Milton Keynes Marina Resumes Boat Hire

Parahandy

Featured Posts

If Cressida Dick had made that remark then should would not have had to resign - she would - quite rightly - have been dismissed with indignity. 

If you had wanted to make the remark, referring to the over-representation of certain ethnic groups in stop and search stats as well as crime ones - assuming you have the data to back it up - then it is perfectly possible to do so in a non-racist way.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

In my 65 years I have never been restrained nor indeed beaten up by police. I have always found them polite as I am to them. I did get pulled and breathalysed after leaving my pub on the way home once a few years ago in Chipping Norton and the two of them were very polite and carried out the breath test in a cordial manner. I do wonder why some law abiding people seem to need restraining and beating up.

My friends fathers were charged and batonned by Met Police on horseback at Orgreave.

3 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Their website seems in line with the guidance:

http://www.mkmarina.co.uk/Boat-Hire.aspx

From 8th March 2021 the day hire boats can operate for single house/bubble only.

From 29th March the day hire boats can operate with 6 pepole/2 households only.

From the 17th May - No COVID restrictions.

Our boats, Mary Jane & Meadowlark, have all the features of a semi-traditional narrowboat, including tiller steering, gallery, toilet compartment, and open outside deck.  In the gallery there is a sink, gas hob, and fridge.  Forward of the cabin is a covered open air deck which can be enclosed by side screens.

MJ4c.jpg

I don’t think that is what the law say, or will say when enacted.  I thought this is what it is

8 March is open day boats only for local single household (eg rowing boat on a park lake)

29 March day boats with cabins, local single household only

12 April, all hire boats for any single household, overnight allowed

17 May all hire boats for and 2 household or six people, overnight allowed

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Pretty much identical experience here, but the breathalyser was 3:00am after a Office Christmas Party taking home a car full of drunkards - never did get the footprints off the roof lining ! I had not touched a drop, and when I suggested they would be wasting a valuable breath-thing they said not to worry, I'd paid for it in my taxes anyway - all very polite.

I had exactly the same many Christmases back but he decided not to waste the breathalyser, I was the only male in the car

1 hour ago, Parahandy said:

You raised the Woke Race Topic Arthur , I simply answered you and explained the complexity of the problem facing the Police , I didn't expect it would be something you wanted to hear .

What annoys me is the attitude that, "because it hasn't happened to me, it doesn't happen".  Most interractions I've had with police (or, in fact  anyone) have been fine, especially as I grew older and my hair got shorter. And, no  P, you raised the issue, not me. I merely pointed out the error in a couple of people's positions.

And you, my son, aren't worth bothering with. As I said, keep it for the politics section so the rest of us can try and forget views like yours exist. And that's my last word on the matter.

And, back to the topic, cruises and overnight stays are perfectly legal after April 12th, which is good, cos I'm going on one. 

Edited by Arthur Marshall
Spellgni
  • Greenie 3
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, john6767 said:

I don’t think that is what the law say, or will say when enacted.

My quoted bit is from MK website, not the published guidance.

Day hire open boats are/were permitted by DEFRA guidance from 8th March, and while the intent may have been unpowered boats that's not what it actually says.  The pictured boat is (mostly) open, but I'll leave exact interpretation of that to others.

For some reason MK don't mention the "subject to navigation authority guidance" bit ...

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/refresh/media/thumbnail/43296-business-covid-roadmap-guidance.pdf

Just now, TheBiscuits said:

My quoted bit is from MK website, not the published guidance.

Day hire open boats are/were permitted by DEFRA guidance from 8th March, and while the intent may have been unpowered boats that's not what it actually says.  The pictured boat is (mostly) open, but I'll leave exact interpretation of that to others.

For some reason MK don't mention the "subject to navigation authority guidance" bit ...

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/refresh/media/thumbnail/43296-business-covid-roadmap-guidance.pdf

From 8 March I think they can be powered, but should not have a cabin.  Whilst rowing boats are the obvious ones, the little boats with outboards that they hire out at Stratford for example would be OK.  I don’t think a normal canal day boat with a cabin can be hired out until 29 March.

• Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

What annoys me is the attitude that, "because it hasn't happened to me, it doesn't happen".  Most interractions I've had with police (or, in fact  anyone) have been fine, especially as I grew older and my hair got shorter. And, no  P, you raised the issue, not me. I merely pointed out the error in a couple of people's positions.

And you, my son, aren't worth bothering with. As I said, keep it for the politics section so the rest of us can try and forget views like yours exist. And that's my last word on the matter.

And, back to the topic, cruises and overnight stays are perfectly legal after April 12th, which is good, cos I'm going on one. 

Good .

47 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

There is also the attitude "because it happened to me it happens to 'everyone'".

If you noticed, I specifically didn't say that, because it wouldn't be true. I also pointed out that I have had many happy interractions with helpful coppers, nearly as many as the opposite. I note you left that bit out of your quote, presumably in case it weakened your point.

Both extreme attitudes are, as usual with extremes, great for starting arguments but useless in finding solutions or explanations. Both are kneejerk reactions to accusations of unfairness and don't get anyone anywhere. It's the usual Venn diagram, where the truth is in the middle, but denied by both extremes as it doesn't tie up with their experience, and they refuse to admit anyone else's as it raises the possibility of being wrong, or at least uninformed. 

Bit like the guy, a vintage engine expert, who rebuilt my Lister and refused to believe it was leaking diesel into the oil when he'd finished because, apparently, it couldn't possibly happen. I showed him articles, reports. No, it wasn't happening so he wouldn't fix it. 

And my wife and I are still going cruising on 12 April, all being well.

• Greenie 1
  • Love 1

Just now, Farey said:

I'm confused. I took my boat for maintenance in November. Can I retrieve it and take it back to where I normally moor it, if it involves a 100 mile drive and 2 hours cruising?

If it has a cabin, then no. And if it has no cabin, then only yes if you can convince a policeman that a 100 mile journey is "staying local".

7 minutes ago, Farey said:

I'm confused. I took my boat for maintenance in November. Can I retrieve it and take it back to where I normally moor it, if it involves a 100 mile drive and 2 hours cruising?

What does your conscience say, I know what mine would say

47 minutes ago, Farey said:

The "stay at home" rule ends on 29 March, so you might as well wait till then and be legal. You can't stay on it overnight until 12 april. It's quite straightforward, really.

• Greenie 1