwork.

1 hour ago, IanD said:

Oh yes! We booked Gregory's because it was cheap, and suffered the consequences.

21 hours ago, Mad Harold said:

However Doombar is made, it's a dreadful beer!

My fave by the way, is Ruddles County.

I haven't had a decent pint of County since the early 80's when I used to visit the Dolphin in Betchworth, Surrey.

Went to The Boat at Gnosall this afternoon, now under new management, only took over last week so limited menu but a dog and people friendly pub and they are also changing the opening hours to all day, not closing at 3pm

Edited by ditchcrawler

On 16/04/2022 at 10:36, Pluto said:

What about pubs where you could be served on your boat? I did enter the Rodley Barge though one of the windows on one occasion many years ago, and there was a pub on Blackburn Road, Church, which I am told served boatmen though the window onto the canal. How about pubs once owned by boaters. Nellie Forshaw used to own the Farmers Arms at New Lane, and she came from a boating family.

They treated us very kindly at the Rodley Barge last Autumn, letting us tie up for a couple of days. We could step off the deck straight into the pub garden.Nice unpretentious pub. I can't say they'll always let people tie up by the garden, but there are good visitor moorings next door ,just before the swing bridge.

Image 21-04-2022 at 18.34.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Evenin all

Great thread - all sorts of observations! Someone, perhaps, should make a definitive list, if one is possible.

Way back, someone mentioned the Davenport Arms at Calveley on the Shropshire Union. Alas, this closed finally a few years ago, and the site of pub and car park are now housing. Going south from there, the Jolly Tar has had the same fate, and The Star at Acton is now a (well-restored) house again, with new housing in the car park. And, going north, the pub at Beeston was demolished some years ago and the site is...housing again! Not sure about others, but not many pubs left on that length, sadly, with or without character. I do recall the old Kings Arms at Barbridge - its posh successor is still open.

Good job I don't drink - except tea, coffee or lemonade! 

Joseph