Fossdyke and Witham

MrsM

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, MrsM said:

8 page feature on the Fossdyke and Witham in April's Waterways World.

It must be written in a very large text size.

Even as a 'local' I admit that the Witham is the most 'boring waterway in the world' the high flood bank / flood defences mean you can see nothing, except for the top few feet of the telegraph poles, for mile after mile after mile, after mile.

At least one or two of the pubs are (were) worth visiting.

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It must be written in a very large text size.

Even as a 'local' I admit that the Witham is the most 'boring waterway in the world' the high flood bank / flood defences mean you can see nothing, except for the top few feet of the telegraph poles, for mile after mile after mile, after mile.

At least one or two of the pubs are (were) worth visiting.

Large pictures Alan ? It covers Torksey to the Wash. Not read it yet but will. 

• Love 1

I would recommend going to Lincoln from Torksey to break the Trent journey up,  but that’s as far as I would recommend. To Boston I wouldn’t bother, boringly mind numbing and to make it worse you keep thinking “I have to go back this way” total waste of diesel.

1 hour ago, PD1964 said:

I would recommend going to Lincoln from Torksey to break the Trent journey up,  but that’s as far as I would recommend. To Boston I wouldn’t bother, boringly mind numbing and to make it worse you keep thinking “I have to go back this way” total waste of diesel.

Completely disagree.   Been down that way 3 times and enjoyed it very much - even the Witham Navigable Drains accessed at Anton's Gowt.  One time with a very variable flow on the river which I eventually realised was dependent on the opening of the Grand Sluice, where I nearly came to grief.  Boring it was not.  But hey! a lot of people have been bored during lockdown, but not a minute's ennui here.

I have done it twice enjoyed it the first time but the second didn't as it was weeded to death! Fortunately it was a one way journey to move a boat to Sawley, 2 outdrives and one was always up having the weed cleaned of it nightmare!

• Horror 1

On 06/03/2021 at 00:34, Mac of Cygnet said:

Completely disagree.   Been down that way 3 times and enjoyed it very much - even the Witham Navigable Drains accessed at Anton's Gowt.  One time with a very variable flow on the river which I eventually realised was dependent on the opening of the Grand Sluice, where I nearly came to grief.  Boring it was not.  But hey! a lot of people have been bored during lockdown, but not a minute's ennui here.

The navigable drains must be one of the few places left on the system where you can have your own little adventure and go properly exploring. Unless you head into Boston there's a good chance you'll not see another person for days,  nevermind a boat. 

I'd put the canal from Thorne to Keadby higher up the boring tree than the Witham, at least there's places like Woodhall Spa a short walk away.  Somewhere between Thorne and Keadby there's apparently a bend in the cut, the guide book says so. There used to be the old wharf buildings at Crowle to look forward to but they got demolished as they were far too interesting. 

Of course you still have Medge Hall to look out for.. I haven't found it yet. 

• Greenie 2
  • Haha 1

I once tested my steering ability on the straight Witham by putting up the Sky TV satellite dish while we were moored in Boston, then travelling up to Anton's Gowt while the crew watched the TV. Never once did the picture drop out!

• Horror 1

5 hours ago, noddyboater said:

The navigable drains must be one of the few places left on the system where you can have your own little adventure and go properly exploring. Unless you head into Boston there's a good chance you'll not see another person for days,  nevermind a boat. 

I'd put the canal from Thorne to Keadby higher up the boring tree than the Witham, at least there's places like Woodhall Spa a short walk away.  Somewhere between Thorne and Keadby there's apparently a bend in the cut, the guide book says so. There used to be the old wharf buildings at Crowle to look forward to but they got demolished as they were far too interesting. 

Of course you still have Medge Hall to look out for.. I haven't found it yet. 

Medge Hall - moored there twice.  Very peaceful, and entertained by the level crossing keeper popping out to open & close the gates right next to the swing bridge.

Woodhall Spa is fascinating architecturally and culturally - have you been to the Kinema in the Woods?

2 hours ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

Medge Hall - moored there twice.  Very peaceful, and entertained by the level crossing keeper popping out to open & close the gates right next to the swing bridge.

Woodhall Spa is fascinating architecturally and culturally - have you been to the Kinema in the Woods?

When I used to moor in Sheffield I'd often give up trying to get to Keadby in a long day and stop at Medge Hall. By then I'd be literally falling asleep at the tiller which isn't the best idea.

I do remember finding the Kinema in the Woods but not going in. As I also can't remember calling somewhere for a pint it must have been funny timing,  like Monday afternoon. I do remember walking back to the boat with some extremely ripe Oxford Blue cheese from the village shop.

• 1 month later...

Considering exploring the witham drains sometime in the next 2 weeks. Wondered if anyone had any up to date info about conditions? Hoping weed growth won't be too bad but possibly water levels are fairly low with the lack of rain? 

On 06/03/2021 at 00:34, Mac of Cygnet said:

3 times for us too. First time in the mid 90s on a hire boat from Selby, down the Drains and up the Kyme Eau, although a long reverse back as couldn't get past South Kyme due to rising water levels.

Twice on this boat but water levels not good for repeating the side trips.

Boston never seemed as good as our first visit but a climb up the Stump is a must. Even if you need to get on your hands and knees at the top due to wind!

20170804_125720.jpg

On 05/03/2021 at 22:27, PD1964 said:

Yes it is a bit boring, but I enjoyed the trip to Boston, it is nice to get off the beaten track.  We took 3 days to get from Torksey to Boston, but we did just come straight back in a day!

On 29/04/2021 at 17:01, Mac of Cygnet said:

Anyone bored by the trip to Boston hasn't got eyes in their head.   Gems like this for example, and an alternative view of the town:

Cake & Offal.jpg

Boston Maud Foster.jpg

I'm keen to go down there but am I right there is only room for 1 boat? The River Witham seems surprisingly busy given how dead the Fossdyke and Trent were. Don't fancy having to turn and go all the way back!

1 hour ago, Dave123 said:

IThe River Witham seems surprisingly busy given how dead the Fossdyke and Trent were.

There's a whole empty pontoon opposite you :)

We just nabbed the last spot at Kirkstead Bridge.

MP.

3 hours ago, MoominPapa said:

There's a whole empty pontoon opposite you :)

We just nabbed the last spot at Kirkstead Bridge.

MP.

It is still empty actually, but when I got here was full and the boat in front of me had to move up to make space. After seeing no spaces in Bardney and only half a space at Southrey I briefly had visions of having to carry on all evening to Boston?. Got too used to empty pontoons everywhere on the Trent?

On 01/05/2021 at 15:30, Dave123 said:

It is still empty actually, but when I got here was full and the boat in front of me had to move up to make space. After seeing no spaces in Bardney and only half a space at Southrey I briefly had visions of having to carry on all evening to Boston?. Got too used to empty pontoons everywhere on the Trent?

If you get the chance to moor at Southrey the pub next to the moorings is very nice. We were parked there last night.

They do a cracking breakfast as well. We had one this morning. 

The couple who run it can't do enough for you. So friendly.