Calden canal low headroom.

Featured Posts

Hi guys n gals. 

Advice needed for low bridge heights on the Caldon please. I'm at 76" at a push. If my life depends on it I can go to 68" but that really is desperate roof box stripping. 

Are you specifically wanting to go through Froghall tunnel?  There was a recent thread about this.

If not, I can't recall anything else on the Caldon being particularly low, but I've not been on it that recently.

We have just passed you, by the way.......

Terry, I seem to remember you have a very clever way of lowering your boat height......:P

Roll your carpets up and undo the hatch....only joking - your roof boxes will have to come off, but theres nothing else on Alfie that should stop it, its not a high boat.

IIRC I think the bridge before the lift bridge in Hanley is pretty low but I'd be surprised if a 6'4" boat had problems.  

With Froghall it's not so much the air draught as the tumblehome that determines whether you can get through.  A lot of modern boats won't do it but do bear in mind the guage at Flint Mill lock is quite pessimistic.  On the one occasion I have done Froghall we clipped the guage but got through the tunnel easily.  That boat was well under 5'6" air draught with a lot of tumblehome.  

Looking at your boat I think you could get through if you cleared the roof.

There is a fairly low bridge on the T&M before you get to the junction at Etruria, I can't remember exactly where it is though.

I don't recall anything being an issue on the Caldon other than Froghall tunnel which we decided not to risk.

1 hour ago, Rob-M said:

There is a fairly low bridge on the T&M before you get to the junction at Etruria, I can't remember exactly where it is though.

I don't recall anything being an issue on the Caldon other than Froghall tunnel which we decided not to risk.

Nor can I other than it is somewhere on the way up into Stoke.  People get worried about Harecastle, but that bridge is significantly lower, (but please don't ask us how we know this....).

I would agree bridge 9 is low and I dropped my exhaust to get under it (shame I didn't do it for the pipe at bridge 117/118 on the T&M). The guide at Flint Mill is a little pessimistic, if you do get through I grounded out in the lock going into the basin and had to reverse out of it. 

Nice cafe and cakes at the basin.

The photos are of the where I thought it was the lowest part of the tunnel compared to the gauge as you enter the tunnel

Enjoy your trip

IMG_20190504_065538.jpg

IMG_20190504_065616.jpg

Going through is a must

A lot of people get put off by horror stories & the local Black Prince yard do not let boats through, we we have an Ex BP & when we bought her we were told it would go under all the CRT bridges. So we put it to the test at Froghall.

No probs with just 2 adults, just fill all the tanks. See Blog below.

It dose have a small kink to look out for, so go slow.

Edited by Martin@75

• 2 weeks later...