Tonic required. Send in your photos of what is nice on the waterways now.

DandV

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, peterboat said:

Fantastic arnt they? We visited before the kelpies were officially opened 

They are beautiful, even on a wet day.

We stayed there in the van a few years ago to see them lit up at night. 

On this day in 1971

spacer.png

spacer.png

Navigation Bridge No 6 CoventryC (since rebuilt)

Phil, in the orange jacket above, is a small chap with a large motorbike...

We had consulted Joe Skinner at Hawkesbury Junction about whether any boats had ventured to Coventry since Christmas, and he thought not, so we were not surprised to find ourselves grounded on some large branches ...

Immediately recognised the Crinan canal,,  Ardrishaig to Crinan,

"the Crinan Canal for me, I don't like the wild foaming sea"

Sung by John Greive.

The voyages of the Vital Spark, B&W t v. 1960s

The Vital Spark / VIC 32 were the last of the Puffers. Documentary by David Hayman on YouTube.

Inveraray Maritime Museum has one, there once were about four hundred. They could be beached on the islands to deliver cargo including coal. 

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 1

The Waverly has had a few re paints, I believe this is the original, an absolute must for anyone interested in boats, the Cyde, engin3s,, or a nice cruise in summer.

Post WW1 was the era of these ships, they were transport for essential travel, trad3, and holiday cruises. There used to be jetties all round the Clyde, nowadays it RoRo ferries

Edited by LadyG

On this day in 1980

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.pngBallachulish Bridge  Scottish highlands which crosses Patrick's Narrows between Loch Leven and Loch Linnhe

Compare 26Oct2015  13Oct2022

On this day in 1975, we used the Ballachulish ferry which the bridge, then almost complete, was to replace. From memory, the ferry had space for two or three cars, and the operator allowed our van to keep its engine running, because our starter motor was faulty; sadly didn't get out the camera on that occasion ...

The Waverley was moored on the Thames embankment for a while. In the early 1980's I nearly went on a cruise on it with Hastings Lil. It was doing round the coast cruises. We waited on Hastings pier for it but because of a strong swell in the channel it couldn't get alongside, bumped the pier a couple of times then steamed away. We went to the pub instead. ,

I think the Waverley still makes an annual trip to London and the south coast where it runs trips to raise money for the upkeep and to pay for repairs when it runs into a pier and makes a hole in the hull 🙂 

1 hour ago, PeterScott said:

On this day in 1980

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.pngBallachulish Bridge  Scottish highlands which crosses Patrick's Narrows between Loch Leven and Loch Linnhe

Compare 26Oct2015  13Oct2022

On this day in 1975, we used the Ballachulish ferry which the bridge, then almost complete, was to replace. From memory, the ferry had space for two or three cars, and the operator allowed our van to keep its engine running, because our starter motor was faulty; sadly didn't get out the camera on that occasion ...

We went over that bridge in 2021.

No surprise it was raining as it usually does when we visit :lol:

Screenshot2024-03-27124931.jpg.17b6fa83353db45d5138f54b9eb49b32.jpg

Screenshot2024-03-27125000.jpg.fb5f92e4dab9866b761e72d61d3d15b7.jpg

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

IMG_7135.thumb.jpeg.6243423ad70fb1b36d0b7d935ee9c3d8.jpeg

Today, Tipton

Home of the Tipton Slasher IIRC... 😉 

(friendly and nice beer too, last time we were there)

6 hours ago, bizzard said:

The Waverley was moored on the Thames embankment for a while. In the early 1980's I nearly went on a cruise on it with Hastings Lil. It was doing round the coast cruises. We waited on Hastings pier for it but because of a strong swell in the channel it couldn't get alongside, bumped the pier a couple of times then steamed away. We went to the pub instead. ,

We went from Ipswich to London, under Tower Bridge, winded in the Pool and then back under the bridge to moor moor. then back to Ipswich on a coach 

11 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

We went from Ipswich to London, under Tower Bridge, winded in the Pool and then back under the bridge to moor moor. then back to Ipswich on a coach 

Sounds nice. Never heard of moor moor,

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, bizzard said:

My first sighting of the Waverly was that my father was on the list for first loans of the "Amateur Photographer" magazine from our local library.

And their camera reviews, in the 1960's  had  comparitive photographs of the old ladies, including Discovery and Waverly, against  the embankment.

So an already familiar view when I first saw it for real in the 1970's. Very much depleted when I next saw it in the early 90's

I am so glad that the Waverly was restored to being operational. Old dead boats are a bit sad. But old boats still doing what they were built to do are simply stunning.

Edited by DandV

On 18/03/2024 at 10:34, peterboat said:

Carol this morning said its going to get colder with Snow! So I believe her rather than a weather app

I  guess there was some some snow  somewhere .

But i didn't see any. Did you ?

54 minutes ago, Momac said:

Scotland had snow apparently, Tom a fellow boaters son was snowed in up there

Just now, peterboat said:

Scotland had snow apparently, Tom a fellow boaters son was snowed in up there

I figured  Carols forecast may have been for  Scotland.

Maybe you should have been clearer about the country  where snow was forecast .

12 hours ago, Momac said:

I saw that forecast, im sure she indicated snow mid pennines.

• Greenie 1