Best starter MIG kit?

WotEver

Featured Posts

I thought I’d make my own thread about this rather than piggy-back on another as I tried earlier. I couldn’t make my

mind up whether to put it here or ‘Equipment’ so... ‘Maintenance’ won ;)

So, to the question, would this be a decent buy for a welding noob who would probably only use it a couple of times a year on relatively light stuff? And would I be best off with the gas conversion? 

Thanks, Tony

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/010110125/

For occasional jobs I'm sure it'll do fine.  The thing is with Mig welders is to keep the thing lovely and dry, best stored indoors. They are quite complex inside, mainly the wire transport mechanism which can get jerky if not looked after  Bits can very easily get a coating of rust on them, especially the welding wire when left in it. out in cold or damp storage conditions,  never mind the electrics getting damp.

• Greenie 1

Just now, bizzard said:

For occasional jobs I'm sure it'll do fine.  The thing is with Mig welders is to keep the thing lovely and dry, best stored indoors. They are quite complex inside, mainly the wire transport mechanism which can get jerky if not looked after  Bits can very easily get a coating of rust on them, especially the welding wire when left in it. out in cold or damp storage conditions,  never mind the electrics getting damp.

Good tips. Thanks. My workshop tends to be damp and cold. 

2 minutes ago, Robbo said:

I have a similar Clarke mig, I tend to use the no gas wire as it’s just a bit easier.  I’m a beginner welder as well, I got a auto thingy helmet as it a bit easier than the cheapos that come with the welder.  

Thats the best helmet if your just beginning to weld. But if you've  been welding a long time and always been used to a handheld shield I find them dangerous. With the helmet shield one now has a free hand with nothing to do which might-will, believe me, wander towards something very hot, like into the arc.

I did a small welding course a couple of years ago and he reckons that a stick welder is better especially if doing any welding outdoors (say on a boat ?) as mig needs still air or the Gas shield gets blown away and then lots of oxide forms.  That said, mig is easier.

If you do consider a stick welder then think about an inverter welder as they have better power factor and lower spikes so are more able to run on a 13A supply, or generator.

30 minutes ago, Robbo said:

I have a similar Clarke mig, I tend to use the no gas wire as it’s just a bit easier.  I’m a beginner welder as well, I got a auto thingy helmet as it a bit easier than the cheapos that come with the welder.  

Yup, I have an auto helmet. I’ve stuck stuff together with a cheap arc welder before but I thought I’d try to do something a bit neater with mig. Do you find the no-gas wire splutters much?

2 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

I did a small welding course a couple of years ago and he reckons that a stick welder is better especially if doing any welding outdoors (say on a boat ?) as mig needs still air or the Gas shield gets blown away and then lots of oxide forms.  That said, mig is easier.

If you do consider a stick welder then think about an inverter welder as they have better power factor and lower spikes so are more able to run on a 13A supply, or generator.

I’ve stuck stuff together with cheap stick welders before but at low power I find it really difficult to strike an arc without sticking the rod to the work. Maybe I just suck at welding and should save my money.

5 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Yup, I have an auto helmet. I’ve stuck stuff together with a cheap arc welder before but I thought I’d try to do something a bit neater with mig. Do you find the no-gas wire splutters much?

I’ve stuck stuff together with cheap stick welders before but at low power I find it really difficult to strike an arc without sticking the rod to the work. Maybe I just suck at welding and should save my money.

Striking the arc with rods needs a sharp bold donk, withdraw slightly and hold,  with no nervous dithering.

18 minutes ago, WotEver said:

To be honest it’s been a while, so not sure.  I got the gas/no gas welder so could choose.  I believe the gas option is better on thinner steel or for a nicer weld.  The no gas is good outside as you don’t have the wind issue.  I tend to only stick things together every now and again so it is useful to have.

Edited by Robbo

24 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

Seconded.  Try one of these:

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-at135-arc-tigmma-inverter-welder/

or these:

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-at133-arc-tigmma-inverter-welder/

Edited by TheBiscuits

I’m a welding virgin, but keen to give it a try using YouTube videos for training?

