Jump to content

Boating Expenses


Jash

Featured Posts

I'm confused here.

 

Everyone seems to be talking about general living expenses not boat-specific expenses.

 

Licence

Insurance

BSS (every 4 years)

Maintenance allowance (depends on value/age of boat)

Mooring fees (optional ;))

 

Everything else is a lifestyle expense is it not?  I'd include diesel, solid fuel and gas in this category as well as the more obvious takeaways and pub spends.  Not because you don't need fuels on a boat but because how much you need depends mostly on your lifestyle, not the boat.

 

Most people still need to buy food even if they don't have a boat ...

  • Greenie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, TheBiscuits said:

Everyone seems to be talking about general living expenses not boat-specific expenses.

 

In post #19 I said :

 

Your food and clothing costs will be similar to living in bricks and mortar.

 

And then listed some variances in such as electricity and moorings

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, PD1964 said:

No where near £1K a month and you say that doesn’t include moorings. You must be using a lot of fuel and eating a lot of Take Aways.

Just checked my log - I bought 934 litres of diesel last year.

 

I was on the boat for 177 days in the 12 months, it uses about 1 litre per hour for the engine and about 0.5 litres per hour for the Refleks (when it's on), so the expense adds up over time.

 

If I have to pay £2 per litre this year, that's quite a lot of cash.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, frahkn said:

Just checked my log - I bought 934 litres of diesel last year.

 

I was on the boat for 177 days in the 12 months, it uses about 1 litre per hour for the engine and about 0.5 litres per hour for the Refleks (when it's on), so the expense adds up over time.

 

If I have to pay £2 per litre this year, that's quite a lot of cash.

But last year it was average 95p a litre ish?? yes this year could be different with the cost of diesel. Then again I find it only effects the elderly “2 Bob Millionaires” who will stay tied up along the bank more and just tell the walkers how well off they are, while sat on their Aldi camping chairs drinking cheap wine and beer🍻   

 I still think £1000 a month, not including mooring is on the high side and far from average for only boat running costs.

Edited by PD1964
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TheBiscuits said:

I'm confused here.

 

Everyone seems to be talking about general living expenses not boat-specific expenses.

 

Licence

Insurance

BSS (every 4 years)

Maintenance allowance (depends on value/age of boat)

Mooring fees (optional ;))

 

Everything else is a lifestyle expense is it not?  I'd include diesel, solid fuel and gas in this category as well as the more obvious takeaways and pub spends.  Not because you don't need fuels on a boat but because how much you need depends mostly on your lifestyle, not the boat.

 

Most people still need to buy food even if they don't have a boat ...

Exactly, I could easily spend £1000 even £2000 a month, but most of that would be on stuff I don’t need or has no relation with the boats running costs.

 The personal costs like food, pubs, socialising, hobbies, eating out, TV/Gaming(electric) is down to the individual and is the same costs to everyone living on land or in a boat when shopping at Tesco’s.

  Do newbies and people think it’s not? So yes it could cost £1000 a month, but for me that would include personal living costs and boat running costs.

Edited by PD1964
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

I would say house costs about £2k a year on maintenance if averaged long term. But the house appreciates in value to offset this .

I  would say a boat could cost about the same £2k on average to maintain but is not going to appreciate in value in the same way as a house.

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

Exactly, I could easily spend £1000 even £2000 a month, but most of that would be on stuff I don’t need or has no relation with the boats running costs.

 The personal costs like food, pubs, socialising, hobbies, eating out, TV/Gaming(electric) is down to the individual and is the same costs to everyone living on land or in a boat when shopping at Tesco’s.

  Do newbies and people think it’s not? So yes it could cost £1000 a month but for me that would include personal living costs not boat costs.

The conversation seemed to have drifted to include general living expenses, which is why I agreed with a round figure of £1000 per month.

And yes I agree it’s a generous figure. 
 

A boat only figure would be as Thebiscuits says;

1 hour ago, TheBiscuits said:

Licence

Insurance

BSS (every 4 years)

Maintenance allowance (depends on value/age of boat)

Mooring fees (optional ;))

 

Which (part from maintenance) are simple figures to work out.

