Place Phobias

Chris J W

Featured Posts

Out of curiosity, and just to let me know I'm not the only one that has a place they can't "face" going through ...

(Remember - A Phobia is an IRRATIONAL fear ...)

This week I had utterly intended to REALLY start CC-in by going from Uxbridge to Bishops Stortford ... weeeellll, that was the plan.

I'm f*cking terrified of going through Camden!

I know I can do locks on my own.

I know the police are there.

I know that the druggies and drunks won't affect me really.

But I'm still sat at Greenford and have agreed a "Plan B" with who I was going to meet at Bishops Stortford.

So - does anyone else have an utterly irrational fear of going to/through somewhere?

Asda's on a saturday or anytime around christmas.

Other than that, Ben Nevis in cloud and suddenly the cloud lifting and being scared of heights suddenly seeing this magnificent vista open up below me and ending up on all fours digging in with my ice axe and hoping id done me crampons up tight enough. vertigo is a strange thing

I had an irrational fear of waterfronts, especially with large metal structures. When I first started working on the riverbank in Lincoln, I had to work nights for a time. The old warehouse (now just a front for new flats) had 2 large cranes on the front. I often walked around the river to my car in the break, and remember keeping my eyes to the floor so I could walk underneath them, which I had to do at least twice a day........ended up doing this for 16 years.

It is only really since I have been boating these last 5 years that I have overcome this feeling. I think the 'proper' name is systematic desensatisasion.

When I had to stop at the end of 1990, it was at least 15 years before I could bring myself to walk past the works entrance on that side of the river.

Still not keen of passing lots of high buildings in towns etc. while on the water.

The Barton Aquaduct near me... I don't like heights anyway, and going over that used to scare the sh*t out of me but I'm not so bad with it now..

The Ponty on the Llangollen was also a nightmare for me... although I managed to conquer that fairly quickly. Went over that the first time, sat in side, looking at the floor. On the way back over though, I was driving and even managed to pull my mate back onto the deck from the gunnels who thought it would be an idea to walk up to take a picture on the side where there's no path. He went a bit funny so I had to grab him and pull him back lol.

Any weirs - my brother fell in years ago, Dad panicked, dived off the boat into the river to find said brother merrily doing a backstroke to the side, Mum now in charge of boat going full steam into the lock (me only 10 and not quite sure what was happening) - Dad annoyed that he couldn't quite perform the rescue he wanted to!

Every time I see a weir now I fell as if I am going to fall in - totally ridiculous!

Still fell a bit shaky at a lock which is fairly silly as well - but weirs are at the top!

The Barton Aquaduct near me... I don't like heights anyway, and going over that used to scare the sh*t out of me but I'm not so bad with it now..

The Ponty on the Llangollen was also a nightmare for me... although I managed to conquer that fairly quickly. Went over that the first time, sat in side, looking at the floor. On the way back over though, I was driving and even managed to pull my mate back onto the deck from the gunnels who thought it would be an idea to walk up to take a picture on the side where there's no path. He went a bit funny so I had to grab him and pull him back lol.

I loved and hated the ponty in equal measures, terrified of heights, love the views. Didn't have a problem with chirk though. Just looked up at the viaduct and pretended I was at ground level.

What a fascinating thread........I thought it was just me........We are still a year or two away from our dream becoming reallity but already the llangollen canal gives me nightmares.

I am, absolutely, going to face my demons eventually and beat them to a pulp and leave them floundering in my wake.

Until then I'll keep taking the pills.

Maybe we could cross when there is heavy cloud .....or even better, rain .......or snow, it often snows in Wales.....or in the dark.........it's often dark in Wales.........or laying flat on my back in bed..........

I hate Demons c045.gif

Out of curiosity, and just to let me know I'm not the only one that has a place they can't "face" going through ...

This week I had utterly intended to REALLY start CC-in by going from Uxbridge to Bishops Stortford ... weeeellll, that was the plan.

But I'm still sat at Greenford and have agreed a "Plan B" with who I was going to meet at Bishops Stortford.

So - does anyone else have an utterly irrational fear of going to/through somewhere?

The one place on the canal that made me feel uncomfortable was the old Shelton Steel works in Stoke on Trent where it spanned the canal. It wasn't claustrophobia as such because it was such a big open structure. I feel the same in empty aircraft hangars, warehouses and even big churches. I cannot wait to get out. Tunnels do not bother me at all.

Edders

Untie your boat and get down those locks !

or else..........

It's nothing to worry about

The worst thing to happen will be you making a prat of yourself and 100000 tourists taking the piss

Just Do It Young Man

Really not fond of Nuneaton . . . seems uttelry heartless as far as the canal system goes. Always make sure we clear it early. Somewhat irrational as the worst that has ever happened is half a dozen 7 year olds 'fed' the boat some bread as we went through once. Hardly fear inspiring.

At some point will daresay travel through Manchester again but the same applies. Been through no problem despite the gloom merchants - just moored up outside and set off early.

I remember Shelton Steel works - cruised through it when it was still working. All gone now. Desolate but not intimidating.

As for ASDA etc. I though that was just me and the crew. REALLY dislike anywhere where there is lots of 'civilisation'. Living afloat is so slow and peaceful the real world is just manic.

being partly agoraphobic i have loads of irrational fears but my worst one is going in buildings where you have to walk through lots of corridors or supermarkets... oh and a fear of her indoors going in to town with my credit card.... makes me shudder to even think of it....

