IWA Photo Competition 2021

Heartland

Featured Posts

Last year there was some comments on the altered image presented for the competition. This years winner has what seems to be Clan Line passing, on a special train, over the the bridge across the Ouse in York with people waving fom a boat below. 

The photographer clearly had a great deal of luck with the composition and the chances of a left handed lady and a right handed lady waving from the boat moored below would seem slim. 

1 hour ago, Heartland said:

Last year there was some comments on the altered image presented for the competition. This years winner has what seems to be Clan Line passing, on a special train, over the the bridge across the Ouse in York with people waving fom a boat below. 

The photographer clearly had a great deal of luck with the composition and the chances of a left handed lady and a right handed lady waving from the boat moored below would seem slim. 

See the comment at the bottom on enhancements this year.

Edited by ditchcrawler

Merchant Navy Class 35018 British India Line (not Clan Line) has been doing trips from Carnforth to Scarborough since 29 July. Timings are published in advance, so it's more than possible for an enthusiast photographer to be in position to capture an image like this.

And congratulations to @Tim Lewis for once again being among the winners.

https://waterways.org.uk/about-us/news/2021-photography-competition-winners

Edited by David Mack
  • Greenie 1

Yes congratulations for Tim Lewis and his image

Regarding Merchant Navy Class crossing the bridge. Yes it is possible to capture the view of the locomotive crossing, my observation relates to the chance of finding the people waving, unless of course they were asked to. But then that is all part of the composition.

I remember on my one and only trip on President we were approaching the Severn Valley Railway's Falling Sands Viaduct, south of Kidderminster when a steam train appeared. Lots of whistling from the engine man and waving from the crew, hoping a steam boat might get a response from a steam train. But absolutely nothing!

• 1 year later...

The image in question has now appeared on the June page of the 2023 IWA Calendar, The larger images enables closer scrutiny. It does indeed show 35018 crossing the Ouse and apart from those waving from the narrowboat, the City Cruisers trip boat has people on the upper deck who seem unconcerned about the locomotive overhead. The wake of the trip boat indicates a move to pass under the bridge to the right (which is what the directional arrow indicates), although no bow wave is evident. This is an image that to me still has concerns that alterations were made to the original. 

7 hours ago, Heartland said:

The image in question has now appeared on the June page of the 2023 IWA Calendar, The larger images enables closer scrutiny. It does indeed show 35018 crossing the Ouse and apart from those waving from the narrowboat, the City Cruisers trip boat has people on the upper deck who seem unconcerned about the locomotive overhead. The wake of the trip boat indicates a move to pass under the bridge to the right (which is what the directional arrow indicates), although no bow wave is evident. This is an image that to me still has concerns that alterations were made to the original. 

Surly we proved that last year that entries to the IWA photo competition are heavily photoshopped (other makes available) When there was a photo of a boat on the South Stratford all the wrong way round.  

Edited by ditchcrawler
north to South and added link

One of the winners, though possibly 2022, was a photo of a Rochdale Canal milepost taken by my wife. Although she routinely adjusts contrast and does some cropping etc I would like to point out that the milepost really does exist, at the location shown, and facing in the direction shown 😀

I believe the Rochdale Canal entry deserved the prize as to this heritage bridge over the Ouse, as stated, I have my concerns as to alter an image to improve the composition and assist it to gain a prize.

The Photoshop tools are very useful to help restore damaged images, but they are good enough to add and remove aspects of the image.

With this winner perhaps somebody could explain what is not in the image and that is the directional sign on the central pillar that advises boats to pass on the right.

• 3 weeks later...

The photo in York looks fake to me.

At least some of the people on the trip boat would be standing up and looking at the train.  

Also the trip boats there go like the clappers and hammer moored narrowboats boats against the underwater concrete edge, much like the “Shroppie shelf”.  That narrowboat’s front mooring line is hanging loose so the boat would be all over the place, those people would have difficulty in standing up.  

I would therefore say that the trip boat has been inserted into the image at the very least, possibly the narrowboat as well?

7 minutes ago, john6767 said:

The photo in York looks fake to me.

I would therefore say that the trip boat has been inserted into the image at the very least, possibly the narrowboat as well?

2 points , look at the shadows and full sun the other side of the bridge. The steam engine/ bridge has been shot on a dull day, the other boats on a bright day with the sun at a different angle to the full sun behind the bridge.