 

I


 


 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, MartynG said:

 

I would say house costs about £2k a year on maintenance if averaged long term. But the house appreciates in value to offset this .

I  would say a boat could cost about the same £2k on average to maintain but is not going to appreciate in value in the same way as a house.

 

 

 

I would say it all depends on initial outlay of the boat, a cheap £10k project boat that needs overplating will be more spent on it then a new boat over 5 years say.

 The biggest outlay for upkeep is blackening and maybe anodes every 2-4 year, say £1000 plus docking cost,  then engine service every 500hrs. Then just routine upkeep derust/paint touch-up. Another large expense though is battery replacement £400 plus every 4-5 years depending on usage and battery price.

  Unless it’s major unforeseen mechanical/electrical failure I don’t budget £2K a year. One this year for the first time is propeller off and refurbished and balanced approx £180. So there’s always something to maintain and spend money on.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

I would say it all depends on initial outlay of the boat, a cheap £10k project boat that needs overplating will be more spent on it then a new boat over 5 years say.

 The biggest outlay for upkeep is blackening and maybe anodes every 2-4 year, say £1000 plus docking cost,  then engine service every 500hrs. Then just routine upkeep derust/paint touch-up. Another large expense though is battery replacement £400 plus every 4-5 years depending on usage and battery price.

  Unless it’s major unforeseen mechanical/electrical failure I don’t budget £2K a year. One this year for the first time is propeller off and refurbished and balanced approx £180. So there’s always something to maintain and spend money on.

 

Engine service every 500 hours, are you sure, I've got a Isuzu LB33, which I reckon is pretty rugged, but longest I've left it is 300.

I must admit I like fresh paintwork but locking through Bingley scuffed the gunwales paintwork considerably, so I applied some 10 year undercoat (Sandtex), to see me through the winter, prepping it for a new topcoat using a paint (SML Shield marine topcoat) which should be good to go for touch up. Might as well re coat the cabin sides, while I'm at it as I ran out of weather and time on my first attempt, each side has a different pattern, hardly noticeable 🇬🇪

I am heartened by the number of positive comments from fellow boaters, so I must be doing something right. 🙂

Edited by LadyG
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Engine service every 500 hours, are you sure, I've got a Isuzu, which I reckon is pretty rugged, but longest I've left it is 300.

That was a general remark. Some engines say, change fuel filter every 200hrs, oil  and filter every 250hrs, air filter 500hrs.  It was just to highlight a regular recurring expense.

  Just like I mentioned un-foreseen mechanical failure, like the unexpected costs you’ve just had with your rudder.
  

Edited by PD1964
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, PD1964 said:

So there’s always something to maintain and spend money on.

 

That's true

A boat is a collection of faults waiting to reveal themselves .

 

 

  • Greenie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, PD1964 said:

  Unless it’s major unforeseen mechanical/electrical failure I don’t budget £2K a year. One this year for the first time is propeller off and refurbished and balanced approx £180. So there’s always something to maintain and spend money 

 

I’ve  just done a reckoning from memory on paper, so it really is a guesstimate for what I have spent on my boat over 10 years. 

Insurance, license, blacking, hull surveys and only much needed maintenance, it falls around the £17,500 mark. 
I would have to look at me records properly and I’m sure I will have missed something. 

So perhaps £2000 a year is possibly correct regards to simply keeping the narrowboat afloat. 




 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, LadyG said:

Engine service every 500 hours, are you sure, I've got a Isuzu LB33, which I reckon is pretty rugged, but longest I've left it is 300.

My babies require fresh oil every 100 hrs 

image.png.620fa93c4a73f54fd2d761d44947c06d.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Goliath said:

I’ve  just done a reckoning from memory on paper, so it really is a guesstimate for what I have spent on my boat over 10 years. 

Insurance, license, blacking, hull surveys and only much needed maintenance, it falls around the £17,500 mark. 
I would have to look at me records properly and I’m sure I will have missed something. 

So perhaps £2000 a year is possibly correct regards to simply keeping the narrowboat afloat. 




