Nurser's Hazel for sale

Paul H

Featured Posts

Apparantly.

Thought there might be one or two forum members in particular who would be interested in this.

Paul

I looked at the link and clicked on "Full size image" but it only showed something about 4" long. £25K seems a lot for a 4" boat.

Converted, motorise butties never seem right to me.

Mind you.... without people doing that, I suppose a lot less of them would have survived

I've never tried a motorised Nurser butty but I used to own the motorised Big Ricky, Taplow, and it was one of the easiest boats I've ever steered.

Would its steering characteristics have been helped by the piggin' enormous butty rudder, or had that been replaced during her motorisation?

Butty rudders are only big when they've got 20 tons of cargo in the hold.

When empty there is about the same surface area of rudder, under the water, as a motor.

I think it is more to do with Big Rickies being such great boats and I think they should have built a 6 plank motor, instead of those funny metal ones.

When empty there is about the same surface area of rudder, under the water, as a motor.

Blimey, I have just had one of those "imaginary-lightbulb-over-the-head" moments. Of course, that's obvious when one thinks of it - but this one had never thunk of it.

Converted, motorise butties never seem right to me.

Mind you.... without people doing that, I suppose a lot less of them would have survived

Here's part of the reason this one survived.

Hazel.jpg

One of the more unlikely hireboats, even back in the 1970s.

I believed it steered well enough, but not having a counter, even with added "fish plates", (if that's the correct term!), it wasn't the greatest stopper.

It had an SR3 then too, so perhaps it's the same one ?

25K does sound a lot, but perhaps it is in fair condition, I don't know ?

Edited by alan_fincher

Seems in pretty good nick to me?

They moored opposite us for a while and they post on the Lee and Stort boaters group on Facebook. When they drydocked @ Enfield earlier this year, they openly invited anyone and everyone from the group to come and have a look and see how they recaulk the hull. I didn't go down there, but there are some photos on the group.

26101_334724332029_556352029_3938198_8089900_n.jpg

26160_324592727029_556352029_3907076_6214850_n.jpg

More on the group if anyone wants to join!

Edited by Lady Muck

I think it is more to do with Big Rickies being such great boats and I think they should have built a 6 plank motor, instead of those funny metal ones.

Even worse, the butty rudder will not have any counter-balanced leading edge unless major surgery has been carried out to the stern. With a properly designed rudder on a motor boat you "redirect" some 70-80% of the thrust from the blades to push the stern one way or the other. With a motorised butty you are only redirecting 50% of your thrust, and the other 50% is still pushing you straight ahead. This is also the main reason that motorised ex-sailing barges such as tjalks, aaks and so on are often a pig to steer. In fact these Dutch ex-sailing boats are generally quite bluff at the arse end so don't have much by way of a swim, and that makes them even more problematic.

Here's part of the reason this one survived.

Hazel.jpg

One of the more unlikely hireboats, even back in the 1970s.

I believed it steered well enough, but not having a counter, even with added "fish plates", (if that's the correct term!), it wasn't the greatest stopper.

We raised her 15 years ago when she was section 8-ed at trent lock and sunk. When we got her, if i remember correctly there was no engine in, and the rudder had been "Misplaced" by a boat yard. i'm sure my dad will be along soon with more details, but as i recall we docked her, did work as necessary and sold her on. She was in a fair to good condition then, except for some rot on the stern, which we patched up. This was my first, brief, experience of a wooden boat, and not my last!!!! she did have cavitation plates fitted, and i think the prop was still there!

I have to say though £25000.......really? is there a typo?

Regards

Dan

So that is 2 wooden Nursers and a Walton on appolo duck.Ian has been put on it and a Walton located in the braunston area not names.Must be close to a record.

Unfortunately the Walton is the only one realistically priced (for the market, not their actual worth).

A better Nurser motor, than Ian, sold a couple of years ago for much less than Ian is on the market for and I suspect Hazel is priced either very optimistically or on on the value of its fit out (which I would rip out as soon as I got it, anyway)

Unfortunately the Walton is the only one realistically priced (for the market, not their actual worth).

A better Nurser motor, than Ian, sold a couple of years ago for much less than Ian is on the market for and I suspect Hazel is priced either very optimistically or on on the value of its fit out (which I would rip out as soon as I got it, anyway)

She's currently in the South East, though, where people will pay £30k for knackered Springers.

THIS is priced optimistically. clicky Note the careful wording - you don't get the freehold on the mooring, it's rented. A (not even that well done) owner fit out 20 years old Liverpool boat for £350k, a snip!

Edited by Lady Muck

She's currently in the South East, though, where people will pay £30k for knackered Springers.

And WTF has happened to the image in the "Duck" advert ?

171772_1.jpg

Looks like a wall has been badly Photoshopped in behind Hazel.

seems to be a BW weed gathering boat or similar now trapped beyond that artificial wall!

Assume the picture is on the Lee, or the Limehouse cut ?

But where ? (I don't know these waterways well enough).

And WTF has happened to the image in the "Duck" advert ?

171772_1.jpg

Looks like a wall has been badly Photoshopped in behind Hazel.

seems to be a BW weed gathering boat or similar now trapped beyond that artificial wall!

Assume the picture is on the Lee, or the Limehouse cut ?

But where ? (I don't know these waterways well enough).

Its outside Enfield Drydock - from when they recaluked and reblacked