Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Batainte

Crossing Manchester Ship (River Mersey) on a 38ft NB good idea?

Featured Posts

Hi all,

Contemplating about crossing with 38ft Narrowboat from Liverpool& Leeds canal via Manchester Ship (River Mersey) into Weaver Canal and enter through Marsh Lock.

Given the fact that this is a river with tidal changes and potentially strong currents, would this be a good idea or sounds more like an overly ambition adventure?

Has anyone done this, if so any comments suggestions or criticism is very welcome.

Thanks in advance

Screen shot 2020-05-03 at 21.04.06.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think the course on your map is correct so more research needed. I suspect you plan the shorter Mersey crossing from Liverpool to (just before) Ellesmere Port, then up the ship canal to Marsh lock.  You will need a pilot to get you across the Mersey, and do find one who knows about narrowboats, a pilot with extensive experience of the Mersey but only in bigger boats might get you into some trouble.

 

.....................Dave

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You go from Liverpool to Eastham where you enter the Manchester Ship Canal, which you then follow up to the Weaver. There's a few videos on YouTube including this one:

 

You will need to meet the Manchester Ship Canal requirements for pleasure craft. You will also need the approval of your insurers, who may require an extra premium.

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Something in the back of my mind says there's a minimum length restriction on the MSC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I organised two convoys from Ellesmere Port to Liverpool in 2014 and having Stuart Wood on our [lead] boat as pilot was a real pleasure. Let's just say he's worth the money!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

we diid the weaver and then the ship canal in a large organised convoy with a boat club some years ago best way to go as we filled the locks and had a rally at salford quays 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/05/2020 at 21:07, Batainte said:

Hi all,

Contemplating about crossing with 38ft Narrowboat from Liverpool& Leeds canal via Manchester Ship (River Mersey) into Weaver Canal and enter through Marsh Lock.

Given the fact that this is a river with tidal changes and potentially strong currents, would this be a good idea or sounds more like an overly ambition adventure?

Has anyone done this, if so any comments suggestions or criticism is very welcome.

Thanks in advance

Screen shot 2020-05-03 at 21.04.06.png

Some info here:

 

https://www.peelports.com/media/1676/min3-safety-guidance-for-small-boats-april-2010.pdf

 

https://www.peelports.com/media/4983/mpf3-pleasure-craft-induction-pack-2020.pdf

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Awesome, thanks everyone for your time and wealth of information (didnt budget this in, so thanks @Wide boat man )

Understandably there is much more time needed to prepare for this journey as its not something one should just "wing it".

Cheerio

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While it would be a fun trip to do, are you planning on doing it to save time or because you really want to cross the Mersey?

 

I reckon Liverpool to Northwich is a three or four day delivery trip depending on how many hours you want to put in.

 

If you can't spare the time, a professional boatmover for 3 days would likely be cheaper than the MSC survey, the MSC transit fee and a Mersey pilot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

While it would be a fun trip to do, are you planning on doing it to save time or because you really want to cross the Mersey?

 

I reckon Liverpool to Northwich is a three or four day delivery trip depending on how many hours you want to put in.

 

If you can't spare the time, a professional boatmover for 3 days would likely be cheaper than the MSC survey, the MSC transit fee and a Mersey pilot.

but 7 or 8 for mere mortals 🙂

 

  • Happy 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, dmr said:

but 7 or 8 for mere mortals

 

Yeah, I did specify as a delivery trip - just go go go for 15 hours a day for 3 days, or less hours for more days.

 

As I have been known to overwinter Burscough / Tarleton / Parbold way,  I reckon you could easily spend 7 or 8 months - or even years! - on that  journey, but it's not much use having the boat at Leigh if you want it to be in Northwich!

 

If the plan is just to use the Weaver as a shortcut up the lift and onto the T&M, I think I'd rather spend the cash on beer and diesel and go via the Bridgewater.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheBiscuits said:

 

Yeah, I did specify as a delivery trip - just go go go for 15 hours a day for 3 days, or less hours for more days.

 

As I have been known to overwinter Burscough / Tarleton / Parbold way,  I reckon you could easily spend 7 or 8 months - or even years! - on that  journey, but it's not much use having the boat at Leigh if you want it to be in Northwich!

 

If the plan is just to use the Weaver as a shortcut up the lift and onto the T&M, I think I'd rather spend the cash on beer and diesel and go via the Bridgewater.

From just outside Wigan to the very outskirts of Liverpool is a wonderful and much under-rated section of canal, we half thought about spending a winter in that bit but the stoppage at Appley Deep Lock was too limiting. Instead we spent the winter half in Chester and half on the Weaver, including a ship canal transit between the two.

 

.............Dave

  • Happy 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.