Boat re-fit

Panatha

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I had a very old fashioned English teacher - a real tartar she was !!

For example - I would have been in detention had I written the following (regarding the Admiral Nelson at Braunston) :

The pub features a lounge and bar area, games room, and dining room that seats 30. It has a large beer garden facing the Grand Union Canal that provides seating for 100 people. 

My English teacher would have been over the moon if I had been able to write that well.

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I had a very old fashioned English teacher - a real tartar she was !!

For example - I would have been in detention had I written the following (regarding the Admiral Nelson at Braunston) :

The pub features a lounge and bar area, games room, and dining room that seats 30. It has a large beer garden facing the Grand Union Canal that provides seating for 100 people. 

Apart from the sloppy English of the last sentence, there's that dreaded Oxford comma.

3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Ah, is that the name for the redundant comma before the word 'and'?

Commonly known as the Oxford comma, but more correctly as the 'serial comma'.

In English language punctuation, a serial comma or series comma is a comma placed immediately before the coordinating conjunction in a series of three or more terms. For example, a list of three countries might be punctuated either as "France, Italy, and Spain", or as "France, Italy and Spain".

Off topic, but anyone interested in correct grammar and punctuation should consult the excellent "New Hart's Rules" published by OUP.

eta: https://www.waterstones.com/book/new-harts-rules/oxford-university-press/9780199570027

I realise I belong to the wrong generation because I still take care to punctuate and spell text messages, tweets and emails correctly.

Edited by koukouvagia

30 minutes ago, koukouvagia said:

Off topic, but anyone interested in correct grammar and punctuation should consult the excellent "New Hart's Rules" published by OUP.

eta: https://www.waterstones.com/book/new-harts-rules/oxford-university-press/9780199570027

I realise I belong to the wrong generation because I still take care to punctuate and spell text messages, tweets and emails correctly.

So do I, but mysteriously in the instant between finishing composing my message and pressing “Submit Reply”, all manner of errors manifest themselves. 

• Haha 2

Still off topic. 

I could be wrong but would an Oxford comma not be appropriate when talking about a list of people (for example).

Robert, John, and Mary - would suggest 3 individual people.

Robert, John and Mary - would suggest 1 individual and 1 couple. 

I love Oxford commas (even I I use them incorrectly) and split infinitives. :D

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Ah, is that the name for the redundant comma before the word 'and'?

It’s not redundant. It shows that the last item in the list has equal importance to the others. Without it the sentence would suggest that the dining room should be given more emphasis. 

It needed an ‘a’ before ‘dining room’ though. 

And before ‘games room’

I have never knowingly split an infinitive ;)

Edited by WotEver
Pedantry lol

7 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

Still off topic. 

I could be wrong but would an Oxford comma not be appropriate when talking about a list of people (for example).

I love Oxford commas (even I I use them incorrectly) and split infinitives. :D

In this case you are using the Oxford comma to resolve ambiguity and it is therefore appropriate.  However, in the Nelson advert there is no ambiguity and comma should not have been used.

I personally would have written "Robert together with John and Mary".

13 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

2 minutes ago, WotEver said:

It’s not redundant. It shows that the last item in the list has equal importance to the others. Without it the sentence would suggest that the dining room was the most important item. 

So to summarise we think it was Mary, in the Dining Room, and with a punctuation mark?

What game are we playing again?

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, koukouvagia said:

In this case you are using the Oxford comma to resolve ambiguity and it is therefore appropriate.  However, in the Nelson advert there is no ambiguity and comma should not have been used.

I personally would have written "Robert together with John and Mary".

Had I realised all three of them were going, I'd have gone along myself!

Hi all,

Again, thanks to everyone for all your input. As much as we want to keep the boat, we will think carefully about whether it is worthwhile and warranted and will tread carefully before we make the decision to spend any money. Thanks to all who have given recommendations and advice.

• Greenie 1

On 15/12/2018 at 15:04, rusty69 said:

Is it a dangling participle or a misplaced modifier?

late to the table:
Is that either one or the other, or are they synonyms?✔️

Is that either one, or the other, or are they synonyms?✔️

Is that either one or the other or are they synonyms?✔️

Edited by LadyG

11 minutes ago, Trento said:

Perhaps we could get this Oxford comma guy and his mate Split to help out the OP ?

just to get back on track !

The OP seems to have had some very good answers to his question and according to post No45 is now going off for a think. 

Edited by Tumshie