moving to France

Paul Garofalo

Featured Posts

Hi, new to this forum but have been boating for 15 years, living on a narrowboat for nearly 4 years.

I am living on a narrowboat but im going to the dark side and have bought a barge, a Brigantine, 60ft x 12ft 6 ins, My plan is to take it to the continent and cruise the waterways starting in France. Lots to learn I know but very exciting.

my question is I need to transport it across to France, just wondered if anyone could give me any advice, I am going to do a course first to get my coastal Skipper or weekend Skipper then decide whether to take it across or get it transported so hopefully someone may have done this before

Edited by Paul Garofalo
added to the text

Welcome, Paul. Your plans sound exciting and, as someone who is fond of French canals, I'm slightly envious!

When you say "brigantine" are you referring to the conformation of sail on a 2-masted vessels, or is it a make?

Edited by Athy

Just now, Paul Garofalo said:

sorry yes its the make, a dutch barge copy by Tyler Wilson, sorry I didn't quite finish what I was typing beore it got sent, I need to get my head around how this all works , lol

That's a relief: some French canal bridges are pretty darned tight even if you haven't got masts.

Where in France do you intend to go? There is at least one member, perhaps more, who lives and boats over there.

I havent got as far a planning a route yet, proberbly go all over France first, south then back and into Belgium and Holland.

I need to read lots and talk to lots of people. Boat should be ready by late summer so im heading across the wash first and will cruise around the north of England for 12 months to give me experience. Lots of wide canals up there. 

1 hour ago, Paul Garofalo said:

I havent got as far a planning a route yet, proberbly go all over France first, south then back and into Belgium and Holland.

I need to read lots and talk to lots of people. Boat should be ready by late summer so im heading across the wash first and will cruise around the north of England for 12 months to give me experience. Lots of wide canals up there. 

If /when the UK  leaving the EU finally gets sorted dependent on the out come it may be more difficult to live your dream as I've heard rumblings the visa time limit may be limited to 6months  when the time come suggest you have it all sorted before making plans to get the boat over here & beware the french are great believers in having 14 sheets of paper when 1 will do the job  hope you can realise your dream but sort very carefully before committing & bare in mind the " Marie " is all power full

WoW exciting, 

is it something like this

http://newandusedboat.co.uk/brigantine-barge/

My first question would be Classification ie seaworthiness.

http://www.beneteau.com/en/page-actualite/what-ce-certification-means-boat-buyers

Narrowboats are usually Class D, inland water only.

Insurance will effectively define your cruising area.

You may be insured to cross the Wash in good weather for example, but never The English Channel.

There is a Brexit Exit thread on here.

Good luck, happy boating :)

Edited by LadyG

Hi

As things stand at the moment, thanks to brexit, it is likely that your time in France will be limited to perhaps only 3 months at a time, post 29/3/19. As no one knows what is going on, least of all the British government, things are changing all the time and therefore accurate information is hard to come by. The rule of thumb that many of us are working by is that the more obstructionist the British are, the French are likely to be so too. It’s human nature. Blame the quitters,  but at the same time just get on with planning your life while planning ahead.

There is more detailed information available from both the British embassy in Paris  website and from the french government website.

• Haha 1

I am not sure what the future situation will be regarding 'importing' a vessel into the EU and its VAT status. It depends on the outcome of brexit. I remember many years ago if you wanted to keep a British registered craft in France for more than 6 months it had to be put in a customs bond, usually over the winter. I think there is still technically a limited time for visiting before you need to get a French Registration, which needs a French address for keeping a British boat in France but I don't think it has ever been enforced. We had our boat in France for the last ten years and never had any problems but sadly decided to call it a day after the brexit vote. No doubt it will all be made clear soon! Currently there are few regulations for vessels under 20m except on places like the Rhine when 15m is currently the limit to be a 'sportboat' but I have heard there may be further restrictions.

Hi Paul. Yes, the Dutch Barge Association has up to date and reliable info on current rules and regs.  Up to 20m they are easier, over 20m it starts to get harder so you should be OK. With that size boat I would consider taking it across with a delivery skipper, again info available from the DBA. Our boat went across on a lorry but we were lifted out at Greenland wharf(?) just opposite Limehouse on the Thames and lifted back in at Dunkirk. Neither of those cranes could lift you and it could be an expensive operation if you went by lorry so I would plan for next spring / summer by sea. You will also need a Cert. of Competence with CEVNI, this can be done in this country and is not a huge problem. Basically CEVNI is just a knowledge of all the signage on the European canals. You also need a VHF radio and a licence, again, not a huge problem but the DBA is the place to go.

A knowledge of French is obviously useful and on the big waterways you will have to speak to the lockeepers, again that sounds worse than it is, they have to speak to German, Dutch, Danish and Norwegians (taking the canal route to the Med) and a lot of Aussies and Kiwis as well as Americans so don't be scared. Avoid the big commercial waterways for a year or two and enjoy the smaller ones. What the hell happens after Brexit nobody knows so just go for it.  Good Luck, its a friendly place, have fun.

Just now, Paul Garofalo said:

No, i brought it back to Cambridgeshire across the wash back in June. I bought it from a lady in Thorne, she had it built 6 years ago 

You bought Lesleys boat the second one built with a Anthony M interior. We have been on a few trips with her over the years 5 or six widebeams on the trent great fun!!

Paul.

To use the boat in France you need an icc with cevni endorsement. Bisham abbey does the course.

nobody yet knows what Brexit will mean to those of us with barges on the continent but the Americans and others can get a 12 month visa so if the worst happens that should be available to us. Make sure you have a vat invoice even if it shows zero vat as your boat was built and paid for whilst UK was in the eu. 

Having any red diesel in your tanks can be a problem so make sure you have good invoices proving duty paid but this might change before you go.

all the best

13 minutes ago, Paul Garofalo said:

Wow, small world,  yes Leslys boat,  she had it open plan as a hairdressing business si i have stripped it all out and rebuilding it with a second bedroom and shower room.

Such a lovely shaped boat 

I agree a great shaped boat, she helped design it with Jonny she wanted more style than a widebeam but with the space of one. At jonnies is a 70 foot one with wheelhouse its stunning white and blue lovely.

Glad to hear that the boat is in good hands and finally getting finished good luck and hope to chat again

4 minutes ago, Dav and Pen said:

Paul.

To use the boat in France you need an icc with cevni endorsement. Bisham abbey does the course.

nobody yet knows what Brexit will mean to those of us with barges on the continent but the Americans and others can get a 12 month visa so if the worst happens that should be available to us. Make sure you have a vat invoice even if it shows zero vat as your boat was built and paid for whilst UK was in the eu. 

Having any red diesel in your tanks can be a problem so make sure you have good invoices proving duty paid but this might change before you go.

all the best

Thank you for info,  think I'll join the barge association to start with.  So much to think about

7 minutes ago, X Alan W said:

Looking at the web page/specs of your boat (Tidy Job) with the narrow side decks you might experience more difficulty getting around  than the style designed for European water ways just a thought worth checking

I remember it as having not a bad side deck size? but that was earlier this year and I have slept since then

14 minutes ago, X Alan W said:

Looking at the web page/specs of your boat (Tidy Job) with the narrow side decks you might experience more difficulty getting around  than the style designed for European water ways just a thought worth checking

I noticed that you live in France, i need to get books and maps but are there any canals that i won't be able to get along with my 12ft 6 width