Photos of your boat.

DHutch

Featured Posts

Hi there Peter

Thanks for your nice post, and Sold the house there's been many a time since may when I got this boat when I would have gladly got sold her for a song.

Its been hard the inside is now finished and really nice 2 just got to paint the top decks now when a bit warmer

The boat is 1940!!! it was made by bakdekker kruisier in Holland, this is what seems to be the favourite, but am trying to get some history, It was originally a bunker coastal barge??

Its 50ft by 10 foot weighing in at 17 tons with a 60hp Mercedes engine which although runs i need to source parts

I was well behind target and budget, due to that in the end, the whole boat was bottomed plated!! so the boat is now good as new. the inside looks great

Hopefully this year we hope to either transport the boat by road and cruise France

all Ive got to do is get my hospital checks up 6 monthly then we can get over there

thanks for keeping a eye out

regarding earlier post re bridge heights

PS Ive been up to fenny stratford bridge which is 8ft 4 air draft and the bridge 104 at stoke hamond 81 inches air draft

our boat measures at 7 ft 10!!!!

phew!!!

boat007.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

What a cracker..!

Although we love our traditional styled narrow boat, we also appreciate other styles of craft.

Good luck with your cruise in France, we have friends who live there and they adore the life style.

Mike

Edited by Doorman

Hi bigcol,

thanks for your information, you will have an easy time cruising her in France, as even on the smallest canals you'll have plenty of room left under the bridges, which will make cruising a lot les stressful if there are no worries that you'll loose or damage the wheelhouse.

By the way, it maybe because of bad translation of the original papers but what you wrote down as the builders is just the type of boat "BAKDEK-KRUISER" which was a popular type of boat in the past, and they are comming up again but this time much wider then they used to be in the past.

I think that she's a bit narrow, (not for what you're going to do with her) to have been a coastal bunkerbarge, but then again if she was built in 1940, during the war they would use anything that was available to do things with that wouldn't be done normally.

Only if you have the original registration numbers, you can have some hope of finding out about her history, as tracing back her respective owners over a 70 years period is practically impossible.

But independent of whatever her history has been, she's a very good looking boat now.

Have you got any idea yet where you're going to get her transported to in France to get her tasting the french waterways ?

Cheers,

Peter.

I cant quite work out what you are doing stood on the ice?

Tim

Hi Tim,

God no, that's not me, it's a photo of a friend who's a tree surgeon and decided to put his chain saw to use in freeing the boat from the encroaching 8 inch thick ice. You wouldn't catch me standing on an ice covered canal no matter how thick the ice was! :wacko:

Mike

Hi Tim,

God no, that's not me, it's a photo of a friend who's a tree surgeon and decided to put his chain saw to use in freeing the boat from the encroaching 8 inch thick ice. You wouldn't catch me standing on an ice covered canal no matter how thick the ice was! :wacko:

Mike

;) Glad to hear that. I thought it looked like he was cutting the ice.

Hi there Peter

Thanks for your nice post, and Sold the house there's been many a time since may when I got this boat when I would have gladly got sold her for a song.

Its been hard the inside is now finished and really nice 2 just got to paint the top decks now when a bit warmer

The boat is 1940!!! it was made by bakdekker kruisier in Holland, this is what seems to be the favourite, but am trying to get some history, It was originally a bunker coastal barge??

Its 50ft by 10 foot weighing in at 17 tons with a 60hp Mercedes engine which although runs i need to source parts

I was well behind target and budget, due to that in the end, the whole boat was bottomed plated!! so the boat is now good as new. the inside looks great

Hopefully this year we hope to either transport the boat by road and cruise France

all Ive got to do is get my hospital checks up 6 monthly then we can get over there

thanks for keeping a eye out

regarding earlier post re bridge heights

PS Ive been up to fenny stratford bridge which is 8ft 4 air draft and the bridge 104 at stoke hamond 81 inches air draft

our boat measures at 7 ft 10!!!!

phew!!!

There are so many of those Dutch steel boats that have ugly superstructures but yours fall nicely on the eye, she's a stunner and As I said previously Val would love something a little wider but i did feel confident building a widebeam first time around. Keep up the good work.

I cant quite work out what you are doing stood on the ice?

Tim

Tempting providence!!!!!!

There are so many of those Dutch steel boats that have ugly superstructures...

And narrow boats have elegant superstructures? :unsure: Most just have straight sides with a degree of tumblehome. I think there are many more ugly NBs than Dutch style barges.

I guess beauty (and ugliness) is in the eye of the beholder.

Edited by blackrose

And narrow boats have elegant superstructures? :unsure: Most just have straight sides with a degree of tumblehome. I think there are many more ugly NBs than Dutch style barges.

I guess beauty (and ugliness) is in the eye of the beholder.

Yes I have to agree about the british built boats both narrow and widebeam all are mostly dull,but they are not the subject here and have no relevance but the op,s is a genuine Dutch barge, [as in built in Holland]and normally converted from working boats and it is those to which I was reffering. you have your wires crossed. I'm putting a timber top on mine ato facilitate recessed panels and other details that I can better achieve in timber.

Edited by soldthehouse

• 2 weeks later...

Yes I have to agree about the british built boats both narrow and widebeam all are mostly dull,but they are not the subject here and have no relevance but the op,s is a genuine Dutch barge, [as in built in Holland]and normally converted from working boats and it is those to which I was reffering. you have your wires crossed. I'm putting a timber top on mine ato facilitate recessed panels and other details that I can better achieve in timber.

It's you, not me who has your wires crossed. The subject of this thread is "Photos of your boat" and the Original Poster (Daniel) has a British built (barge style) steam driven narrow boat.

Your comments may have been in reply to a different post, but my comments were in response to yours. In general I don't think the superstructures of converted Dutch steel boats are any uglier than the superstructures of narrowboats or narrowboat style widebeams. It's a comparison that seems perfectly relevant to me.

Edited by blackrose