Kitchen extractor

Dre

Featured Posts

Same here - 'high power' computer fan - as used to be fitted to 'proper' computers (a PC fan is not really powerful enough...).

I suspect that there'd be little headroom space to fit a domestic cooker hood - even in a broadbeam boat.

4 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Mines a reverse layout boat, with the kitchen at the stern, so just open the slide hatch and/or doors, depending on the amount of rain, or how cold it is outside. No use to you, if your boat isn't similar though.

Jen

I used to open the side doors behind me  and/or the pigeon box thoughtfully sited above the cooker.

I have a 12v manrose extract-a-lite in the galley and one in the bathroom. They're good fans. 

https://images.app.goo.gl/PyCzFn67MVvwVLDD9

You say you want a powerful fan, but you need to be careful about fitting anything too powerful. I had a big extractor fan in the bathroom of my last boat and once I emerged from the shower to find the whole boat full of smoke. The fan had created a negative pressure inside the boat and was reversing the flow of flue gases through the stove back into the boat!

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 1
  • Horror 1

1 hour ago, blackrose said:

I have a 12v manrose extract-a-lite in the galley and one in the bathroom. They're good fans. 

https://images.app.goo.gl/PyCzFn67MVvwVLDD9

You say you want a powerful fan, but you need to be careful about fitting anything too powerful. I had a big extractor fan in the bathroom of my last boat and once I emerged from the shower to find the whole boat full of smoke. The fan had created a negative pressure inside the boat and was reversing the flow of flue gases through the stove back into the boat!

I am wondering if fitting one of these in an existing mushroom vent would reduce the ventilation, as far as the BSS scheme is concerned.

My boat is borderline on the BSS ventilation, so I get an advisory. It would be easy enough to make a couple of the door vents a bit bigger, but I haven’t bothered, as the chances of having 4 gas burners, 1 oven, and one instant gas water heater which only feeds the shower, running simultaneously, is not even slim.... it’s nil.

10 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

I am wondering if fitting one of these in an existing mushroom vent would reduce the ventilation, as far as the BSS scheme is concerned.

My boat is borderline on the BSS ventilation, so I get an advisory. It would be easy enough to make a couple of the door vents a bit bigger, but I haven’t bothered, as the chances of having 4 gas burners, 1 oven, and one instant gas water heater which only feeds the shower, running simultaneously, is not even slim.... it’s nil.

Definitely it reduces the effective area as far as the BSS is concerned. Many inspectors refuse to acknowledge ANY contribution from a vent which includes a fan (even if it's  a solar powered one with rechargeable battery that runs 24x7)

26 minutes ago, Keeping Up said:

Definitely it reduces the effective area as far as the BSS is concerned. Many inspectors refuse to acknowledge ANY contribution from a vent which includes a fan (even if it's  a solar powered one with rechargeable battery that runs 24x7)

But as it’s only an advisory, unless you’re ridiculously under-ventilated (like if you’ve blacked all over your vents...) who cares?

3 hours ago, Keeping Up said:

My examiner included the bathroom mushroom vent but I be think he reduced the effective ventilation area by half for that particular one to account for the fan blades.

2 hours ago, WotEver said:

But as it’s only an advisory, unless you’re ridiculously under-ventilated (like if you’ve blacked all over your vents...) who cares?

Yes it doesn't really matter as long as the total is approaching the recommended ventilation area. None of the cracks around doors or hatches are taken into account on the ventilation calculations, so most boats are likely to have a bit more than stated in a BSS report.

6 minutes ago, blackrose said:

So do I and I use an extractor fan too which works better than the open window alone.

Good for you. 

26 minutes ago, Dre said:

But my username is different to yours! ?

Lol ?

In fairness a fan is just something else to go wrong. My cooker is situated between two large windows so occasionally we open a window, we don't often bother, condensation is an aspect of living on a boat that we are used to and is no big deal innitt. 

I agree venting out the cooking fumes can be quite important or everything in the boat stinks of bacon after a couple of weeks.

its on my list but I have seen boats with chimney cooker hoods identical to the ones I fit most weeks so assume they take the voltage hit or found one that uses 12v fans.

I was thinking of modifying a domestic cooker hood to 12v. Maybe a cheap fan blower from a car. Or maybe even off the inverter as it's not a big load and would be on for a relatively short time 

2 hours ago, Dre said:

I was thinking of modifying a domestic cooker hood to 12v. Maybe a cheap fan blower from a car. Or maybe even off the inverter as it's not a big load and would be on for a relatively short time 

for boat use you only need a low power one anyway, but as I also like to cook and intend to have a 'proper' kitchen on the go I will be using a decent solution possibly as simple as a 12v bathroom extractor fan and some led spots built into a high level cabinet like an integrated cooker hood. or refit a cooker hood internally because the main part of a cooker hood is the grease screening and that is easy to get a hold of. 

There is a porthole above our hob and a mushroom vent on the rooflight above that. I mounted a small diameter car radiator fan, about 6 inches, to suck from the hob and out through the vent. Mounted on a board and screwed to roof below the vent. Below the fan is a piece of stainless steel mesh folded to hold a piece of grease trap paper.

Put a wire wound resistor in the feed, and airstream, to slow it down and reduce noise.

IMG_20200221_110302178.jpg

38 minutes ago, pearley said:

There is a porthole above our hob and a mushroom vent on the rooflight above that. I mounted a small diameter car radiator fan, about 6 inches, to suck from the hob and out through the vent. Mounted on a board and screwed to roof below the vent. Below the fan is a piece of stainless steel mesh folded to hold a piece of grease trap paper.

Put a wire wound resistor in the feed, and airstream, to slow it down and reduce noise.

IMG_20200221_110302178.jpg

Nice one! ?