Complete newbies

David Chapman

Featured Posts

8 minutes ago, David Chapman said:

Me and my wife Margarita are so new the only experiance we have is 2 days reading and watching youtube.  Our intention is to buy a narrow boat (hopefully as a project) and liveaboard.

We need loads of advice, signposting and information so we're looking forward to talking to everybody

Did you watch Rosie and Jim?they are Deities on this Forum !Welcome?

• Sad 1

Welcome.

OK, lets get a few Q's asked.

1] why

2]where

PS. there are a lot of great guys on here [including gals and "not telling"], and lots love to pull your leg, jyst sayin'

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rosie-Jim-Canal-Boat-Barge-Narrow-boat-And-3-Figures-Bath-Toy-/183542399577

Edited by LadyG

I think reality is sinking in ...........................

I like this one, it has style :)

http://newandusedboat.co.uk/used-boats-for-sale/986

This might be over your  budget, its got a lot of traditional features.

https://narrowboats.apolloduck.com/boat/narrow-boats-traditional/567310

Brokers sell boats, not all are private sales

https://www.abnb.co.uk/boat_pages/3408web/3408abnb.php?BoatID=3408

Edited by LadyG

Well this is how I thought the process would go;

find a boat I am happy with and pay for it

get it to where it's near me (Manchester) by lorry or sailing it

pay to have it in the water 

easy peasy lemon squeezy?  

14 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Another suggestion is to avoid "projects" like the plague, esp if you are "innocents"

I am time severed engineer and I now have my own DIY business ( DIY Guys Manchester) so the work doesn't bother me, just need the time and space to do it

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, David Chapman said:

Well this is how I thought the process would go;

find a boat I am happy with and pay for it

get it to where it's near me (Manchester) by lorry or sailing it

pay to have it in the water 

easy peasy lemon squeezy?  

I am time severed engineer and I now have my own DIY business ( DIY Guys Manchester) so the work doesn't bother me, just need the time and space to do it

Severed ?oh no!could they not Stitch it back on??

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Welcome.

OK, lets get a few Q's asked.

1] why

2]where

PS. there are a lot of great guys on here [including gals and "not telling"], and lots love to pull your leg, jyst sayin'

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rosie-Jim-Canal-Boat-Barge-Narrow-boat-And-3-Figures-Bath-Toy-/183542399577

The why is the main thing for many reasons;

different life style, we have a caravan and love going out to the countryside 

I need to rent my house out and bring my living costs down (long story)

I want a long term plan for when I'm retiring age

and why not?  I want an adventure, an experience, a challenge

we're in Manchester, if it was up to me I would have us finish work and live and work on the boat 

4 minutes ago, cereal tiller said:

Cut that out, please.

David, you've already had some sound advice here - and don't think that the words of warning are a personal dig in any way, the waterways are littered with "project boats" whose owners found that they had bitten off more than they could chew. I guess that keeping your initial costs down is the reason for seeking such a boat but, as suggested above, they can end up costing much more than you expected.

Your background in engineering and handicraft will serve you well, though, if you do decide to take that route. How are you with electrics and gas?

16 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I think reality is sinking in ...........................

This might be over budget?

https://narrowboats.apolloduck.com/boat/narrow-boats-traditional/567310

OMG ladyG if I had that money I would pay my mortgage off, buy a boat and live on it full time 

8 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Looks like a vacancy at New Islington Marina will be coming up soon.

I'm Manchester and as my wife wants to carry on working we can't travel during the week yet

9 minutes ago, cereal tiller said:

Ha blind typing

2 minutes ago, Athy said:

Cut that out, please.

David, you've already had some sound advice here - and don't think that the words of warning are a personal dig in any way, the waterways are littered with "project boats" whose owners found that they had bitten off more than they could chew. I guess that keeping your initial costs down is the reason for seeking such a boat but, as suggested above, they can end up costing much more than you expected.

Your background in engineering and handicraft will serve you well, though, if you do decide to take that route. How are you with electrics and gas?

Electrics, gas, plumbing I already do so not much issue there, I now make furniture so my skill base is improving, if it doesn't workout I hang my head in shame and we go back to living in our house 

Well, here's the first bomb?

It's not a cheap option, maybe £5K pa if you're lucky, you can do a search on here for costs.

If you rent out your house you will probably be taxed on the income, but you can't claim on your boaty outgoings, so be careful. You might be better off using your labour to earn cash rather than "saving" on a project, others will advise.

Oh, I see you have a mortgage, you must check if you can rent it out without problem, insurance will be yet another complication ...........................

Edited by LadyG

yes it is a tricky one but I am determined to give it a go, not sure how or when but I'll figure it out and expect it's going to be hard at times

51 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Hopefully complete the project before moving onboard. Moving aboard first is a stupid way of doing it.......ask me how I know!

I can not imagine what your experience has been, but yes I want to moor it, finish it then move on.  That gives us time to try some time on it at weekends and holidays to find out if we can do it

• Happy 1