 

But that figure was quoted for maintenance. Not License, insurance, for me that’s roughly £1150 and £275 this year. If my boat started costing me £2000 a year just on maintenance I would be looking for another boat.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

But that figure was quoted for maintenance. Not License, insurance, for me that’s roughly £1150 and £275 this year. If my boat started costing me £2000 a year just on maintenance I would be looking for another boat.

What you rambling on now? Read what I said 🤷‍♀️

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

But that figure was quoted for maintenance. Not License, insurance, for me that’s roughly £1150 and £275 this year. If my boat started costing me £2000 a year just on maintenance I would be looking for another boat.

I've had my present boat for 5 years, I knew it needed painting so I'm not counting paint. It had been blasted and 2-pac before I bought it. So far it's cost £0 to maintain though I haven't really driven it far - about 10 hours engine running. I really ought to change the oil though.

Edited by Slow and Steady
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Slow and Steady said:

I've had my present boat for 5 years, I knew it needed painting so I'm not counting paint. It had been blasted and 2-pac before I bought it. So far it's cost £0 to maintain though I haven't really driven it far - about 10 hours engine running. I really ought to change the oil though.

 

 

5 years and not changed the oil - you could be in for a nightmare.

 

Acid in old engine oil sits there eating all your bearings, crank everything. Lack of use and acidic dirty oil destroy more engines than any othe reason.

  • Greenie 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

 

 

5 years and not changed the oil - you could be in for a nightmare.

 

Acid in old engine oil sits there eating all your bearings, crank everything. Lack of use and acidic dirty oil destroy more engines than any othe reason.

Yes, I know. :( Thanks for the reminder though!

Oil was fresh when I bought it and still looks clean, it's a Beta 43 only just past it's first oil change hours - 16 years and hardly run, I'm hoping the oil is so clean I'll have got away with it. However, I suspect that oil change was in fact the only one it ever had from new so...

Edited by Slow and Steady
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Goliath said:

What you rambling on now? Read what I said 🤷‍♀️

The £2000 figure was originally quoted for maintenance by @MartynG for a year not anything else, not licence and insurance. 
Read what he said, then deduct your licence and insurance for your last 10 years as not maintenance are they, but requirements.

Edited by PD1964
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

The £2000 figure was originally quoted for maintenance by @MartynG for a year not anything else, not licence and insurance. 
Read what he said, then deduct your licence and insurance for your last 10 years as not maintenance are they, but requirements.

I’m not referring to MartynG but my own experience.

And if I don’t maintain my boat it won’t float.

I’m required a hull survey every 4 or 5 year for insurance amongst other things
 

so as basics to keep a boat I’ll go with;

insurance 

licence

BSS

and needed maintenance 

 

which has possibly worked out at possibly £2000 a year over a 10 year period for me

you may manage for less and for others it may cost more but either way it gives the OP an idea of cost
 

 

if I still had my house £2000 wouldn’t even cover the council tax and water rates

  • Greenie 1
  • Unimpressed 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Goliath said:

I’m not referring to MartynG but my own experience.

And if I don’t maintain my boat it won’t float.

I’m required a hull survey every 4 or 5 year for insurance amongst other things
 

so as basics to keep a boat I’ll go with;

insurance 

licence

BSS

and needed maintenance 

 

which has possibly worked out at possibly £2000 a year over a 10 year period for me

you may manage for less and for others it may cost more but either way it gives the OP an idea of cost
 

 

if I still had my house £2000 wouldn’t even cover the council tax and water rates

Agree, there’s so many variables and each boat and individual is different, which effects the yearly cost also location.

  In my area for residential moorings and all the CaRT paper requirements you would need £3500-£4500 a year not including your elect, gas, diesel and any maintenance😊

 

  • Greenie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Most people still need to buy food even if they don't have a boat ...

I guess some people don't need to buy food. My grandchildren for example . But they are all under the age of 8.😁

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Goliath said:

if I still had my house £2000 wouldn’t even cover the council tax and water rates

 

Mind you, your tenants would pay that. AND pay you perhaps £8k a year towards your boating costs. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, MtB said:

 

Mind you, your tenants would pay that. AND pay you perhaps £8k a year towards your boating costs. 

Or like my bro in law, they could stop paying rent, trash the house needing 8k repairs and take months to get out?

  • Greenie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.