Continued Cruising and the 28 day rule?

gemmaze

Featured Posts

19 minutes ago, WotEver said:

The last word of that quote is highly relevant. The government’s own ruling states that to be a Bargee Traveller they must be “engaged in a trade or business of such a nature that requires them to travel from place to place.

Just joining the NBTA, calling yourself a Bargee Traveller and then sitting on a mooring does not qualify you for that status. And that’s what was being referred to earlier in the thread. 

Nothing racist, no ethnic slurs, simply an observation about a lifestyle incompatible with the law. 

Good grief talk about making the nonense up to fit your own excuses.

No one made an observation they made a hateful derogatory attack based upon thin air and anger typical of most racists, there is a big difference between the two.

At no point have I said I have any need or desire to join the NBTA or sit on a mooring but you and other members seem to need them to be dragged kicking and screaming into your childish petty jibs.

You are clearly ignorant of the law and have researched only that of which suits your own perspective.

There are plenty of boaters who are not Bargee Travellers who sit on moorings throughout winter without planning permission and there are plenty who sit on leisure moorings without residential planning all year round who are not Bargee Travellers or NBTA members up and down the cut , now they would be the people who are incompatible with the law as they are indulging themselves not their ethnicity.

A Traveller does not need to travel in the sense you perscribe to be an authentic Traveller something that is very well covered and tested in the law.

• Greenie 1
  • Angry 2

2 minutes ago, gemmaze said:

A Traveller does not need to travel in the sense you perscribe to be an authentic Traveller

Au contrair. A Bargee Traveller must travel in order to qualify for the title. 

• Greenie 1

17 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Seeing as how the original question has been answered (civilly, too) several times, and as

it appears thas it isn't the answer the OP wanted he's introduced a discussion of racism into the thread, can I respectfully suggest the whole damn thing gets moved to the politics section, where the lefties, righties, Brexiteers and racists can all fight it out happily and the rest of us can ignore this nonsense?

Your suggestion does have appeal but, as several members are actively involved in the discussion, I think it would be unfair and discourteous to muzzle them. As it's not really a political topic, I think it has to stay where it is.

But in that way, at least you'll know which title to avoid!

4 hours ago, restlessnomad said:

everything I ever say on this forum is my opinion...

I dont know why people feel the need to add IMHO in every other post... feels redundant to me.. 

You never quote other peoples' opinions?

You never quote facts?

You never ask questions?

You never make a joke?

I could go on...

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

And on me guvner, I'm all upset and feel bullied now and scared to type anymore. Will the human rights act come to my aid ?

I’ll join you. If there are three of us then we could call ourselves a downtrodden minority. 

• Happy 1

4 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

This is an interesting point, and I sometimes add IMHO to my posts.

Sometimes it helps clarify though that you are not claiming something as 'fact'. (IMHO). ?

It's a bit of a side issue here, but as I understand it the "H" stands for humble, whereas IMHO is most commonly used by those who are the most self-righteous of person - the exact opposite.

Tam

1 minute ago, Tam & Di said:

It's a bit of a side issue here, but as I understand it the "H" stands for humble, whereas IMHO is most commonly used by those who are the most self-righteous of person - the exact opposite.

Tam

can also stand for Honest, honest ;)

In My Honest Opinion

In My Humble Opinion

think Humble was the original version though

The OP several times uses the term Bargee Travellers and talks of their ethnicity, but I wonder how many people who can legitimately be referred to as Travellers (with a capital T) actually live on boats in reality. I suspect it is an extremely small number.

Maybe if NBTA members continue their lifestyle for a few generations and with their children always only inter-marrying, then perhaps the word will become applicable. At the moment it is merely self-assigned, and were I a Traveller I'd probably not want to have much to do with them.

Tam

• Greenie 4

1 hour ago, doratheexplorer said:

You never quote other peoples' opinions?

You never quote facts?

You never ask questions?

You never make a joke?

I could go on...

ah, you are right ... I mean technically because that was not the point of the discussion :)

I believe the main point of contention was whether I have facts in my posts and I am saying it will be opinion unless explicitly stated(with some cross reference). I find qualifying every assertion as IMHO a bit tedious.

(Joke and question are not something we are talking about here in this context, unless I understood you wrong in your original quote)

I have a terrible feeling that you mean to say 'I disagree with your opinion' in your original reply, in which case I have not much to say, its good to have different opinion.

There is a school of belief that 'facts' have superior value compared to 'opinion', which I don't subscribe to. I am interested in opinions too(primarily on a forum), that's what makes discussion interesting. I am interested in human emotions, ideas, reasons(right or wrong does not matter). 

Edited by restlessnomad

50 minutes ago, Tam & Di said:

Tam

Surely those people use IMNSHO

in my not so humble opinion ;)

30 minutes ago, restlessnomad said:

There is a school of belief that 'facts' have superior value compared to 'opinion', which I don't subscribe to. I am interested in opinions too(primarily on a forum), that's what makes discussion interesting. I am interested in human emotions, ideas, reasons(right or wrong does not matter). 

The world is flat and held up by a man stood on the back of a turtle. 

Just now, Athy said:

Ah, as I suspected, so he was standing.

From memory he wasn't wearing an 'at either.

Nope. And one elderly lady who was asked “And what is the turtle stood on?” replied “Why, it’s turtles all the way down of course.”

7 minutes ago, WotEver said:

The world is flat and held up by a man stood on the back of a turtle. 

very interesting, tell us more... ?

1 minute ago, WotEver said:

Nope. And one elderly lady who was asked “And what is the turtle stood on?” replied “Why, it’s turtles all the way down of course.”

heard it somewhere, may be one of those Dawkins videos... 

think I should worship that lady... :)

1 hour ago, Tam & Di said:

The OP several times uses the term Bargee Travellers and talks of their ethnicity, but I wonder how many people who can legitimately be referred to as Travellers (with a capital T) actually live on boats in reality. I suspect it is an extremely small number.

Maybe if NBTA members continue their lifestyle for a few generations and with their children always only inter-marrying, then perhaps the word will become applicable. At the moment it is merely self-assigned, and were I a Traveller I'd probably not want to have much to do with them.

Tam

I reckon the NBTA purposely chose the word "Travellers" in their title knowing it's connotations.