Jump to content

Watch out on those Rivers


matty40s
 Share

Featured Posts

Was due to depart Gloucester Docks today towing a butty, bound for Debdale Wharf. Had to revise route to avoid Watford Locks, so Severn to Stourport, Great Haywood, Derwent Mouth and up the Soar. Checked the weather, stood for a while looking at the river, decided I didn't fancy it, cancelled lock booking. Wise choice according to the Gloucester lockkeeper.

Wonder how soon we can go and can we still make it by July 6? ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, Rick-n-Jo said:

Was due to depart Gloucester Docks today towing a butty, bound for Debdale Wharf. Had to revise route to avoid Watford Locks, so Severn to Stourport, Great Haywood, Derwent Mouth and up the Soar. Checked the weather, stood for a while looking at the river, decided I didn't fancy it, cancelled lock booking. Wise choice according to the Gloucester lockkeeper.

Wonder how soon we can go and can we still make it by July 6? ?

Have you travelled along the G&S...? Just wondering if there has been any problems booking the bridges.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Have you travelled along the G&S...? Just wondering if there has been any problems booking the bridges.

 

Yes, from Saul. No problem, phone Dave on 07710175170, really helpful. They are I gather being pretty strict over un-booked boats trying to follow through. Desperately short staffed apparently.

  • Greenie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Rick-n-Jo said:

Was due to depart Gloucester Docks today towing a butty, bound for Debdale Wharf. Had to revise route to avoid Watford Locks, so Severn to Stourport, Great Haywood, Derwent Mouth and up the Soar. Checked the weather, stood for a while looking at the river, decided I didn't fancy it, cancelled lock booking. Wise choice according to the Gloucester lockkeeper.

Wonder how soon we can go and can we still make it by July 6? ?

Canal Plan says 12 days (and a bit). Good luck!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I worked it on 2 mph and 40 mins a lock on narrow canals, hopefully pessimistic. 15 minutes for locks in flights, bow hauling the butty so working the boats independently. Think that might be a bit optimistic though since we're now only two handed thanks to Covid.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I've only ever had two hands - is the loss of a hand (or two) another indication that you may have C19 ?

But the loss of smell might help in some stretches . . . 

 

Mind you, most in not like it used to be in the old days . . .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Captain Fizz said:

I know how you feel, I was planning to get to the Trent and Mersey this weekend. Currently at Birstall.

Yes , we are heading that way too, should have left on Wednesday but are still on our mooring.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Rickent said:

Was red yesterday, Redhill lock now closed. Just want to go boating.

So do I but we are not allowed to stay on our boats just yet and 500miles travel doesn't leave a lot of time for boating in one day.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just taken a drive down to Sawley to have a look at the Trent. No longer in flood and a boat came up from the Erewash without difficulty.

Met Mark on Callisto on his way through Sawley on his way back to the Soar and hoping that the Zouch flood lock is open!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Captain Fizz said:

Just taken a drive down to Sawley to have a look at the Trent. No longer in flood and a boat came up from the Erewash without difficulty.

Met Mark on Callisto on his way through Sawley on his way back to the Soar and hoping that the Zouch flood lock is open!

We are in Barrow, the monitoring stations at Pillings are all in the green and falling, the flow under the Soar bridge doesn't look anything more than usual but the light is still red at Barrow deep.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.