Stop dumping ash!

Maffi

Featured Posts

42 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

That would be no good, all the moored boats would foul the towing line

I have had that problem in both Blisworth, Wasthill and Netherton tunnels

Your Blisworth one wasn't in June 2014 was it? We managed to dodge a very slow boat there. When I saw him casting off at Stoke Bruerne I rapidly dropped everything and set off to make sure I got to tunnel before him (I'd spent an hour behind him coming up to Stoke Bruerne). I seem to recall it took him 1½ hours to get through Blisworth Tunnel (1.75 miles, do the maths!) and when he emerged at Blisworth the 6 boats behind him were seething.

2 hours ago, Thomas C King said:

It's your responsibility to abide by the rules, not to apply or enforce them.

Could somebody point me to where it says "tickover" in the rulesa please.   I have just wandered through the boater's handbook and tickover isn't mentioned.   It does say "slow down passing boats".

2 hours ago, Athy said:

Yes, same here. There have been occasions when we've been following another boat and, despite being at minimum tickover, have to keep going into neutral to avoid ramming them up the backside.

There is slow due to comfort  and capability  of the boat  and there is deliberately going  very slow to cause a  nuisance to a following boat. One  boat  last year was deliberately going slower than a constipated sloth  with stone up its bum (almost going backwards) .

28 minutes ago, MartynG said:

There is slow due to comfort  and capability  of the boat  and there is deliberately going  very slow to cause a  nuisance to a following boat. One  boat  last year was deliberately going slower than a constipated sloth  with stone up its bum (almost going backwards) .

We had that on the T&M at Fishpond Lock, turned up and fifth in the queue.. Turned out the boat at the front had a barnie with the second boat because he dared to criticise them  being moored on the waterpoint at Wheelock so was on a go slow.

37 minutes ago, MartynG said:

The one I followed  out of  Llangollen over the Pontywotsit last year was stopping dead at every bridge while the guy on the front lined the bows up with the bargepole. Every time he saw a boat coming towards him, he stopped again, lost steering obviously, and hit most of them as well as a few moored up. When we got to a bit that was wide and clear after the bridge, I got right up his rudder and thrashed past after we got through without asking.

1 hour ago, Arthur Marshall said:

The one I followed  out of  Llangollen over the Pontywotsit last year was stopping dead at every bridge while the guy on the front lined the bows up with the bargepole. Every time he saw a boat coming towards him, he stopped again, lost steering obviously, and hit most of them as well as a few moored up. When we got to a bit that was wide and clear after the bridge, I got right up his rudder and thrashed past after we got through without asking.

That sounds like inexperience

Not the same as deliberately going slow and   not moving over to let a faster boat pass  .

1 hour ago, MartynG said:

That sounds like inexperience

Not the same as deliberately going slow and   not moving over to let a faster boat pass  .

Was a hire boat. They were going back to base, so had been on it presumably a week! Coming through the lift bridge he went straight into one of the permanent moored boats, no apology. Seemed sober, too. But as you say, not deliberate obstruction.  I've met a few of those too, there seem more of them about, but then there's more of everyone about.

I was unfortunate enough to come across @Maffiyears ago when I was moored at Wallingford on the Thames and he came under the bridge close to the moored boats without slowing down. I asked him to slow down and he told me to F### Off in front of children. I promised myself never to forget that as I knew our paths would cross one day. Unfortunately last summer I just missed him at Thrupp but I will catch up with him and he’ll be reminded of his a behaviour that day I can assure you! He should be accountable for his behaviour and he will be! 

• Greenie 1

13 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

That is what I'd had to do with the slow boat I refer to above going up towards Stoke Bruerne from the south. The trouble is that trying to pass on a canal without the co-operation of the boat to be passed often doesn't end well. As I began to pass him the 'bow wave' pushed his stern to starboard (and hence his bow started to swing to port) and then as I got past him the reverse happened as the 'bow wave' reached his bows and he ended up into the canal bank. Like I said, it wasn't that I was in any particular rush, I just didn't want to keep on putting the boat into drive and then back into neutral for the next hour (I'd already been behind him for an hour). I don't think he was being vindictive or anything like that, I just think he was unaware of just how much of a problem travelling that slow causes others. If he wants to go that slow, again I have no problem just as long as he waves faster boats past, sadly he completely ignored the fact that I was right up behind him before trying to overtake.

3 hours ago, Chris John said:

I was unfortunate enough to come across @Maffiyears ago when I was moored at Wallingford on the Thames and he came under the bridge close to the moored boats without slowing down. I asked him to slow down and he told me to F### Off in front of children. I promised myself never to forget that as I knew our paths would cross one day. Unfortunately last summer I just missed him at Thrupp but I will catch up with him and he’ll be reminded of his a behaviour that day I can assure you! He should be accountable for his behaviour and he will be! 

