Airbnb Insurance for boats

David2911

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, miragev said:

I’ve been on at least 8 air BnB breaks this last 12 months and not cooked once 

Yep, I agree, its definitely worth looking at the "no cooking" option, it will limit the customer base but might have advantages on renting out a boat which more than make up for this. (Like the price of gas, for example).

5 hours ago, MtB said:

I don't think letting is permitted at all unless there is a static mooring.

I could be wrong but check with CRT if it is your intention to let your boat as a CCer.

no i have a mooring i wouldn't be letting as a  CCer 

Renting a private boat,starter removed so it could nt be moved ,or run..........the person renting decided to 'tighten up the mooring ',a change of wind caught the renters hand in the rope and crushed it......He sued the owner ,and won ......because "when you rent a boat,it imposes on you a  more than a usual duty of care"..........needless to say ,insurance rejected the claim as commercial use which  was specifically excluded in the cover.

11 minutes ago, john.k said:

Renting a private boat,starter removed so it could nt be moved ,or run..........the person renting decided to 'tighten up the mooring ',a change of wind caught the renters hand in the rope and crushed it......He sued the owner ,and won ......because "when you rent a boat,it imposes on you a  more than a usual duty of care"..........needless to say ,insurance rejected the claim as commercial use which  was specifically excluded in the cover.

Yeah if you are going the official route, CRT will want you to have a hire boat handover procedure. Had the above boatlord had one of them in place, it might have had some influence on the apportionment of negligence and the court case could have gone a different way.

Or the renter might not have trapped his hand in the first place.

3 minutes ago, Paul C said:

Yeah if you are going the official route, CRT will want you to have a hire boat handover procedure. Had the above boatlord had one of them in place, it might have had some influence on the apportionment of negligence and the court case could have gone a different way.

Surely this is to perpetuate the confusion between hire boats (hired as self-drive boats for a day or a week) and rented boats, rented out as fixed location accommodation only, e.g. air BnB or long term rental.

I think the CRT requirements for each are different.

18 minutes ago, Paul C said:

It won't be a CRT mooring as they specifically disallow short lets on their moorings and the OP knows this as has confirmed in a previous post. 

1 minute ago, magnetman said:

It won't be a CRT mooring as they specifically disallow short lets on their moorings and the OP knows this as has confirmed in a previous post. 

And, all of the marinas I have used actively refuse to allow any businesses to be conducted from the marina without approval and a huge uplift in mooring rates.

39 minutes ago, Paul C said:

A recognised handover procedure is part of the crt SL license requirement so they will have had it ….my original question was on did  anyone know where to get suitable insurance as I was not having much luck obtaining any it’s not as if anyone has never ever hired a boat out before it’s done thousands of times every day quite safely and successfully …why do people on here always assume you don’t intend to do things the correct way ..just saying…

I would suggest quite a lot of boats advertised on the online bread and breakfast websites may not be adequately insured for what they are doing. Just a theory. 

Isn't that the whole point of it being b&b? It is a different setup because you are letting people use part of the house not the whole thing. 

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, miragev said:

A recognised handover procedure is part of the crt SL license requirement so they will have had it ….my original question was on did  anyone know where to get suitable insurance as I was not having much luck obtaining any it’s not as if anyone has never ever hired a boat out before it’s done thousands of times every day quite safely and successfully …why do people on here always assume you don’t intend to do things the correct way ..just saying…

Don't worry about the general off specific topic stuff, it's the nature of the forum and brings out detail which would otherwise never be discussed and will be of interest to other boaters.

19 minutes ago, miragev said:

why do people on here always assume you don’t intend to do things the correct way ..just saying…

Because I'd estimate nine out of ten new posters turning up asking similar questions DO turn out not to have done any prior research. To be fair, their research begins with their question here, so lots of the old hands here responding will have read into your question more than you actually asked. 

Edited by MtB
Finesse the point.

If the OP wanted specific advice about insurance, and no other advice, then I suspect he would have got virtually no response here, since I imagine hardly anybody reading this has any experience of letting static boats (legitimately). The OP would do far better with a decent marine insurance broker, or by approaching other boat letters directly and asking them who provides their insurance.

Letting boats via online b&b websites is always going to be a mildly contentious topic because mooring providers generally don't allow it or want a cut and obviously a proper business plan. 

It isn't very surprising the unsurance is difficult to get. 

5 minutes ago, David Mack said:

If the OP wanted specific advice about insurance, and no other advice, then I suspect he would have got virtually no response here, since I imagine hardly anybody reading this has any experience of letting static boats (legitimately). The OP would do far better with a decent marine insurance broker, or by approaching other boat letters directly and asking them who provides their insurance.

Quite right, all the above.

Also it's human nature not to (unhelpfully) respond with "don't know", so people tend to try to supply peripheral, related information instead.

