Jump to content

Newspaper article 'Living on a London houseboat isn't all it's cracked up to be - there's far too much sewage involved'


Featured Posts

With summer on the horizon there's a new plague facing the thousands of people living on London's canals.

An endless stream of sycophantic articles 'explaining' just how fantastic and cheap living on a houseboat is.

Except they're usually written from the safety of a warm, dry, non-floating office. Crucially, they're always near a mains plug and flushing toilet.

They paint the picture that living on a boat is a cheap and fun way to live in London.

An easy-living 'hack' where you can get a front-row seat to a beautiful treasure of London's industrial past.

And they couldn't be further from the truth.

 

https://www.mylondon.news/news/zone-1-news/living-london-houseboat-no-paradise-20418341?fbclid=IwAR1WkqhYdFsb2FzWiCWUS6S8HFZdYt8syr1__BbcnVwPO8qL01MEOC3uZUI

 

 

 

Edited by nbfiresprite
  • Greenie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • nbfiresprite changed the title to Newspaper article 'Living on a London houseboat isn't all it's cracked up to be - there's far too much sewage involved'
1 hour ago, nbfiresprite said:

With summer on the horizon there's a new plague facing the thousands of people living on London's canals.

An endless stream of sycophantic articles 'explaining' just how fantastic and cheap living on a houseboat is.

Except they're usually written from the safety of a warm, dry, non-floating office. Crucially, they're always near a mains plug and flushing toilet.

They paint the picture that living on a boat is a cheap and fun way to live in London.

An easy-living 'hack' where you can get a front-row seat to a beautiful treasure of London's industrial past.

And they couldn't be further from the truth.

 

https://www.mylondon.news/news/zone-1-news/living-london-houseboat-no-paradise-20418341?fbclid=IwAR1WkqhYdFsb2FzWiCWUS6S8HFZdYt8syr1__BbcnVwPO8qL01MEOC3uZUI

 

 

 

Equally one-sided, if from the opposite side!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

Equally one-sided, if from the opposite side!

But somewhere in the middle lies the truth!

As more people seem to want to live on a boat,or buy one for a staycation,used boat prices have risen.Just when I was thinking of buying a newer boat.

I could I suppose,take a gamble and sell my boat while prices are strong,and wait until winter before looking for another,as I am guessing that used boat prices may come down when new boaters find that boating is not all it's cracked up to be and want to sell up.

Well,I can hope.  ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The more articles like this that there are the better.  Perhaps it will dissuade a few potential "livie in London Cheaply" people.

 

N

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

But somewhere in the middle lies the truth!

As more people seem to want to live on a boat,or buy one for a staycation,used boat prices have risen.Just when I was thinking of buying a newer boat.

I could I suppose,take a gamble and sell my boat while prices are strong,and wait until winter before looking for another,as I am guessing that used boat prices may come down when new boaters find that boating is not all it's cracked up to be and want to sell up.

Well,I can hope.  ?

 

I’ve a feeling in about 18months or whenever hols abroad open up properly there’ll be a glut of boats on the market, but they will be a mix of half-arsed abandoned projects from DIY enthusiasts who didn’t realise what was involved and overpriced perfectly good boats that have been live-laugh-loved to within an inch of their life :D 

  • Greenie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

When I was young and adaptable I lived in various rented places, but the final straw was one that had a lovely walled garden but no means of heating, there was a fireplace but the fumes exhausted in to the flat above, so neighbours were not keen on the fire.

I bought a new house, the mortgage was half the cost of the rented place, but it was pretty basic, a fireplace, one cheapo kitchen worktop, and that was it, the Baxi fire did not work either , so I installed a gas fire and an immersion element, to make sure I could still have a bath every week, whether I needed it or not.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Theo said:

The more articles like this that there are the better.  Perhaps it will dissuade a few potential "livie in London Cheaply" people.

 

N

But it is a delicate balance. If everyone is put off using the canals (or just too many) then they will simply be abandoned for navigation by a future government wanting to say money, for other priorities. Of course, some would say that we just need more of the 'right' boaters. On the other hand, non-moving boats do not add to the maintenance budget like others f us might do but still pay the same licence so ought to be welcomed, as long as a way is found for long lines of moored boats to be avoided.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

But it is a delicate balance. If everyone is put off using the canals (or just too many) then they will simply be abandoned for navigation by a future government wanting to say money, for other priorities. Of course, some would say that we just need more of the 'right' boaters. On the other hand, non-moving boats do not add to the maintenance budget like others f us might do but still pay the same licence so ought to be welcomed, as long as a way is found for long lines of moored boats to be avoided.

Providing they are moored close to a water point and elsan/pumpout station, otherwise they need a canal they can cruise on to get there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 23/04/2021 at 09:49, Mike Todd said:

But it is a delicate balance. If everyone is put off using the canals (or just too many) then they will simply be abandoned for navigation by a future government wanting to say money, for other priorities. Of course, some would say that we just need more of the 'right' boaters. On the other hand, non-moving boats do not add to the maintenance budget like others f us might do but still pay the same licence so ought to be welcomed, as long as a way is found for long lines of moored boats to be avoided.

The distance between your scenario and where we are is vast! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 22/04/2021 at 17:57, LadyG said:

When I was young and adaptable I lived in various rented places, but the final straw was one that had a lovely walled garden but no means of heating, there was a fireplace but the fumes exhausted in to the flat above, so neighbours were not keen on the fire.

I bought a new house, the mortgage was half the cost of the rented place, but it was pretty basic, a fireplace, one cheapo kitchen worktop, and that was it, the Baxi fire did not work either , so I installed a gas fire and an immersion element, to make sure I could still have a bath every week, whether I needed it or not.

 

.......................   and your point is?   :unsure:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

 

.......................   and your point is?   :unsure:

 

Her point being that in the old days she didn't always moan about being 'done-over'.

She gives an example, in that having bought a new house, when the Baxi didn't work, she didn't get the builder back in, or refuse to pay him, she just kept quiet and installed a gas fire.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.