They Dont Hang Around Long

Parahandy

Featured Posts

6 minutes ago, peterboat said:

As often as that? I am thinking of getting mine chromed its easier than never polishing

If you polish regularly it’s really not a chore....I use a waxy substance from Miracle polish over the winter...keeps them shiny underneath then just wipe it off and buff them up in the spring...I love the look of polished brass....and it’s quite therapeutic to actually do! 

26 minutes ago, frangar said:

If you polish regularly it’s really not a chore....I use a waxy substance from Miracle polish over the winter...keeps them shiny underneath then just wipe it off and buff them up in the spring...I love the look of polished brass....and it’s quite therapeutic to actually do! 

A pain in the arse can be therapeutic too.

4 minutes ago, TheMenagerieAfloat said:

Hard to say.

This one has two shiny ones though.

a-historic-working-narrowboat-going-into

And, to be fair, here is is next to a boat with a painted one

https://hnbc.org.uk/boats/manchuria

No. Thats Manchuria. LMS ex station boat. Should not have Cabin never mind engine never mind mushroom vents.

Sister boat to my ex beloved Mecca , which was the same, a counter sterned motorised ex station boat.

Very very Shiny.

I have several photo's of Willow Wren boats with the mushroom vents painted either Red of Green, one example:

I also have just as many photo's of working boats in their heyday with polished mushroom vents.

"Yer pays yer money and takes yer choice."

Willow Wren.JPG

Edited by Ray T

2 minutes ago, Ray T said:

I have several photo's of Willow Wren boats with the mushroom vents painted either Red of Green, o ne example:

Willow Wren.JPG

There are def some painted ones... Even found a BW one with painted stem and shiny head. 

Fail to beleive Roland has never previously had the joy of commenting censuriously on other people's mushrooms. 

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

Just for TMA

My "Vents , roof for the use of"

IMG_20140428_124250.jpg

Alan has no mushroom! 

1 minute ago, TheMenagerieAfloat said:

There are def some painted ones... Even found a BW one with painted stem and shiny head. 

Fail to beleive Roland has never previously had the joy of commenting censuriously on other people's mushrooms. 

Alan has no mushroom! 

Don't assume that your experiences are the same as the experiences of anyone else.

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Don't assume that your experiences are the same as the experiences of anyone else.

I didn't. I was aware of the solar vents (I  looked at swapping some mushrooms for some on one boat). The majority of narrowboats have mushrooms though. 

16 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I've been lucky then - many years without a leaking flying saucer vent.

I have them on the seagoing boat as well, they don't even leak when a wave comes over the bow.

CAM00366.jpg

That’s cheating - there’s nothing to rust...

31 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Flying saucer vents are the work of the devil... they always leak eventually. 

All the offshore yachts I sailed on had "flying saucer" vents, very easy to slip on, one very quickly learns to avoid them! There again mushroom vents would be a trip or a rope tangling hazard. Never know the saucer vents to leak even in a Force 9, the strongest wind I have been at sea with.

See the source image

Edited by Ray T
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, Ray T said:

All the offshore yachts I sailed on had "flying saucer" vents, very easy to slip on, one very quickly learns to avoid them! There again mushroom vents would be a trip or a rope tangling hazard. Never know the saucer vents to leak even in a Force 9, the strongest wind I have been at sea with.

See the source image

If God had meant you to live life at the angle he'd have given you one leg longer than the other.

Anything with less than Two-Hulls is only half-a-boat !!!

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

Aything with less than Two-Hulls is only half-a-boat !!!

Coming soon to a (controversially dimensioned) canal near your... The NarrowCat. Double hulled NB, perhaps with nice pretend grass, and a paddling pool, on the deck between them! 

5 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

If God had meant you to live life at the angle he'd have given you one leg longer than the other.

Anything with less than Two-Hulls is only half-a-boat !!!

For me a catamaran is a bit like having two women in tow, I can manage one but not two. :D

1 minute ago, TheMenagerieAfloat said:

Coming soon to a (controversially dimensioned) canal near your... The NarrowCat. Double hulled NB, perhaps with nice pretend grass, and a paddling pool, on the deck between them! 

No paddling pool!

Strange2.jpg

Strange1.jpg

Edited by Ray T
  • Happy 2