3 minutes ago, David Mack said:

I done both to be honest.. approaching other boating letters from the experience I have had is they don’t want to help because in effect your the competition.. and before I posted on here I phoned half a dozen insurers and  was just met with ..no sorry we don’t do static air BnB style insurance cover 

8 minutes ago, miragev said:

I done both to be honest.. approaching other boating letters from the experience I have had is they don’t want to help because in effect your the competition.. and before I posted on here I phoned half a dozen insurers and  was just met with ..no sorry we don’t do static air BnB style insurance cover 

And I guess one of the problems is that without Insurance (and the inherent risks) you cannot even get a boat licence.

I wonder what the insurers would say if you said you were doing short term hire rather than static lettings. 

Just because the person hiring doesn't move the boat it is still boat hire presumably. CRT do a commercial hire licence to cover this so there must be insurance. 

12 minutes ago, miragev said:

have you tried a proper professional business orientated insurance BROKER who should have a good grasp of where such insurance could be placed. If you have just used the adverts for boat insurance, they are not geared up to do the job brokers do.

12 minutes ago, miragev said:

.. approaching other boating letters from the experience I have had is they don’t want to help because in effect your the competition..

My experience is that people in business are generally quite happy to give general advice of this sort to others in the same line of business. The fact that they won't tell you suggests to me that they don't want to let on that their insurance may not strictly cover what they are doing...

• Greenie 3

On 06/02/2022 at 14:09, ditchcrawler said:

How much would Whitfield cost if it was built today?

I saw Whitfield at Crick ...when it was brand new and had been taken there for display by the builders.

Boy ....did they have problems manoeuvring it onto the mooring even with bow and stern thrusters..I could have done it easily with no thrusters at all !

I went on board it.

I seem to recall it had 6 large screen TV sets...one of which displayed relaxing videos. ( Not the Pammy Anderson type 😃😃)

That must have been about 15 years ago and the builder confided in me that the build cost was £350,000 😳😳😳

Some months later....I saw the owners trying to tackle a winding section of canal near Napton....looking totally terrified with the silly little joy stick as it zig zagged horribly trying to collide with everything in its path.

Later I found it careering towards me in the Braunston tunnel.... barely under control.

A classic case....of trying to reinvent the wheel. 

Just now, Bobbybass said:

I saw Whitfield at Crick ...when it was brand new and had been taken there for display by the builders.

Boy ....did they have problems manoeuvring it onto the mooring even with bow and stern thrusters..I could have done it easily with no thrusters at all !

I went on board it.

I seem to recall it had 6 large screen TV sets...one of which displayed relaxing videos. ( Not the Pammy Anderson type 😃😃)

That must have been about 15 years ago and the builder confided in me that the build cost was £350,000 😳😳😳

Some months later....I saw the owners trying to tackle a winding section of canal near Napton....looking totally terrified with the silly little joy stick as it zig zagged horribly trying to collide with everything in its path.

Later I found it careering towards me in the Braunston tunnel.... barely under control.

A classic case....of trying to reinvent the wheel. 

Reinvent the tiller, surely? 😉

I've steered a boat with a wheel on the canals and it ws *horrible* -- no feedback, dog slow to respond... 😞

4 minutes ago, IanD said:

Reinvent the tiller, surely? 😉

I've steered a boat with a wheel on the canals and it ws *horrible* -- no feedback, dog slow to respond... 😞

Ok.... reinvent the tiller 😃😃

Apart from having the two seats at the back with a control panel between them...it also had CCTV on that panel with cameras showing left right and straight ahead views.

The owners also had a repeat of that joy stick steering at the front....as they had this strange idea that they would sit at a table on the front.... sipping gin and tonic....while cruising along. 🙃🙃🙃😃😃😃

They were wealthy people....a large private gin palace in the Med and their own aircraft.

They seemed to think they could apply the private sea going yacht principles....to a canal boat 😃😃

Didn't the next owner of Whitfield strip out the joy stick and put a tiller back on ,?

2 hours ago, miragev said:

And perhaps the answer is that no company now wants to offer this cover because the risks are too high, gained from past experience.

4 hours ago, miragev said:

why do people on here always assume you don’t intend to do things the correct way ..just saying…

I don't think we do, but the problems you are having shows how hard it is to do legitimately. I have seen a couple advertised, I think there is one in Birmingham but that is owned by a boating company so I suspect their general boating insurance covers it www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g186402-d13814633-r565894328-Boatel_Birmingham-Birmingham_West_Midlands_England.html 

This one may be on CRT waters, I don't know  CONTACT/FIND US | Hawthorn Hideaway | Nottinghamshire

Interesting when people talk about facilities on an Airb&b boat, not the UK but Dick Strawbridge bought an old Springer and had the engine removed before making one for France Escape to the Chateau: Dick and Angel transform a 40-year-old barge (knowledia.com)