Is two pack blacking more resistant to ice rubbing?

eid

Featured Posts

I had my boat blacked a couple of years ago in September. The following January the canal froze for a couple of days and when I moved about the boat the ice must have rubbed at the paint, because by the summer it was showing signs of rust. What a waste of money that was.

My question: Is Two-pack paint more resistant to this?

Any other tips (apart from "don't move") would be much appreciated.

Edited by eid
gramma

9 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Yes, once it has fully hardened, but prolonged ice breaking will eventually remove it along the waterline.

Thanks Cuthound; that's good to know. I guess I'll get it done and then go south for the winter and hope for the best.

Do you (or anyone) have any recommendation about where to get it done?

Edited by eid

1 minute ago, eid said:

Thanks Cuthound; that's good to know. I guess I'll get it done and then go south for the winter and hope for the best.

I had my boat re-blacked last year (it has been epoxied from new) so the winter before I did a 4 hour ice breaking cruise to see how the epoxy coped as it was to be redone acfew months later. It was scuffed but not worn through after that.

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, cuthound said:

I had my boat re-blacked last year (it has been epoxied from new) so the winter before I did a 4 hour ice breaking cruise to see how the epoxy coped as it was to be redone acfew months later. It was scuffed but not worn through after that.

Where did you get it done? And do they do grit-blasting?

Edited by eid

9 minutes ago, eid said:

Where did you get it done? And do they do grit-blasting?

Norbury Wharf. Don't know if they do grit blasting as the boat has been epoxied from new, so only needed roughing up and the small damaged areas taking back to bare metal.

• Greenie 1

13 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Norbury Wharf. Don't know if they do grit blasting..

Yes, they do, thanks.

14 minutes ago, BEngo said:

Places I know do gritblasting and epoxy:?

P&S Marine, Watford

Debdale (zinc spraying  too)

Teddesley

N

Thanks, I'll look into these too. And zinc coating as I'm not sure what it is exactly.

1 minute ago, eid said:

Yes, they do, thanks.

Thanks, I'll look into these too. And zinc coating as I'm not sure what it is exactly.

Having taken the hull back to bare metal, Debdale spray a coating of molten zinc on, before putting the epoxy blacking on.

This effectively galvanises the hull, so if the epoxy coating is damaged, the zinc stops the steel from going rusty. They guarantee it for 10 years.

• Greenie 2

5 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Having taken the hull back to bare metal, Debdale spray a coating of molten zinc on, before putting the epoxy blacking on.

This effectively galvanises the hull, so if the epoxy coating is damaged, the zinc stops the steel from going rusty. They guarantee it for 10 years.

I was just reading about it on their site. I'm quite impressed by their facilities. This is their blasting-house:

Dust-Extraction.jpg.78f47a411959ec88e6111e9acfea0df5.jpg

Willy Wonka would feel at home! I'll get a quote for the zinc and two-pack.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, cuthound said:

Yes, once it has fully hardened, but prolonged ice breaking will eventually remove it along the waterline.

Prolonged ice breaking will even remove the rivet heads from an iron hull, followed by bilge pump running every half an hour. Followed by boat sinking when the power fails ?

14 hours ago, IanD said:

Prolonged ice breaking will even remove the rivet heads from an iron hull, followed by bilge pump running every half an hour. Followed by boat sinking when the power fails ?

That was very specific. Did this actually happen to you?

3 hours ago, eid said:

That was very specific. Did this actually happen to you?

It happened to friends (Kate and Snowy) after we'd spent a frozen Christmas (1986?) with them up at Cosgrove. We were breaking ice all the way back (they were moored at Broxbourne on the River Lee), the boat (Baron) was in a boatyard afterwards to fix it who failed to keep the bilge pump going, it sank in deep water with all their possessions on board ?

• Horror 2

17 hours ago, gabble said:

Having used Aqueduct this year for 2 pack I’d avoid next time to be honest.

Sad to hear that. We had ours done at Aqueduct in 2012 and very pleased with it. But they are at the top of the price range so anything other than “exemplary” isn’t good enough!

Edited by nicknorman

I received a quote from one boatyard who said they needed the boat for 3-4 weeks. Does it normally take this long?

16 hours ago, jonesthenuke said:

Limekiln at Stourport do blasting and 2 pack.

Having seen how tough the resulting coat is, it would be much more resistant to ice, but I guess it will damage it eventually.

19 hours ago, gabble said:

Having used Aqueduct this year for 2 pack I’d avoid next time to be honest.

Thanks for the suggestions.

1 hour ago, eid said:

Thanks. I thought perhaps leaving it to dry for weeks was beneficial. I guess they just have staff shortages, or something.

Unlike bitumen, it doesn’t really dry, it cures. Usually it needs to stay out of the water for a couple of days (depending on the temperature and the exact product) after which it will seem hard, but it will continue to fully cure (underwater) for the next few weeks. Which is another way of saying try not to bash it too much until a couple of weeks have elapsed!

• Greenie 1

8 hours ago, nicknorman said:

Sad to hear that. We had ours done at Aqueduct in 2012 and very pleased with it. But they are at the top of the price range so anything other than “exemplary” isn’t good enough!

I can’t complain re pricing as it was 100% as quoted, but they were really hard work to deal with, lots of chasing required. I was left feeling not at all valued as a customer. Too early to tell on quality of work, but fingers crossed. A shame really because they were on my list to talk to re topside painting but now aren’t.