It pays to exercise due-diligence.

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, matty40s said:

thats one of the CRT triggered articles in response to the NBTA articles appearing this week, we seem to have a media war going on between the two.

Well the NTBA make NBW look amateurs at distorting the truth......about time they were challenged.  

• Greenie 2

2 hours ago, matty40s said:

I did come across a volume who bought a Wincham Widebeam sailaway as their dream. 

An unusual thing for a book to do - unless you meant something else.

22 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Update on the NBW website :

"We have discovered that Josie's boat was taken from Crick to the boatbuilder's then after modifications eventually launched at the marina below Norton Junction on the Grand Union"

Translation....”we’ve been rumbled that this might be made up or had the truth somewhat embellished”

Just now, frangar said:

How did you guess?? Unlike their members I’m actually boating at the moment otherwise my rant would be longer.....

Ha ha ha ? I tend to view them a little like how some People view Trade Unions , an increasingly necessary evil . Unfortunately Boats for many have become Social Housing and thats down to a failure of Government rather than a failure of those that reside on them . Enjoy your Boating , I am trying to afix my Greenhouse to the Towpath ........Only joking ?

2 hours ago, Parahandy said:

....... Boats for many have become Social Housing and thats down to a failure of Government rather than a failure of those that reside on them .

Everything wrong in this country is blamed on the gubbinment (by certain groups within our society at least).

The concept that you and you alone are responsible for all decisions about when you leave the family home, where you choose to live, how you make a living, what education and qualifications you receive, etc. seems to elude many folk who find themselves in difficulties and then decide they are 'disadvantaged'.  

I am fully aware that some folk are incapable of sorting these issues, as a result of having never had any family support, or being physically disabled or chronically ill.   

I have little sympathy for the remainder.  

When I was a lad I couldn't leave home because I couldn't afford somewhere to live.   Why was that simple truth abandoned in favour of belief in a nanny state?

• Greenie 2

21 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

Everything wrong in this country is blamed on the gubbinment (by certain groups within our society at least).

The concept that you and you alone are responsible for all decisions about when you leave the family home, where you choose to live, how you make a living, what education and qualifications you receive, etc. seems to elude many folk who find themselves in difficulties and then decide they are 'disadvantaged'.  

I am fully aware that some folk are incapable of sorting these issues, as a result of having never had any family support, or being physically disabled or chronically ill.   

I have little sympathy for the remainder.  

When I was a lad I couldn't leave home because I couldn't afford somewhere to live.   Why was that simple truth abandoned in favour of belief in a nanny state?

It doesn't really matter what sympathy you have does it ? Its an undeniable fact that there is a complete dearth of both Social and Affordable Housing in many Areas of this Country for those on both Low and even Middle Incomes . Between Thatcher who sold the Housing Stock off and successive Governments since who dont see Replacing that Stock as a Priority , Government in one shape or another is responsible for this situation .

And the government is elected by the people. The people go for self interest, bread circus and increasing property prices. So its societies fault, not the governments. Its an anglo saxon issue.

you only have to go to france holland and belgium to see that they do not have this issue.

why does everyone have to own - social control and financial entrapment, are involved in that, that and the insatiable greed of the people who own the banks, and provide mortgages that people never pay off. 

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

I have little sympathy. Stop.

30 years of being in a caring profession do that.

I know what you mean.

My wife was a nurse for 37 years!

My daughter is training as a nurse and is far too sympathetic.

She doesn't own a house but this is due to having no financial common sense whatsoever and her husband is the same.

Daughter nr2 is much more sensible. She has three children and a mortgage.  She has control over the finances. The mortgage payments are less than rent would be for the same house.

I my younger days there is no way a deposit could be saved or a house could be bought as a single person. Two salaries were required.  It is no different now other than mortgage interest is at an all time low. We had hand me down furniture and TV,s . I didnt buy a new TV until aged about 30.  People should prioritise their spending  save a deposit then get married and buy a house. Then consider having children . Some fo this even today and it is a achievable. Instead many do it completely back to front and wonder why they cant afford a house.

• Greenie 2

10 hours ago, Parahandy said:

Between Thatcher who sold the Housing Stock off

The bit I don't get about this is when she sold the stock the houses didn't evaporate into the ether, did they? I think after the sell off there was exactly the same number of houses so in what way did selling them off make the housing shortage any worse? The only thing that changed was the names on the pieces of paper that said who owned them. 

