Livaboard heating

new2boat

Featured Posts

But it is a draught diverter.

A balanced flue appliance draws its combustion air in from outside close to the exhaust and is sealed completely to the room.  Yours is an open flue appliance with a balanced draught diverter flap that is meant to swing open if the flue suffers a negative air pressure due to wind. It will still kill you if the flue stops working at clearing the products of combustion.

6 hours ago, IanD said:

Maybe it should be pointed out that plenty of people on land only have one type of domestic heating (gas, oil, electric, solid fuel) and don't have any real problems with not having a backup?

We have always had at least two heat sources sometimes three wherever we have lived.

It is very unlikely that the gas would ever be shut off  on land as turning it back on would be a major problem unlike electric which can come and go.

1 hour ago, Tony Brooks said:

Sounds too good to be true and I note no electrical consumption or indicative price given that I could see.

Nor an indication whether the power supply is 12 V dc or 230 V ac. Nor overall dimensions.

Just found a data sheet linked from https://postmarineheating.com/en/assortiment/smart-line-boiler-control/. Has dimensions and confirms unit is 230V. No price.

Edited by David Mack

20 hours ago, IanD said:

Maybe it should be pointed out that plenty of people on land only have one type of domestic heating (gas, oil, electric, solid fuel) and don't have any real problems with not having a backup?

But then domestic gas and oil (to compare to onboard diesel) CH systems are designed for the job to run every day all year, are built with (relatively!) reliable and suitable components, and rarely break down as a consequence -- and when they do, there are plenty of people who can fix them (at hopefully reasonable cost) because there are millions of these systems out there.

Yes, you've answered your own point, although generally on land it's only those who rely solely on electric heating who would have no backup at all. Everyone else can plug in electric heaters if their other systems go wrong.

Anyway, living on boats is different for the reasons you mention and you should have backup systems. Just ask all the people who have attempted to live aboard relying only on Eberspacher, Webasto or Hurricane heating. They were never designed for full time domestic use and sooner or later it always ends in tears. 

8 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Yes, you've answered your own point, although generally on land it's only those who rely solely on electric heating who would have no backup at all. Everyone else can plug in electric heaters if their other systems go wrong.

Anyway, living on boats is different for the reasons you mention and you should have backup systems. Just ask all the people who have attempted to live aboard relying only on Eberspacher, Webasto or Hurricane heating. They were never designed for full time domestic use and sooner or later it always ends in tears. 

Am I being pedantic when pointing out that domestic central heating systems are totally reliant on an electricity supply to work.

I do agree that my limited experience of using Webasto heating has convinced me that it cannot be relied upon as a stand alone system.

• Greenie 1

12 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Not so, if the electric goes off you lose your central heating be it gas or oil

• Greenie 2

1 hour ago, Idle Days said:

Am I being pedantic when pointing out that domestic central heating systems are totally reliant on an electricity supply to work.

Your point is taken, but I think we all know that if the electrical supply to a house fails then the occupier is screwed in more ways than just not being able to heat the place up.

When the ancient fuseboard blew up at the house on the Thames where I was mooring, the owner couldn't understand how I still had lights and TV on my boat (I had a 13 amp supply from the house). Boats are built with multiple systems - it should be part of the boaters mindset. That's why such questions as "Should I install a solid fuel stove or Webasto?" etc, are erroneous. 

1 hour ago, Loddon said:

Not so, if the electric goes off you lose your central heating be it gas or oil

You can tell I've never owned a house...

Edited by blackrose

I have an alternative to fit, but I wouldn't throw out the Morso. It's silent, can be kept going with multiple fuels, even the furniture if necessary. And as the gas ran out the other evening, finished the cooking off on it. The Morso is very versatile. 

Edited by Higgs

11 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Your point is taken, but I think we all know that if the electrical supply to a house fails then the occupier is screwed in more ways than just not being able to heat the place up.

Not always, if we lose external electric we still have a gas hob to cook on and a stove in the front room for heat. It has always been that way in every property.

Also I think I may be able to switch the solar/battery system over to "off grid" so external electricity could be irrelevant in summer🌞

4 hours ago, Loddon said:

Not always, if we lose external electric we still have a gas hob to cook on and a stove in the front room for heat. It has always been that way in every property.

Also I think I may be able to switch the solar/battery system over to "off grid" so external electricity could be irrelevant in summer🌞

But you've got no lights either...

6 hours ago, blackrose said:

IIRC the Hurricane was designed for full-time heating...

(Ebers and Webbys certainly weren't though)

The point I was trying to make is that saying "you must have a backup heating system for when the main one fails" is just as true (or not) on a boat as in a house -- except more so on boats which use cheap diesel heaters which aren't designed for the job, which is what many people do...

If you have a reliable system then a backup is desirable, if you have an unreliable system then I agree that it's essential.

It's also possible to have modern boats where relying on having mains power is more acceptable than in a house, if you have two AC power sources (e.g. solar/battery/inverter and generator) -- which of course is expensive... 😞

At home we have gas CH, if this fails (very rare) the emergency backup is fan heaters -- but if the power fails, we're screwed, so this is the critical point of failure not the CH. On the boat I'll have a diesel boiler designed for the job, if this fails (also expect this to be rare) the emergency backup is fan heaters. Which is OK on a boat with a big battery bank/inverter/solar and a generator, though it wouldn't be on most boats.

Edited by IanD
  • Greenie 1

20 minutes ago, IanD said:

But you've got no lights either...

If i havent switched the solar batteries over to off grid then  I have an Alladin oil lamp or LED battery powered battens from the van that I can use

Lights are the easy bit ;)

Biggest problem for me would be the freezers but the solar should just about keep them going in winter.

Edited by Loddon
  • Greenie 2