Boating in France .

Shropie Lad

Featured Posts

I am Interested in boating in France !  I.E. buying my own boat etc, boating & living on it for all the year long, How much  is the costs, what are the rules, Do you have to have moorings, or keep moving on.  Or anything else that might trip me up.

Just now, Shropie Lad said:

I am Interested in boating in France !  I.E. buying my own boat etc, boating & living on it for all the year long, How much  is the costs, what are the rules, Do you have to have moorings, or keep moving on.  Or anything else that might trip me up.

Paging @wandering snail & @Tam & Di

1 minute ago, Shropie Lad said:

Remember a thing called Brexit happened last year. Living 12 months a year in France may not be possible

Take a look here https://nbchalkhillblue.blogspot.com/

19 minutes ago, Shropie Lad said:

Yes i was thinking of this & if i have to have a mooring or take it out of water etc.  Or any other round the Brexit problem.

It is still possible to live in France post Brexit, its just more of a prat on.

The lack of a permanent residence I suspect may now be a problem.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-in-france

Edited by The Happy Nomad

32 minutes ago, Shropie Lad said:

As we're no longer in the EU you're going to have to comply with the EU Visa rules :

"Under the terms of Schengen, non-EEA nationals cannot spend more than a total of 90 days within a total period of 180 days without a visa. Furthermore, once you've used up your quota of 90 days, you cannot return to Schengen until 90 more days have passed."

So You can boat for 90 days, then you have to come back to the UK for 3 months and then you can go back again.

7 minutes ago, StephenA said:

As we're no longer in the EU you're going to have to comply with the EU Visa rules :

"Under the terms of Schengen, non-EEA nationals cannot spend more than a total of 90 days within a total period of 180 days without a visa. Furthermore, once you've used up your quota of 90 days, you cannot return to Schengen until 90 more days have passed."

So You can boat for 90 days, then you have to come back to the UK for 3 months and then you can go back again.

Doesn't have to be the UK. 

It can be any non Schengen country.

Just now, StephenA said:

Yes that is doable, But what do i do with me boat, Would you have a permanant mooring or could you leave moored up  in a unrestricted area ( or anywhere else without falling foul of the authorities )

35 minutes ago, Shropie Lad said:

Yes that is doable, But what do i do with me boat, Would you have a permanant mooring or could you leave moored up  in a unrestricted area ( or anywhere else without falling foul of the authorities )

Friends of ours do it, 90 days in 90 days out but they leave theirs in a marina. 

They plan a rough route and find a marina near the end of their 90 days to leave the boat. Doesn't cost them loads compared to UK prices. 

6 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Friends of ours do it, 90 days in 90 days out but they leave theirs in a marina. 

They plan a rough route and find a marina near the end of their 90 days to leave the boat. Doesn't cost them loads compared to UK prices. 

That would work quiet well for us, the cost of a marina at uk prices would be a worry for me not having an endless budget .

I've no idea how you would get on now post the 'B' word. All our very happy Europe wanderings were done when we didn't have to think about not being European, a freedom that now my children can only dream of. Brexit brought us back as we couldn't see a way around it and is why we can't help but good luck. Maybe look at being French residents then you would not have the 90 day problem. Of course then you would have to pay for their healthcare and if you are pensioners, that's another problem (message me for more on this and banking if you like). We were offered Belgian residency but our narrowboat is now too long at 70ft to comply with regs that were brought in while we were there but didn't do anything about once we knew we were having to return. How long is your boat? Ideally keep it at 15m incase they change the 20m rule again. Cruising for all the years that we were in Europe was the happiest time of our lives and if there is a god, we thank him that we did it when we did!

• Greenie 3

You are about 20 years too late! We had a great time in France on the canals and rivers, friendly people, low costs and uncrowded. It can get very cold in the winter and we never lived on board for more than 6 weeks at a time. Alas like Wandering Snail we knew our time was up due to that catastrophe in 2016. I'm too embarrassed to go anywhere in Europe flying a red duster now but if you really want to do it learn French get residency and buy a French registered boat but its going to cost you - I believe you even pay tax on the ownership of a boat.

Your immediate problem would be getting a 12 month visa to allow you to be there, as otherwise you can only remain for 90 days in a rolling 180 day period. As far as the boat is concerned, Wandering Snail and a handful of others have cruised with narrow boats, but they are not ideal craft on the larger French canals for various reasons, and certainly not for a novice. In respect of the boating, there is no real comparison between 'continuous cruising' on UK canals and what is possible in France; the laws are completely different and the answer is too complicated to put in a few words, but it can be done. One aspect is the size of boat you have in mind - there are fairly stringent requirements for craft over 20m, but smaller craft only really have to comply with whatever your insurer might require. You do have to have a helmsman's certificate and knowledge of the CEVNI rules of the road - on commercial waterways you might be cruising in narrow channels with craft loading some 2000t or so. You also need VHF which is mandatory even for small craft in certain regions. Most commercial waterways remain open all year round, but pleasure waterways such as the Midi close from about October through to Easter and you'd have to find a mooring for that period. Marina moorings are in short supply, and the majority only have limited fresh water supplies and pump-out facilities. France has always been very laid back about foreign boats, but Customs officials are becoming increasingly concerned lately and there are potential problems with VAT status - there is the possibility that you would have to pay French VAT (TVA) even if you have proof that it was already paid in the UK. There are problems with phone and internet coverage if that is important, and maintenance/breakdown/refueling facilities for your boat - you won't find boatyards every few miles and you really would have to get some sort of basic ability to communicate in French. You will get far more detailed information if you look at the DBA website www.barges.org, and if you are serious you really should join the DBA.