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

The bit I don't get about this is when she sold the stock the houses didn't evaporate into the ether, did they? I think after the sell off there was exactly the same number of houses so in what way did selling them off make the housing shortage any worse? The only thing that changed was the names on the pieces of paper that said who owned them. 

Mike I get sick of saying this to people! My mates mum bought hers and still lives there, and I know others that have done the same but that doesnt satisfy the whingers

5 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Mike I get sick of saying this to people! My mates mum bought hers and still lives there, and I know others that have done the same but that doesnt satisfy the whingers

Quite. The vast majority were sold to the existing occupiers so what's the problem?

4 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Quite. The vast majority were sold to the existing occupiers so what's the problem?

And even if some of those bought by owner occupiers eventually became owned by landlords, the property remains, and is probably occupied by someone who cant afford to own their own home. As you say, there is no way that this policy created, or contributed to, a shortage of homes.

1 minute ago, Richard10002 said:

and is probably occupied by someone who cant afford to own their own home.

Which highlights the greater by far iniquity.

The rent on any given house tends to be substantially higher than the monthly mortgage payment on the same house, so anyone affording the rent is demonstrating they CAN afford to buy it. Lenders' conservative affordability criteria keep them out of ownership though. 

9 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Which highlights the greater by far iniquity.

The rent on any given house tends to be substantially higher than the monthly mortgage payment on the same house, so anyone affording the rent is demonstrating they CAN afford to buy it. Lenders' conservative affordability criteria keep them out of ownership though. 

Agreed!! Although it is possible that the lenders have had these criteria forced upon them as a consequence of the banking disaster of a decade ago - not that it was anything to do with people successfully making their mortgage payments at the time.

1 hour ago, Richard10002 said:

And even if some of those bought by owner occupiers eventually became owned by landlords, the property remains, and is probably occupied by someone who cant afford to own their own home. As you say, there is no way that this policy created, or contributed to, a shortage of homes.

Unfortunately the other half of the policy did contribute. That was the half that forbade councils to use the money raised to build new council houses. The number of households was increasing, due to an uptick in family breakups as well as an increase in single parent households but the councils were unable to increase their housing stock to compensate. That's the root cause of some of the shortage.

15 minutes ago, Onionman said:

Unfortunately the other half of the policy did contribute. That was the half that forbade councils to use the money raised to build new council houses. The number of households was increasing, due to an uptick in family breakups as well as an increase in single parent households but the councils were unable to increase their housing stock to compensate. That's the root cause of some of the shortage.

I agree with that aswell. Both colours of government over the past few decades have completely abrogated their responsibility to provide enough suitable social housing for those who need it, something they can do at the stroke of a pen.

I think the fact that the job of Housing Minister has been a short term stepping stone to either bigger jobs, or oblivion, says much about the current governments concern over the issue, and we are unlikely to see any change.  

• Greenie 1

On Tuesday, July 30, 2019 at 12:33, Boater Sam said:

I wonder which boat fitter thought 1" of insulation and an Eberspacher  was sufficient for a big boat?

I" of sprayfoam should be sufficient for any canal boat. In fact a bigger boat has a smaller surface area to volume ratio, so in theory wouldn't need as much insulation thickness as a smaller boat. 

5 hours ago, Onionman said:

The number of households was increasing, due to an uptick in family breakups as well as an increase in single parent households but the councils were unable to increase their housing stock to compensate. That's the root cause of some of the shortage.

agree entirely.  people expect that after a  family break-up, or single girls expect that after having a baby, they are entitled.  

responsibility remains with the individual, not the gubbinment. 

when I was a young man there was no entitlement.  

damn the nanny state !!

imagine what would happen if it became fashionable for married couples to separate after raising the kids.  

8 minutes ago, blackrose said:

I" of sprayfoam should be sufficient for any canal boat. In fact a bigger boat has a smaller surface area to volume ratio, so in theory wouldn't need as much insulation thickness as a smaller boat. 

would that solve the housing shortage though?

................................   oh, sorry, you are back on topic (how very dare you?)   :rolleyes: 

17 minutes ago, blackrose said:

I blame Thatcher that there is only one inch of spray foam.  Where are the government laws when we need them, you can’t expect people to specify a foam thickness they want when ordering their boat, or specifying a heating system with capacity to cope.  If you don’t research what you want before ordering your wide beam boat (including if it can even navigate the route you wish to take) then it must be somebody else’s fault.......

• Haha 1