Which way is best/easiest to go?

Clodi

Featured Posts

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/10/2019 at 12:03, cuthound said:

I waved at you as you went past my house yesterday, we were clearing up after cutting back the hedge.

I almost didn't recognise you because you weren't wearing your red jump suit. ?

It will be back on again soon, a few more degrees down

On 09/10/2019 at 18:03, Boater Sam said:

To your mooring, the Shroppie is a better bet than Cheshire locks.

I'm doing the shroppie now Audlem flight tomorrow. Only real problem (so far) was dropping my phone into the cut at Stockton. 

5 minutes ago, Clodi said:

I'm doing the shroppie now Audlem flight tomorrow. Only real problem (so far) was dropping my phone into the cut at Stockton. 

well done, happens to us all (3 times in one month a few years ago)...did you manage to retrieve it and stick it in rice, ??

You have used my favourite  North South route, next year we shall be up there again...

On 23/10/2019 at 20:43, Clodi said:

I find the T&M is much easier single handed than the Shroppie as I like breaks inbetween locks. And most of the T&M is moorable whereas the Shroppie has long stretches where you can't moor because of the shelf or otherwise unsuitable banks. Just got to check you dont get caught out by stoppages. The Shroppie is more scenic of course but when you are doing a journey of necessity that probably isn't so important...

On 25/10/2019 at 14:09, Dave123 said:

I find the T&M is much easier single handed than the Shroppie as I like breaks inbetween locks. And most of the T&M is moorable whereas the Shroppie has long stretches where you can't moor because of the shelf or otherwise unsuitable banks. Just got to check you dont get caught out by stoppages. The Shroppie is more scenic of course but when you are doing a journey of necessity that probably isn't so important...

My boat is yet to be fitted-out with no lighting etc.I didn't fancy the Harecastle Tunnel on my own with only a Lidl head-torch :rolleyes:

28 minutes ago, Clodi said:

My boat is yet to be fitted-out with no lighting etc.I didn't fancy the Harecastle Tunnel on my own with only a Lidl head-torch :rolleyes:

Good call! Fundamentally though, it's not the route that's the issue -  I think your just starting from the wrong place...! ;)

29 minutes ago, Clodi said:

I do t know why Harecastle is seen as hard, it’s one of the easier tunnels as if wide and there is nothing coming the other way.  That said I don’t think CRT would let you go with just a head torch.  Since the guy was killed they check your tunnel light and horn.  I believe they lend you an air horn if your horn does not work, perhaps they also lend you a light, I don’t know.

Yes Harecastle is easy since they removed the towpath. I doubt they'd let you through without a proper light though (says the person who went through Braunston Tunnel last week with his wife shining a single-cell single-Led torch out of the front window because his spotlight bulb failed just after he entered the tunnel!)

On 27/10/2019 at 18:50, john6767 said:

I do t know why Harecastle is seen as hard, it’s one of the easier tunnels as if wide and there is nothing coming the other way.  That said I don’t think CRT would let you go with just a head torch.  Since the guy was killed they check your tunnel light and horn.  I believe they lend you an air horn if your horn does not work, perhaps they also lend you a light, I don’t know.

I actually carry a small trumpet like 'Horn' which you can give a good blast with (provided you've got the puff) left over from my 'Yotti' day

38 minutes ago, Clodi said:

I actually carry a small trumpet like 'Horn' which you can give a good blast with (provided you've got the puff) left over from my 'Yotti' day

Perhaps they would make you show that you could do the required one long blast every minute!

2 hours ago, Clodi said:

When I did Harecastle while the electric horn was broken I had one of these and it is still the horn I use most often even after fixing the electric one. The tunnel keepers weren't happy with it and gave me a compressed air horn for the trip. Their argument was that if the diesel fumes got too bad I wouldn't have the puff to sound the trumpet horn.

For a tunnel light, a decent led torch cable tied, or taped somewhere on the bow should last plenty long enough to get you through. No idea if the tunnel keepers will accept it.

Jen