Tam

Edited by Tam & Di
  • Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, Ronaldo47 said:

If you have an Irish parent or grandparent, you would be eligible for an Irish passport. 

I seriously looked into this given my family history.

It is far from straightforward and requires pretty comprehensive supporting documentation.

10 hours ago, Mike Adams said:

You are about 20 years too late! We had a great time in France on the canals and rivers, friendly people, low costs and uncrowded. It can get very cold in the winter and we never lived on board for more than 6 weeks at a time. Alas like Wandering Snail we knew our time was up due to that catastrophe in 2016. I'm too embarrassed to go anywhere in Europe flying a red duster now but if you really want to do it learn French get residency and buy a French registered boat but its going to cost you - I believe you even pay tax on the ownership of a boat.

Almost 8 years ago  ago since the referendum . How time flies 

I don't think the voting public realised the true impacts of leaving the EU.

The only benefit will be UK residents are less likely to travel to the EU for extended periods so  more money will be spent in the UK.

From another forum a 6 month visa may be obtained but involves a visit to the Embassy for each country and fees.

Longer than 6 months seems more involved as has tax implications. But I expect all is possible  even if not simple or cheap.

8 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

It is far from straightforward and requires pretty comprehensive supporting documentation.

Happily Di was able to get one fairly easily a couple of years ago. But our eldest son started the process last year and has been told there is still a 12 month waiting list as the Irish passport office is totally overwhelmed. Other family members gain (regain!!!!!) the same freedom of movement, but it is essential to report to the local préfecture where you will issued a temporary carte de séjour, otherwise you will only be able to travel together with the passport holder and even then may still meet with problems at the border control.

Tam

Edited by Tam & Di

13 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

That would be the most likely pattern, but the actual requirements for visitors in the Schengen countries are maximum 90 days in a rolling 180 day period. You look back 180 days from each day you are in the country and that tells you how many more days (if any) you may stay. You can e.g. stay throughout the year alternating one month in and one month out.

However as I mentioned above, foreign boats can only remain for a limited period (18 months as I recall) and after that they must be reregistered in France. Authorities have rarely implemented this in the past but there are reports that this is changing. Owners are being advised to make a one day trip out of the EU countries, e.g. a trip Calais-Dover, to restart the permitted period.

Tam

A small amendment - a UK registered boat would become liable to import duties and VAT after 18 months, but it does not actually have to be re-registered and it can remain on the SSR or full UK registry.

Edited by Tam & Di

11 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Parents or grandparents birth certificates, basically. Getting hold of them can be ‘amusing’ though. My wife’s grandmother spelled her surname three different ways, and had two different birthdates. Long, friendly, chats on the phone with helpful registrars sorted it all out though. At one point the Irish embassy in Paris phoned our local Mairie to confirm that she was Irish, so she could vote.

• Greenie 1

12 hours ago, Ronaldo47 said:

If you have an Irish parent or grandparent, you would be eligible for an Irish passport. 

I applied for an Irish passport at the start of December last year.

The estimated issue date was 28th February. It still hasn't landed!

You can follow your application on their website and last week my application changed from 'veryifing documents' to 'application being processed'.

I applied online but sent them my father's and grandmother's birth certificates, my driving licence, a bank statement and council tax bill/

The person who took my photograph said the requirements for photos for Irish passports are different to those for UK passports.

I don't see myself travelling abroad in the near future but its my way of poking up two fingers to Farage and his fellow travellers.

Take that Nigel!

😛

ETA: I forgot to add my birth certificate to the list.

Edited by Victor Vectis

4 hours ago, Tam & Di said:

That would be the most likely pattern, but the actual requirements for visitors in the Schengen countries are maximum 90 days in a rolling 180 day period. You look back 180 days from each day you are in the country and that tells you how many more days (if any) you may stay. You can e.g. stay throughout the year alternating one month in and one month out.

However as I mentioned above, foreign boats can only remain for a limited period (18 months as I recall) and after that they must be reregistered in France. Authorities have rarely implemented this in the past but there are reports that this is changing. Owners are being advised to make a one day trip out of the EU countries, e.g. a trip Calais-Dover, to restart the permitted period.

Tam

A small amendment - a UK registered boat would become liable to import duties and VAT after 18 months, but it does not actually have to be re-registered and it can remain on the SSR or full UK registry.

They got around the time limit requirement by proving that the boat had been in Spain for a few years previous to the new rules coming in. 

It remains a UK registered boat but has EU boat status.

What is unclear is whether they would be liable for VAT if they reimport the boat to the UK. But for now they are not concerned about that as they have no immediate plans to bring it home although they may move it into France again in the next couple of years.

It is for these reasons that boat owners were advised by the RYA to ensure they got a 'certificate of location' for their boats from their mooring operator, confirming that moorings were paid for and that the boat was located at "xxxxxxxx" at 11pm on 31st December 2020.

It obviously has only a limited effect on NB owners unless they are based with the EU or were planning to take it over to the EU.

But for Barges or Cruisers that could (and do) make the trip its an extra bit of paperwork needed.

We were 'on the hard' near Plymouth at the time :

Screenshot (1070).png

Edited by Alan de Enfield

If you can cope with the 90 day rule or get a long term visa I think it would be best to buy the boat in the EU most likely the Nederlands where there are lots of cruisers and still small barges for sale. As they would be registered in the Nederlands this can be carried over and the VAT situation would be clear . Unless you brought it back to the UK when there could be a charge. 
we spent 18 years on the continent and enjoyed every moment. Moorings in France are available at very modest cost and we had a winter mooring for less than 400 euros.