Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Jennifer McM

Fruit hanging into Towpath - who 'owns' the goodies?

Featured Posts

On 26/08/2019 at 14:59, Murflynn said:

it always amazes me that at the end of the school holidays the brambles are covered in fruit, but the little darlings can never be seen collecting blackberries and then taking them home to mum or selling them to the neighbours.  It's what I used to do.

I've not been down the Marple flight at this time of year recently but there used to be blackberries trailing all over, just below the bottom gates of most of the locks. Ideal for picking when waiting from the next lock to be readied by the crew, and not reachable without a boat!

On 05/09/2019 at 11:26, Hudds Lad said:

scrumping, if you don't get caught, it's yours

Scrumping is only the right word if it's apples, though (OK maybe pears too).

3 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Who you calling common, I am a monkey of class

I saw your squirrel tother day.Therefore you must be a Common squirrel Monkey:-

csm.jpg

• Greenie 1

40 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I saw your squirrel tother day.Therefore you must be a Common squirrel Monkey:-

csm.jpg

How dare you, you mongrel you

• Horror 1

14 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

How dare you, you mongrel you

Mongrel huh! a mongrel....I'm a pedigree chum!(no,not like the dog food) You wound me sir! Pistols at dawn? Actually, can we make it 10.30, I like a lie in on a Saturday.

• Greenie 1

On 05/09/2019 at 11:20, MartynG said:

C&RT are encouraging blackberry picking. We had a nice crumble on Sunday with the fruit freshly picked . Apples too. All growing on C&RT land .

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/canal-and-river-wildlife/wildlife-blogs-and-features/pick-your-own-blackberries

That settles it, the notice gives anyone a general permission to pick blackberries on CRT land, and would be a perfect defence in court if they then tried to prosecute anyone who took some. It doesn't mention other fruit, but it could be argued that it suggests you're welcome to the apples too. Me, I'm planning to pick some hawthorn berries off Mitcham Common this week to make apple and hawthorn jelly and do not fear legal action. I have a plentiful supply of apples overhanging my garden and permission from my neighbour to use them.

Towpath-side bushes at Napton and Stoke Golding provided us with ample blackberries on our recent cruise. Don't worry, we've left some for you.

6 minutes ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

Being the owner of a kayak, fruit is much more easily gathered. I currently have maybe 20kg of apples, the tree was in a private garden, I took the fruits that were overhanging the canal. 

So, when it comes to fruit, you really can have your kayak and eat it. ;)

• Haha 1

On 06/09/2019 at 19:17, rusty69 said:

Mongrel huh! a mongrel....I'm a pedigree chum!(no,not like the dog food) You wound me sir! Pistols at dawn? Actually, can we make it 10.30, I like a lie in on a Saturday.

Now ladies, If you two can not apology to each other. Then Code Duello will apply, you now need to find your seconds. Tree Monkey has the choice of location and time under rule 17, Rusty69 has choice of distance. As to weapons, under the current laws pistols or swords are not permitted. Therefore you have the choice of Blackpuddings or Handbags.

Edited by nbfiresprite
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, nbfiresprite said:

Now ladies, If you two can not apology to each other. Then Code Duello will apply, you now need to find your seconds.

I already had my seconds after dinner. 

1 minute ago, nbfiresprite said:

Therefore you have the choice of Blackpuddings or Handbags.

How about blunder busses and balloons? 

4 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I already had my seconds after dinner. 

How about blunder busses and balloons? 

Not permitted by the CAA due to the risk of lead shot falling on people.

On 10/09/2019 at 12:43, Peter X said:

That settles it, the notice gives anyone a general permission to pick blackberries on CRT land, and would be a perfect defence in court if they then tried to prosecute anyone who took some. It doesn't mention other fruit, but it could be argued that it suggests you're welcome to the apples too. Me, I'm planning to pick some hawthorn berries off Mitcham Common this week to make apple and hawthorn jelly and do not fear legal action. I have a plentiful supply of apples overhanging my garden and permission from my neighbour to use them.

Recipe or it won’t happen