I knew someone some years ago who always boated single handed in his 40 ft narrow boat. He had a real claustrophobic dread of tunnels, and so when one approached he would check to make sure nothing was coming the other way, and then set the throttle with about a quarter revs and go down below. His boat bounced from one side to the other but he would rather sustain ant scrapes and paintwork damage than go on deck. Heaven help anyone who might enter the tunnel once he had started through!

Howard Anguish

Camden is a GREAT place. DO NOT be scared. there is nothing to be afraid of. I will come with you if you want, I love that place. Im prepared to do the locks for you as well.. you can just stay on board and enjoy the view of people spaced out to the sides. Honestly... camden is a well chilled out place. just make sure your doors are closed on the sides and at the front and then you can be sure that no one will get on and try to cadge a lift.

Im afraid of open water, ie, swimming in it. I went kayaking out at a place on the west coast of brittany, amazing experience, the water was crystal clear, turqoise, fantastic... except i got vertigo everytime i looked down.

Im not afraid of heights... just deep water.

Amazing really when I think about how many times ive been out at sea. I think i love the taste of fear.

White rapid water.

I once tried hopping across some stones across some rapid water (my own fault), misjudged the step and fell in. I am strong swimmer, but you are not expecting to fall, you are not in a position to be prepared.

I fell in, and all I could see were bubbles. I was moving underwater, totally disorientated and bobbed up a couple of times, bashing down rocks thinking 'bugger, this is it, I'm going to drown' when I reached out and managed to get a grip on a rock and pull myself round to a calmer piece of the water where my frantic husband who could only watch with horror was screaming at me and panicing not knowing what the hell to do.

I dragged myself, sat there and burst into tears, then burst into laughter, then burst into tears. I was also camping at the time, so the next morning, I woke up pretty black and blue, but fortunately nothing broken.

I even had a fear of babbling brooks for a while, but I am getting better!

Oh, and the thought of parachuting out of a plane. No ta!

Not got a place I fear going through yet, but have a lot of waterways to explore, so maybe I'll find one!

I don't like going through Camden, but only because my partner has done those locks a kazillion times, mostly for the Pirate Club, usually single handing, delivering a boat somewhere in time for a trip, because no one else wants to do it either! So it's a bit boring! The dog doesn't like it because we chain him up, he isn't allowed to get off.

If we are going through Camden, we go on a weekday morning. Goths don't surface until the afternoon and rarely on weekdays. The people who hang around the locks are usually no trouble, you are more likely to get missiles thrown from the council estate opposite Battlebridge basin. Just take a golfing umbrella, put it up and wave cheerfully, they keep them on the Pirates boats for that use.

You could always tie up on the short term mooring space (above Hampstead Road Lock, just before Dead Dogs) and wait for another boater to come so you can share the lock.

Camden is a GREAT place. DO NOT be scared. there is nothing to be afraid of. I will come with you if you want, I love that place. Im prepared to do the locks for you as well.. you can just stay on board and enjoy the view of people spaced out to the sides. Honestly... camden is a well chilled out place. just make sure your doors are closed on the sides and at the front and then you can be sure that no one will get on and try to cadge a lift.

Im afraid of open water, ie, swimming in it. I went kayaking out at a place on the west coast of brittany, amazing experience, the water was crystal clear, turqoise, fantastic... except i got vertigo everytime i looked down.

Im not afraid of heights... just deep water.

Amazing really when I think about how many times ive been out at sea. I think i love the taste of fear.

Damn! I wish you'ld posted this yesterday! I'm now back in Uxbridge having decided that the trip to Stortford will just have to wait. However, in a few months, I may well take you up on the offer if the thought of it still keeps me stuck at Greenford/Little Venice blubbing like a blubbing thing! B) Post=Camden beers on me, of course! <_<

Camden is horrible on a Saturday afternoon - trying to push balance beams that have hoards of people sitting on and under them - at least cattle have the intelligence to move when you shoo them! I know its a great place to chill out but cant they tell when they are in the way?!

"How much is it?"

"How much is what?"

"A ride in the boat!"

- Jesus wept, three locks, thats 40 minutes of this crap, I'm a Narrowboater, get me out of here!

Damn! I wish you'ld posted this yesterday! I'm now back in Uxbridge having decided that the trip to Stortford will just have to wait. However, in a few months, I may well take you up on the offer if the thought of it still keeps me stuck at Greenford/Little Venice blubbing like a blubbing thing! B) Post=Camden beers on me, of course! <_<

thing is, camden is actually just a place for alternative people to go and meet, plus its really touristy... especially with french people for some reason. while you pass, why not nip in to the markets area, visit the second hand clothes markets or chow down on some top take away nosh. if you go near the end of the day then its only a £1 for a huge tray of something delicious.

I consider myself a bit alternative, and feel like i share something with the "odd" looking people at camden. and I assume they are kinda similar to me, and that is peaceful and no threat to anyone. ok some of them sit around a bit stoned, but i think stoned is generally far more peaceful/relaxed than drunk.

you have to go with the flow, yes there will be people sitting on and around the beams of the locks if you go at busy times during the weekend. the main thing is to be nice to people, dont treat them lie freaks or scum or act like you think they are out to get you. they are afterall, human beings. some of them may not see much sunlight, being a bit pale in the skin... they may want you to think they look like a vampire and therefore dangerous... but in fact its just a shock tactic, if you dont act shocked then either you are one of them or you are open minded and thats cool.

next time you are ready to pass through camden, be sure to PM me and I will come along and help you.

when in doubt... smile, look your victim in the eyes and exclaim "it's a beautiful day isn't it!" ( it doesnt matter what the weather is)

of course, once you're past camden, you need to watch for kids lobbing rocks