What could possibly go wrong!

After watching this review and being amazed at the low price, I’m probably going to order one from Bangood.

Just £87 delivered in 4-9 business days!

Thats unless someone here who actually knows what’s what’s about welding thinks it’s a bad idea?

https://m.banggood.com/Portable-MINI-IGBT-ZX7-200-Full-Copper-Core-DC-Inverter-200A-ARC-Welding-Machine-p-1224224.html?gmcCountry=GB&currency=GBP&createTmp=1&cur_warehouse=CN&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=cpc_union&utm_content=2zou&utm_campaign=ssc-gb-en-all&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxIPNybz63gIVCc53Ch2Awg_IEAQYASABEgJ5PfD_BwE

I'm only a serious amateur, and have not welded for over ten years now, but for a beginner I would go for MIG rather than stick and just avoid welding outdoors on windy days. Some Migs have a two stage trigger that gets the gas going before the current/wirefeed and I reckon this helps a lot.

However if you want the ultimate in welding satisfaction and a bit of meditation thrown in then its really hard to beat gas welding. I was taught to gas weld then moved on to mig which is much easier and quicker but its hard to beat the satisfaction of playing with fire.

............Dave

5 hours ago, WotEver said:

Turn the current UP a bit and do as Bizz says. Feint heart strikes no weld pool.

5 hours ago, WotEver said:

I find it really difficult to strike an arc without sticking the rod to the work.

This is of course, why they are called 'stick' welders..... 

:giggles:

5 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Turn the current UP a bit and do as Bizz says. Feint heart strikes no weld pool.

I find my dirt cheap LIdle stick welder will only strike with very thin electrodes like 1.5mm however high I turn it up so far from sure about any cheap welder. It does me for sticking metal together with what has been referred to as "sparrow crap" welds. I am sure an auto-helmet would help the striking issue though because I am probably most of the problem..

2 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

I find my dirt cheap LIdle stick welder will only strike with very thin electrodes like 1.5mm however high I turn it up so far from sure about any cheap welder. It does me for sticking metal together with what has been referred to as "sparrow crap" welds. I am sure an auto-helmet would help the striking issue though because I am probably most of the problem..

Is it a cheap arc welder or one of the inverter ones? 

8 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

This is of course, why they are called 'stick' welders..... 

:giggles:

I do like that comment ?

Concentration, a steady hand and a bit of nerve are the ingredients for welding, but all forms of welding are in fact "stick" welding. Sometimes the mig wire just sticks to the job and the wire feed then pushes you away, sometimes you see a whole "Christmas Tree" growing from a weld where the welder has struggled to start. With with gas welding its very easy to get the filler rod totally stuck to the job, though this happens less and less as you get better, this is the nerve bit...don't stick the rod in till you've got a nice big puddle of molten metal.

................Dave

3 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

Absolutely it would. I was assuming everyone used these nowadays. You can see the workpiece perfectly adequately to strike the arc with an auto-dimming helmet. 

9 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Yup, having watched that Bangood video review above I realised that the sticking electrode coincided with me switching the little welder to the ‘Low’ setting. I shall persevere with it on the ‘High’ setting (it’s only an Aldi special) until/if I buy a mig. 

Cheers. 

4 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

It does me for sticking metal together with what has been referred to as "sparrow crap" welds.

Mine have been called pigeon shit. But the bits of metal stay stuck together so it works for me ;)

22 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Absolutely it would. I was assuming everyone used these nowadays. You can see the workpiece perfectly adequately to strike the arc with an auto-dimming helmet. 

Note my post 7 though, be very aware if you don't want a fried frazzled hand.  Best to lash the free hand behind you back.

5 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Yup, having watched that Bangood video review above I realised that the sticking electrode coincided with me switching the little welder to the ‘Low’ setting. I shall persevere with it on the ‘High’ setting (it’s only an Aldi special) until/if I buy a mig. 

Cheers. 

Mine have been called pigeon shit. But the bits of metal stay stuck together so it works for me ;)

Actually the Aldi Inverter welder isn't bad, I've tried one.