I don't know Maffi but I've been told to foook off many times during my lifetime. I don't carry the anger cos I know some people are  just arrogant or bullies or stupid. If you are going to make veiled threats on a public forum I think you need to chill or sell your boat cos you're going to end up "reminding" a lot of people.

• Greenie 5
  • Unimpressed 1

16 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Slow Down.....on the Lower Thames.....daft.

Yep, tis a river and has depth so boats dont bang about. I do however always pass moored boats on the ditch system at tickover, always have, always will.

8 hours ago, Chris John said:

So you are threatening me! You people are unbelievable. Why do you have to lie. If I come through the bridge at Wallingford I use the center arch. I would be so far away from boats on either side you wouldn't know I was there. There is more to life that you cuckoos popping you head out of the side door and barking orders at people. If you have a problem with my boating take down my Reg No and report me to CRT. Doing anything else is harassment. Go and bully someone else!

5 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Yep, tis a river and has depth so boats dont bang about. I do however always pass moored boats on the ditch system at tickover, always have, always will.

There is no requirement Tim the rule says slow down. If you drop your speed from 4 to 3mph you have complied with the rule. 1000 rpm on my boat is around about 1.3mph plenty slow enough.

• Greenie 2

2 minutes ago, Maffi said:

So you are threatening me! You people are unbelievable. Why do you have to lie. If I come through the bridge at Wallingford I use the center arch. I would be so far away from boats on either side you wouldn't know I was there. There is more to life that you cuckoos popping you head out of the side door and barking orders at people. If you have a problem with my boating take down my Reg No and report me to CRT. Doing anything else is harassment. Go and bully someone else!

Cough, Wallingford is EA?

Lovely coffee, almost felt like normal again for a few hours.

3 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Cough, Wallingford is EA?

Lovely coffee, almost felt like normal again for a few hours.

You are quite right, but I am a CRT registered vessel.

5 hours ago, Midnight said:

I don't know Maffi but I've been told to foook off many times during my lifetime. I don't carry the anger cos I know some people are  just arrogant or bullies or stupid. If you are going to make veiled threats on a public forum I think you need to chill or sell your boat cos you're going to end up "reminding" a lot of people.

I wouldn't tell you to foook off, you have a sweet dog!

22 hours ago, Jerra said:

Could somebody point me to where it says "tickover" in the rulesa please.   I have just wandered through the boater's handbook and tickover isn't mentioned.   It does say "slow down passing boats".

EXACTLY!

• Greenie 1

What is it with you people. This is a post about morons dumping ash!

Hijacked by morons who do not know the rules complaining about me "speeding" when it seem I do know the rules! AND ABIDE BY THEM.

I am half expecting the bloke who told me to speed up down near AYNHO to turn up any minute and join in the furore!

Can we have a Moderator close this thread down please?

• Haha 1

The reason I told @Maffito slow down was because anyone that knows Wallingford knows there is a camp site above the bridge and there was children in the river in a dingy and swimming. 
I do not have a problem with being told by anyone where to go but I do have a problem when it’s in front of my children! 

Seems to be a common theme with @Maffihere and his self entitlement on the waterways. Apparently it’s all us and @Maffiis never at fault 

• Unimpressed 1

On 20/03/2021 at 09:57, blackrose said:

I wonder what the old working boaters did with their ash?

(I don't really wonder, I'm sure they just chucked it in the cut).

Bit of a traditionalist dilemma.

I bet they didn't have nice uniformed briquettes. Probably had proper coal and proper ash. Suit able for a whole load of things.

9 minutes ago, Chris John said:

The reason I told @Maffito slow down was because anyone that knows Wallingford knows there is a camp site above the bridge and there was children in the river in a dingy and swimming. 
I do not have a problem with being told by anyone where to go but I do have a problem when it’s in front of my children! 

Seems to be a common theme with @Maffihere and his self entitlement on the waterways. Apparently it’s all us and @Maffiis never at fault 

So now you bring up kids in the river. Are you the only one who can drive a boat? Do you think I don't watch what is going on on the river? I am well aware where the places are that kids swim in the river. Wind ya neck in this is just BS & harassment!

Edited by Maffi
  • Unimpressed 1

15 minutes ago, Maffi said:

So now you bring up kids in the river. Are you the only one who can drive a boat? Do you think I don't watch what is going on on the river? I am well aware where the places are that kids swim in the river. Wind ya neck in this is just BS & harassment!

And the foul language in front of kids that you fail to mention?