The other clue is the wake which has been merged just above the narrowboats front end, and doesnt appear bouncing back off the bridge pier at the rear.

• Greenie 1

Just a first glance at that photo says there’s something glaringly not right with that cruiser. 

There’s an immediate feeling the cruiser’s colours are too bright in relation to the rest of the image and the outline of the stern simply looks cut out. 

Then as others have said, there are details which don’t add up. 

And has the train broken down? I’d guess even train drivers when travelling and know the train will follow the tracks will still tend to look forward as they drive and concentrate on what they are doing. 

So has the train been pasted in?

Its a very odd photo. 
Good for propaganda mind. 

Edited by Goliath
Added an apostrophe to keep the police away. The rest of the bad grammar can stay.

River palace today attached

IMG_2133.jpeg

The picture of the Bridge attached 

city cruisers of York was purchased by the Hornblower group in 2019. Pre purchase it looks like their boats were painted red. The new cycle way over the Ouse is recent as well

IMG_2135.jpeg

Paint the hull fair enough maybe it needed ‘blacking’ but why change the colour of the stern hood from red to blue?

edit - they used to be red and white all over, looks like river palace in the photo is the real deal, maybe it’s just an old pic as the new cycle way isn’t on the pic?

https://www.cityexperiences.com/york/city-cruises/our-fleet/river-palace/

Edited by n-baj

30 minutes ago, n-baj said:

River palace today attached

IMG_2133.jpeg

The picture of the Bridge attached 

city cruisers of York was purchased by the Hornblower group in 2019. Pre purchase it looks like their boats were painted red. The new cycle way over the Ouse is recent as well

IMG_2135.jpeg

Paint the hull fair enough maybe it needed ‘blacking’ but why change the colour of the stern hood from red to blue?

This is from July 2018, the boats were red then

IMG_0443.thumb.jpeg.d3f96270050ec2a50b21255df6fb1afb.jpeg

On 26/06/2023 at 18:13, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

Weird waves, why stand on the back of a closed down boat and wave when your more than likely going to stand on the bank? No one else seams to be bothered or waving, even the engine crew. Looks a bit staged to try and get waves all round, which obviously didn’t work.

The slide is open a bit. I guess they were told to stand and wave, but the trip boat look to be full of water.

I think this is the unfortunate consequence of the cynical actions of the previous winner and the blindness of the judges in not noticing - or not caring - that the picture of the GU boats on the Stratford was not only doctored but not even done particualrly realistically. 

I genuinely think this picture represents reality.

A key point is that the train - possibly just the locomotive and it's support coach - is stationary on the bridge while shunting. That's why the crew are resting and may explain the cropping of the shot and also why it isn't quite as staged as it looks, there's only one moving component.

The green narrowboat is not photo-shopped judging by the reflections on the cabin side and note the disturbance in the water around it's bow and between the stern rails from the passing boat. Looking through the trip boat the pointing of the bridge pillars is visible through the glass, the shadowing at the front is also realistic as are other things visible through the windows and railings of the boat. I think there's too much visible in areas that would be difficult to show if it were a composite image. I also don't see anything obvious in the lighting that suggests it's fake.   

Edited by Captain Pegg

53 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

A key point is that the train - possibly just the locomotive and it's support coach - is stationary on the bridge while shunting. That's why the crew are resting and may explain the cropping of the shot and also why it isn't quite as staged as it looks, there's only one moving component.

Not necessarily shunting. The bridge is on the immediate approach to the junction at the north end of York Station, so the train could well be held at a red signal awaiting clearance to leave the Scarborough line and enter the main line.

54 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Not necessarily shunting. The bridge is on the immediate approach to the junction at the north end of York Station, so the train could well be held at a red signal awaiting clearance to leave the Scarborough line and enter the main line.

That's definitely up there with the least expected type of reply I've ever received on this forum 😀

To me this is a view looking upstream so York station is on the left i.e to the rear of the train. I think the train being stationary explains quite a lot although a quick check reveals there isn't an obvious signal at which it would be standing unless it's shunting the full length of the train (which is presumably the Scarborough Spa Express).

BTW I bought my first house not far out of shot of this picture and the office I worked in at the time isn't too far out of shot on the the other side. No prizes for guessing my employer.