My family spent a weekend on a narrowboat - here's what happened

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

My family spent a weekend on a narrowboat - here's what happened | Worcester News

It’s not often that you have a real adventure.

But that was exactly how it felt when we set off from Worcester Marina on the narrowboat that would be our home for the next three nights.

‘Set off’ sounds sedate. In reality it was a baptism of fire as we took possession of the 25-tonne boat and attempted to navigate our first challenge – the sharp left hand turn out of the marina.

Staff had drawn us a picture of what was required – a neat three-point turn. I’d say we did it in nearer 10, seeing way more of the foliage on the opposite side of the canal than was strictly necessary.

But turn we did in the end – and that little triumph set the mood for the rest of our journey.

• Happy 1

30 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

My family spent a weekend on a narrowboat - here's what happened | Worcester News

It’s not often that you have a real adventure.

But that was exactly how it felt when we set off from Worcester Marina on the narrowboat that would be our home for the next three nights.

‘Set off’ sounds sedate. In reality it was a baptism of fire as we took possession of the 25-tonne boat and attempted to navigate our first challenge – the sharp left hand turn out of the marina.

Staff had drawn us a picture of what was required – a neat three-point turn. I’d say we did it in nearer 10, seeing way more of the foliage on the opposite side of the canal than was strictly necessary.

But turn we did in the end – and that little triumph set the mood for the rest of our journey.

I remember our first narrowboat hire holiday, and turning round was indeed one of the more challenging aspects of it. Thank goodness we needed to do it only once. That was in about 1995; how long ago was yours?

My first boat hire was in 84 I think? L & L for a week we loved it  it was a friends brothers hire boat and although old it was in good condition  we went from leeds ish to skipton and back I never forgot it and always wanted to live on a boat afterwards. 

15 minutes ago, Athy said:

I remember our first narrowboat hire holiday, and turning round was indeed one of the more challenging aspects of it. Thank goodness we needed to do it only once. That was in about 1995; how long ago was yours?

It is NOT 'my family' but an article in the newspaper.

My first 'leisure' canal / river outing would be around 1980, but prior to that my Father was a 'Rivers Inspector' for the Trent River Authority (and later 'Recreational Officer' for all the waters within the TRA boundaries, and worked with closely with BWB as they shared premises at Meadow Lane in Nottingham). I often accompanied him in a boat taking water samples from various rivers and canals.

• Greenie 2

23 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It is NOT 'my family' but an article in the newspaper.

There must have been some subtle reasoning behind your posting it, but it eludes me!

Ah, O.K., that wasn't clear. I saw the article but thought that it was about you and your family.

40 minutes ago, BD3Bill said:

Staff had drawn us a picture of what was required

Quality! Hopefully they drew them a picture of how to work a lock too  ? 

I suspect that the family in question hired from Lowesmoor Wharf in Worcester and you can't physically turn right, towards Diglis, out of there, you actually have to turn left and then wind in the winding hole almost but not quite opposite the entrance. From experience it can be quite awkward; we did it a few times.

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You appear to have added this into my post and then quoted it.

I did not say this.

Which "this" was this? No, I did not add anything to your post.

If you head the article "MY FAMILY.....", the reader may be excused for thinking that it was about your family.

But there must have been a reason behind your posting an article about someone else's canal holiday. I've read it and can't see anything especially noteworthy in it.

4 minutes ago, Athy said:

Which "this" was this? No, I did not add anything to your post.

If you head the article "MY FAMILY.....", the reader may be excused for thinking that it was about your family.

But there must have been a reason behind your posting an article about someone else's canal holiday. I've read it and can't see anything especially noteworthy in it.

You apear to have inserted this "There must have been some subtle reasoning behind your posting it, but it eludes me!" into my post, and then quoted me as saying it.

I would have thought that having been on the forum for so many years and talked about my 40+ years on the canals and rivers that it would be obvious that someone (who looks to be about half my age) who is making their 1st trip (this year ?) is not me and my family.

In case you cannot see what you appear to have written :

Screenshot (708).png

Yes, I quoted your post and commented upon it.

As far as I can see, the article has no year date.

