517878 Amethyst

jamesinyk

Featured Posts

28 minutes ago, Rickent said:

How can you possibly say what happened,  did you witness this? No of course you didn't,  so you are saying it's fine to ram somebody from behind in order to get to a lock with four boats waiting first.

And the last statement is disgraceful. 

I am saying that his statement is inconsistent with itself and therefore cannot be an accurate representation of what happened. And I strongly suspect he wasn’t “rammed”, that was just emotive language to get sympathy and carries the same likelihood of accuracy as the rest of the story.

27 minutes ago, jamesinyk said:

And there we have it, resorting to personal abuse within 4 pages. Well done, you get the prize. ?

What a community this is! 

What is the prize? (Hint, I do like gin),

31 minutes ago, Jerra said:

You mean when you cruise you don't have an idea of how many boats are in front of you based on such things as how many passed when you were tied up, glimpses of different colour at bends comments from boats going the other way etc.  I certainly do.

You have no idea of how many boats are queuing at a lock a mile or so ahead. Yes some boats may have passed you when moored but you don’t know if they moored before the lock. Other boats may have pulled out in front of you unseen, Yes, and it frequently happens, a boat coming the other way might say “oooh there are 4 boats queuing at the next lock” but by the time you get there, some boats will have gone through, others might have arrived, so it could be anything from zero to 10 or more boats. You have no idea. Well maybe a slight idea as you suggest, but nothing concrete.

37 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

2 hours ago,  jamesinyk said: 

We’ll help if is needed but also respect others who wish to do it themselves. It’s not a race to see how quickly we can get all the boats through. 

“Oooh mustn’t rush”... “it’s not a race”... this sort of attitude really pisses me off. You do not get to decide about whether other people have an agenda / need to get somewhere at a specific time. You have no idea about other people’s issues, and nor do you care it seems. You do not get to decide how fast everyone else must go at. Or if you do, you are likely to get rammed. The only pity is that it wasn’t harder. If you want to enjoy a peaceful time on the canals you need to learn that it is not all about you.

This is classic NN in rant mode.  He didn't say "you have to go slow".  All he said was "it is not a race".  It is not a race.  I like to go quickly but it is not the be all and end all.  We don't expect all taking part to be competetive and raring to go.  This indignation is willful misreading of the normal ambiguities of typing on the 'net.  What is important is that everybody stays calm and avoids losing control of not the boat but themselves.

It is a race if you are on the BCN challenge. And if I choose to make it a race that is my business, it is not up to someone else to force me to go slowly by refusing to let a faster boat pass. Anyway, it seems you are racist and I don’t think that is allowed any more.

welcome to the forum.

I understand you have reason to feel upset at the boater's behaviour but its difficult to know what happened without enough evidence. I am not calling you a lier just that for many people, the default position is that of scepticism unless sufficient data available. 

And its unfair to post somebody's picture like this publicly, the guy has no way to respond. A lot of people take accusation at face value(only a minority of people are sceptical, only if they know about subject). Next time imagine somebody takes your picture and accuses you of something. Please take it down.

• Greenie 1

I don’t know how experienced the OP is and of course it can be flawed thinking to presume that a hire boater is inexperienced,  but it seems odd that I have been boating for about 55 years now and I have never been rammed up the back end (no tittering at the back) whereas the OP with (I am guessing) minimal experience, has. Could that be because if a boat comes up behind us, my first priority is to let it pass? 

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, jamesinyk said:

New Marton lock 2, Llangollen, climbing. Boat had followed us (closely) from bridge 6. He hit us at the red marker point. 

5BE7DD3A-0595-42EB-A3A5-28E8B0C5EFE2.jpeg

6W to New Marton bottom lock is about 1.6 miles, so say 1.5 to the collision point.  Even at a normal cruising speed that means he was close behind for about 30 minutes.  At a slow speed it might have been nearer 60 minutes.  Difficult to see how it was not possible to let him pass you in that time...

6 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

I don’t know how experienced the OP is and of course it can be flawed thinking to presume that a hire boater is inexperienced,  but it seems odd that I have been boating for about 55 years now and I have never been rammed up the back end (no tittering at the back) whereas the OP with (I am guessing) minimal experience, has. Could that be because if a boat comes up behind us, my first priority is to let it pass? 

No it's because you have over taken all of the other boats ;)

15 minutes ago, restlessnomad said:

welcome to the forum.

I understand you have reason to feel upset at the boater's behaviour but its difficult to know what happened without enough evidence. I am not calling you a lier just that for many people, the default position is that of scepticism unless sufficient data available. 

And its unfair to post somebody's picture like this publicly, the guy has no way to respond. A lot of people take accusation at face value(only a minority of people are sceptical, only if they know about subject). Next time imagine somebody takes your picture and accuses you of something. Please take it down.

He won't be able to remove it now as his 'edit' time will have passed.

Only a moderator will be able to edit the post.

17 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

No it's because you have over taken all of the other boats ;)

Haha yes, could be! But no I would say we pass as often as we are passed. Our boat is pretty deep drafted and on a shallow canal we go quite slow. No other choice! A shallow drafted boat will be able to go much faster than us, and so of course we would let it pass as soon as possible. Anyway, remind me who has the record for speeding on here...??

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, jamesinyk said:

Exactly. 

Since you knew he was behind you for some time, perhaps you could explain why you didn't pull in and let him pass you?

Not at all, I didn’t see the point of arriving in a queue of 4 any sooner than necessary. 

So you were being selfish.

We’ll help if is needed but also respect others who wish to do it themselves. It’s not a race to see how quickly we can get all the boats through. 

You don't appear to shown the person behind you any respect.

2 hours ago, jamesinyk said:

Pulled over into a line of moored boats?

Yes, not difficult to do, especially along that length.

I am rater surprised that at least one of the longer time time members seems not to know that when two boats pass close to each other they tend to get drawn together by hydraulic forces. I do not expect a hire boater to know even though many have years of experience, those will know. Based on the few "facts" we have been given i suspect this ramming was a combination of the OP not giving the passing boat enough room thereby forcing him to pass closer than perhaps he would like plus the two boats being drawn together. Probably more like a glancing blow. Of course the opposite could be the case where the OP did give Mr Amethyst enough room but MR Amethyst past too close, too fast and lost a degree of control

3 minutes ago, Athy said:

I live in England. Is social distancing not required in Wales? I don't know.

You said that groups of unrelated people were banned nothing about social distancing.

In Wales you can gather in groups of up to 30 'unrelated people'. (that's quite a few to have milling around a lock)

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You said that groups of unrelated people were banned nothing about social distancing.

No, I didn't say that.

Social distancing is to prevent groups of unrelated people gathering in close proximity, and yes, I did mention it.

Apart from that, I entirely agree with you.

6 minutes ago, Athy said:

No, I didn't say that.

The OP said "Incidentally, groups of unrelated people gathering together is frowned upon right now."

To Which Graham relied :

58 minutes ago, Graham Davis said:

Wrong!

And to which you responded :

30 minutes ago, Athy said:

No, right, according to the government's "social distancing" guidelines.

It appears that neither the OP or yourself realised that he was in Wales and the laws are different here.

18 minutes ago, Athy said:

I live in England. Is social distancing not required in Wales? I don't know.

It would really be better not to make comments if you (to use your own words) "don't know"

Edited by Alan de Enfield

10 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

...  It appears that neither the OP or yourself realised that he was in Wales and the laws are different here.

It would really be better not to make comments if you (to use your own words) "don't know"

But the OP was talking about people meeting around New Marton locks - which are in England.

It would really be better not to make comments if you ... "don't know" geography! ?

• Haha 1