We are no closer to discovering why you quoted the article. It's a pleasant overview of a boating holiday, but surely it's preaching to the converted on this forum?

19 minutes ago, Athy said:

Yes, I quoted your post and commented upon it.

As far as I can see, the article has no year date.

We are no closer to discovering why you quoted the article. It's a pleasant overview of a boating holiday, but surely it's preaching to the converted on this forum?

At least it's not political, CRT bashing or designed purely to start an argument. Sometimes, just nice is good enough...

• Greenie 3

2 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

At least it's not political, CRT bashing or designed purely to start an argument. Sometimes, just nice is good enough...

Yes, it's good publicity for the inland waterways. Perhaps that's why Alan posted it - he doesn't appear to want to tell us.

48 minutes ago, Graham Davis said:

I suspect that the family in question hired from Lowesmoor Wharf in Worcester and you can't physically turn right, towards Diglis, out of there, you actually have to turn left and then wind in the winding hole almost but not quite opposite the entrance. From experience it can be quite awkward; we did it a few times.

If that is the case, and I don't remember it being so for our 54ft boat, then why the @@@@@@@ did the yard not do it for them and show them how. More turn round cost cutting I suspect.https://thunderboat.boards.net/threads/recent

• Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

If that is the case, and I don't remember it being so for our 54ft boat, then why the @@@@@@@ did the yard not do it for them and show them how. More turn round cost cutting I suspect.https://thunderboat.boards.net/threads/recent

That takes me to the TB topic list rather than a particular thread. Further clues?

Our first family narrowboat hire was in the early 90s. We hired from Gayton and went through Blisworth tunnel, where the plan was to turn just beyond the south portal. Cue much shouting, swearing and revving of the engine. My wife and one of our sons went to the bows so they could tell me how close to the bank I was. They panicked as we neared the foliage, and grabbed the pole which they used to try to stop me hitting the bank. Not surprisingly, this did little to stop our forward momentum. It did, however, have quite an effect on the bow window, which shattered as the pole was pushed backwards into the front cabin. It was an expensive lesson which, thankfully, I've learnt from (so far).

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Don't know, but we hired out of there 3 times, once with the first company that were there, once with Viking when they were independent and once when they became part of the ABC Group, and everytime we were asked which way we were going and if going down to the river how to do it, I suspect they didn't/don't do it for you because getting back to the yard would them be difficult as there is no foot access back into the yard from the canal. The junction bridge does not have a path and the towpath has no access either, so they would need to walk around the area and come back in the main gate off Lowesmoor (road).
(We used to live in Worcester so I do know the area well)

And your TB link doesn't link to anything other than a list of recent posts.

• Greenie 1

Its a contrast to two hire firms, where they took us along for some distance, one met us at the first lock to make sure we weren't about to cill her/ knew what we were doing. They travelled by van to get there. Surely its time well spent?  Basic knowledge could have been imparted and could avoid a boat being stuck or out of action for a while? 

4 minutes ago, Stroudwater1 said:

Its a contrast to two hire firms, where they took us along for some distance, one met us at the first lock to make sure we weren't about to cill her/ knew what we were doing. They travelled by van to get there. Surely its time well spent?  Basic knowledge could have been imparted and could avoid a boat being stuck or out of action for a while? 

Exactly as we used to do and if the hirer was still concerned or could still not drive the boat we would  go to one more lock.

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, Graham Davis said:

Not so - I managed it earlier this year, but it does take a few goes. We are 60ft.

BTW, our first hire was 1967

Edited by Mike Todd
add length and 1967

4 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You apear to have inserted this "There must have been some subtle reasoning behind your posting it, but it eludes me!" into my post, and then quoted me as saying it.

I would have thought that having been on the forum for so many years and talked about my 40+ years on the canals and rivers that it would be obvious that someone (who looks to be about half my age) who is making their 1st trip (this year ?) is not me and my family.

In case you cannot see what you appear to have written :

Screenshot (708).png

When I read the header I thought your Family, sons, daughters, grandkids whatever had been on your boat for a few days. Once I realised it was a news paper link all was clear. Likes seem to appear differently now on this forum. www.   etc.